Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bubble or Cruiser Skirts

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Krash Vegas, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Krash Vegas

Krash Vegas

Ive got a pair for my 56 Merc and I hate the way they attatch. Looking for ideas on how you guys that run them hold them on. These currently have studs with wing nuts, which works, but once the glass goes in, rear door panels and then the seat, it makes getting them off a real hassel. I don't mind the wing nut in the trunk as that is easy, but its the ones on the front part of the quarter that has me scratchin my head.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  2. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Sorry, I can't answer your question but I had to post, "NICE CHOP"!

3. Krash Vegas

Krash Vegas

4. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

5. My skirts aren't as big as yours but i had the same problem trying to attach them with no hardware showing. So what i came up with was a seperate front 'scoop' on the leading edge which is seperate to cover up the fastener for the skirt. So the first thing to come off is the scoop which i made and is held by 2 wing nuts inside the wheel house. The skirt is bolted underneath frt and back under the body with a stud at the top rear and a wing nut in the trunk. Skirt also has a 'u' channel to saddle into the upper wheel opening to secure it more.
    Maybe you can use the same concept to adapt.
    I spent a ton of time on these homemade skirts but i'm happy with them.

Attached Files:

6. Krash Vegas

Krash Vegas

Thats a very cool idea!

7. Hemi j

Hemi j
    from Colorado

No offense but they don't flow, I'm building a full custom 55 Merc and all I do is dream and think about this stupid car. The side pods of 55/56 Mercs with a little help flow really well with no or stock skirts. Hanging large skirts on them just disrupts the lines. Sorry

8. Agreed. They are doing nothing positive for the look of that car.

9. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

If you've already got a hole in the quarter panel, why not 'glas a small 'hook' into the skirt and slip that into the hole first as you put the skirt on...that way it'd hold the front tight to the quarter and wouldn't require a wing nut...

At the rear of the skirt, may I suggest you add material to make the skirt longer going all the way to the bumper, that way, it'd hide the body line back there and make a smoother transition, thus smoothing the whole look of the car.

Personally, I like the skirts on the car...but then again, what do I know about building a kustom: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329070&highlight=the+best+55+caddy+build

R-

10. dan31

dan31

Tedley,the time you spent on those skirts was worth it. They look awesome.

11. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

I like the looks of the bubble skirts on your car. Here are a couple of photos of how mine are mounted. I was able to use the existing body molding holes for the mounting brackests but you can make your own, use 2 seperate mounting brackets about 4 inches long with about 1/4"gap beween the bracket and the body. Then glass matching brackets on the skirts and slip them on. I have 2 small mounting brackets on the bottom of each end of the skirts to screw onto body which are not visible fron the side or top. Larry

Attached Files:

12. my Inkster skirts got a bolt on each end and the body panels are open in each end as I got a 8 inch chanell
    I have never had any of them off yet!!

got a pic on my profile ,too old to do a quick link

13. agreed, at least not those.
    the lines on those dont jive with the lines on the car, just looks odd to me, looks like something you found laying around and slapped it on the side of your cool car.
    I dunno, its not my car and not trying to offend, I dig the idea and your car and the look your going for, I just think these are wrong application.
    Tedley your car is pimp, the skirts look/flow fantastic !

14. Wow I dig that car! Please put some shiny paint on her! The skirts look great on there...keep em!

15. I*like the overall look of the car. Paint will make a great difference.

16. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Dont really have anything constructive to add but that chop is near on perfect! Im planning in making bubble skirts for my chevy in the next few months so will keep in eye on this thread

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. Not trying to hi-jack the post, but I had to comment.

Tedley, your little shoebox is awesome! Gotta love a Ford business coupe. Great car! E