Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bubbbba

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by bob hindman, Dec 17, 2006.

1. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Mr Mac..
    The goal is to have it at the upcoming ( 2nd week of Feb) World of Wheels car show here in Indianapolis.

May get it back fromToms late this week. Then its tear down paint etc. Got some geometry issues with the lakewood scattershield and the 302 gmc. I used a adapter plate made by Buffalo on the inliners site to mate up a chevy housing to the jimmy. Had to machine a couple things to get it just right.

Thinking about a shade of yellow and call it the Waffle House Special!! Thats where we end up having our dragster meetings.:D

2. Rand Man

Rand Man

Looks professional. I'm not real familiar with your situation. Seems like you're running a rod shop with several working full time. Should turn out pretty nice.

3. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Go ahead and drive this over on saturday. Does it have an umbrella mounting bracket yet or should I bring one over?

4. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Thanks we like the word "professional" .:)

In reality i have been more than blessed with a ton of friends that just happen to share my vision of having fun with cars.

Our hot rod shop ( Bubbas Hot Rod Shop) just happended as i have another building away from my main business (Linder Fuel Injection) on Gasoline Alley in Indianapolis. Gasoline Alley as well as Indys west side is a dream place for car junkies as there are tons ( too many to count) metal fab shops etc in this area. Many of which are not only "old school" they are just plain old guys still hammering metal etc.

Tom Culberson ( Culberson Customs) is also on the west side. Tom can turn a car out using almost no resourses quicker than anyone i have ever seen. He is the magic on our dragster !

The problem is ( yes it can be a problem) is that anything you can imagine can and does happen on the alley. Want a part , there is more than likely a guy that can make it and get it done today.
    Our dragster is a combo of that talent !!!

Me? I just had the vision provided by you guys at mo-kan last year and some ole stuff laying around. We ran the single engine flathead dragster and had a ball.
    Hopefully all you guys will attend our Bubbas Trailer Park " Spam-a -rama at goodguys Indy this year.
    We have two events set for the Goodguys event and would like to have all the hambsters on display at each. Friday evening is the spamarama at Bubbas Trailer Park and Sat is open house cookout at Culbersons Customs. Both will be a jam packed event with tons of all kinds of cars etc.

You coming to Indy for this event??

5. Rand Man

Rand Man

Our situations are a lot different. I built mine (with my son) on one side of a two-car garage. I'm not sure that I can go to Indy. I've got to count every penny. It should be fun though

6. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Another update:

Shes a roller !! Took Tom the rod ends and some other little stuff yesterday . The hambster is on its wheels! WOW, these guys are gettin it done.
    Tom fitted the steering shaft and seat to me yesterday and i need to get by the belt guys shop today and get some belts so they can finish the seay and blet mounts etc.
    Pretty cool, the GMC is set back quite a bit and i still have tons of room setting in the car.
    Looks like everything is pretty much servicable on the car and it is amazing how simple the car really is!
    Setting in the car gives ya a bit of a rush when you think that everything on this car is pre 1962. In reality all the parts could have been aquired in 1957 ! The " Spirit of the Bug" is pretty realistic on this ride.
    Next ? Is the body and brakes and then back to my shop for tear down paint etc. I have some basic idea on paint scheme and graphics .
    More to come as the week goes on.

Attached Files:

7. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Well i didnt really get much done today with the dragster. One of those days i guess, Tom got some more stuff done with the throttle linkage ( some cool mechanical rods etc) The gas petal, brake handle ( model a ford) and steering wheel are all hand made by Tom. He made a really neat butterfly steering wheel and 29Sedanman picked it up to make the little wood handle inserts.
    I picked up my new set of seatbelts and harness stuff today and took them to Toms and found out they didnt have any hardware with them. Got to go back tomorrow. Also picked up our driveshaft tunnel tube ( a six inch by 10 inch long 1/4 inch steel tube) Tom thinks it is too heavy!
    Didnt get the header tubes bent today as the muffler shop dudes machine broke yesterday. May be mid week before we get them done.
    The entire vehicle looks like it just rolled out on a street in 1959 or so. I will get some more pics tomorrow morning after breakfast and get them up for the week end.

Good news , i did eat at Waffle House twice today! Breakfast and
    Lunch ! Plan on breakfast tomorrow morning as well!! Cheese eggs and raisin toast !!!:)

8. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

keep them pics comming

an dont forget, keep your sponsor happy... cheezy taters YUM

9. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

10in 1/4 in steel tube Wow! Keep that weight coming Bubba.:D :D

10. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Tom didnt like the weight of the tube and is doing something else. he told me yesterday if you can throw it up in the air and it hits the floor its too heavy! :)

We have really did some different stuff to get this cars weight down ( you cant include the big motor:) ).

Anyone weighed their car ??

How about a front to rear weight ??

I would like to hear what some of these things weigh???

I will weigh mine as soon as i get it back home and painted etc.
    Pretty close to that point now and for sure will be close to done next week.

11. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Damn! You guys are catching on real fast.
    We learned after the first year that weight was a big factor,cause the little flathead dont like alot of weight. Yep,We weighed the car but there is some things you just dont tell. Especially to a six cylinder guy.:D :D :D

12. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Some detail pics of the HA/GR car.
    The throttle linkage is pure mechanical ( no cables) with a toe strap to be added for extra release if needed. Brakes use a tilson cylinder and a model A brake handle. Rear view shows cage construction and cage shot shows head placement for helment at back.
    Front view shows the Morris front beam axle ( 19 inch wire wheels) and elipical springs. Gonna ( is that a word :) ) make a single front shock center mounted next week. Steering is a Tom C work of art with a Crossley box and home made ( torch cut) drag link etc. Intake is a two four homemade unit out of a rectangular piece of steel, thin wall.
    We may not ever race this thing , just set around and look at the cool stuff on it and fire it up every now and then??:) :) pics in next post.

13. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

oops forgot the pics??

Attached Files:

14. Godzilla

Godzilla

It is a shame that you are so far from Oklahoma. I would really like to see your car making laps. It is very "in the spirit" and has that "just right" look to it. If I can make it to Indy maybe I will be able to park "RODAN" in the next lane to you and we can melt off some rubber. Very cool.................indeed.

15. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Beautiful work guys.:)

16. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

Very nice work. I've got to get started. What transmission are you going to use? LIke you I intend to run a gmc but I'm starting with a 270.
    Pete

17. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

We have an old three speed ( short trans) out of a truck. May only use high gear?
    From what i have read the 270 is a torque monster as well as the 302. I read somewhere that the 270 would take a huge bore job.

This whole project has really been a fun build.:)

18. sgtmcd42

sgtmcd42

Looking real good!!

19. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Another update.
    Went by Toms shop today and he has got the body looking killer. We decided that i already had some aluminum from my teardrop trailer shop ( www.bubbastrailerpark.com) that we should make the body out of aluminum. We used .052 material. Tom rolled out the top and both sides with a small bead at the top and a large triangle bead on each side . Pretty cool , changed my mind about painting the car, i think we will just polish the skin and decal it from there.
    We only have a couple things to add before tear down and paint the chassis etc. Got to get a fuel tank , fuel pump and seat belt hardware. 29Sedanman had the steering wheel ( homemade butterfly) putting wood grips on it. he does good work and kinda volunteered to do them.
    Check out the old mailbox for a air cleaner. The News hasnt been in business for some time in Indy so that fits the spirit as well.

Attached Files:

20. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

That turned out sweet. I don't think it needs paint either. Save that money to buy drinks to wash down your damn olives.

21. That really looks sweet, great to see.

Your next HAMB drags is going to KICK BUTT!!!!......damn that bit of water between here and there.....

Cheers,

Drewfus:D

22. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Looking real good Bubba. I am a couple days behind on the wheel. I have had the flu the last couple of days. I will get back on it and try to have it to you by Monday.

23. Ron Golden

Ron Golden

Bubba,

The car look GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron

24. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Wish we were that far along but progress takes time. We haven't got all the parts gathered yet!

PS Bubba your's is looking great.

25. bob hindman

bob hindman

Wow.........

Hiney........

26. CrkInsp

CrkInsp
    from B.A. OK

Bubbba, your front motor mount interests me. how about a closeup. Looks like You have done a fine job on your hot rod. Can't wait to see it run.

27. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

OK Bubba... lets see some tech about rolling them body panel reveals... LOVE the look of the body... dont paint! polish!!!! :D

28. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Tom Culberson ( Culberson Customs) is lurking here somewhere and i will discuss with him to see if he is willing to show us how he did those panels.
    More than likely he will. Right Tom??

The amazing thing about this entire car is the total lack of mail order parts. No bling etc. The only shiney store bought part was the spool inside the rear axle and i bought it pretty cheap at the Louisville Swap meet from a vendor that really wanted to get rid of it.

29. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

A couple of pics. Tom has a dragster than we ran at Mo-Kan last year. Seems the half moon mounts are a period thing. A hose clamp or two actually holds the engine plates to the frame in a couple spots. Found a pic of one of Garlits frames and thats the way they did it back then.

Makes all the sense in the world, for service just raise the engine with a jack and roll the car backward for clutch etc.??
    Thanks to Tom for this idea....

Attached Files:

30. bob hindman

bob hindman

whats going on????????

HINEY........