Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Bruce Lancaster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chiro, Oct 24, 2019.

1. 26Troadster

26Troadster

was hoping to hear some good news as well.

2. [/QUOTE]
    Beth, I did talk with him on Thursday at Hershey. I introduced my friend AVater, here, on the HAMB to him at the same time. I have known your father for many years, and had several good conversations with him. I wish him well, he is too good a person, and a source of information to lose. Pleas keep us informed of his progress. Thanks, nick.

Lil32 and Stogy like this.
  3. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

[/QUOTE]

Yes, be SURE to keep us posted and please tell Bruce that all his friends on the HAMB are praying for him.
    I literally, just last night, was looking over a bunch of stuff he sent me. I even looked at Google maps to see just how far and how I could make a road trip happen so I could meet him. Fight hard, Bruce!

Tell him we have some unfinished tech articles on 97's to finish....

OG lil E, Lil32, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  4. jim snow

jim snow

Praying for Bruce. Snowman

Lil32, lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  5. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I have just read this whole thread, start to finish, and I keep hoping to find a post from Beth, informing us that Bruce is recovering. The man is a fountain of knowledge and, as has been said, he passes it on freely without making you feel like an imbecile for asking the question.
    This shows me that he is not only a knowledgeable man, but also a man worthy of all our respect and brotherly love.
    Get well soon Bruce.

6. 41fastback

41fastback

7. OMG! Very tragic news indeed. He will be missed. Condolences to his family and friends. May he rest in peace.

8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Dammit.... Rest In Peace

9. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

Dang, I sat out on the side line too long.....God speed, Bruce, I hope to see you on the other side!

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

sincere sympathy to his Family, friends and those that knew him via the H.A.M.B.

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Bruce is missed already. The HAMB will be a lesser place without him.

mgtstumpy, Lil32, 53 effie and 4 others like this.
  12. town sedan

town sedan

I always paid attention when Bruce would post. Sorry I never got to shake his hand.
    -Dave

mgtstumpy, lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  13. What a loss for his family first and then the rest of the world. I always read his posts and took many a mental note for future reference.

14. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Bruce was real. I will miss him.

I wish I would have PMed him about using a 4 bolt Mercury Carb and intake on a 8BA. His article claimed that set up, if done right, was as good or better than all the aftermarket goodies.

That was the thing about Bruce. He gave real world info.

I wish I would have made that contact. Not for the info....
    But for that personal connection.

15. saltracer219

saltracer219

Prayers for his family, he will be missed. God Speed Bruce!

Lil32, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  16. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Bad news indeed, I had kept hoping for news of a recovery.

17. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Terrible news. RIP Bruce.

Lil32, lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  18. frank spittle

frank spittle

There is no one on the HAMB who's posts I respected more than Bruce Lancaster's. When he took the time to post I was 100% sure you could take it to the bank. I will miss his knowledge being displayed here. R.I.P. Bruce and my condolences to his family.

19. ... greatest Ford librarian on the planet. :(

Good night, world.

20. williebill

williebill

So sorry to read this. I appreciate how much he helped anyone on the HAMB who needed his wisdom, but he also seemed like a very genuine, nice guy. Would have liked to have met him. RIP Bruce.

OG lil E, Lil32, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  21. belair

belair

Another living document lost to us. Treasure your friends, fellas because that's what they are.

22. brjnelson

brjnelson

I will miss his advice about Ford stuff...........

OG lil E, Lil32 and Stogy like this.
  23. 26Troadster

26Troadster

RIP Bruce

Lil32 and Stogy like this.
  24. MrModelT

MrModelT

Boy, what a shame. I certainly have not been here since the beginning, but certainly more than a decade.

I had a number of discussions with Bruce about flatheads and such and was always impressed by the knowledge base that seemed to be endless. This may be one of the most impactful losses for the HAMB and Hot Rod Community from both an informational and friendship stand point.

Safe Travels Bruce, you will be missed here.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  25. jim snow

jim snow

Bummer. May God rest his soul. Snowman

lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  26. Bruce has always been a man of few words but you could take every single one of them to the bank, he never once got involved in any petty arguments but was always a wealth of knowledge and the information he shared was without any strings.

The sun will never again shine on the hamb or The Ford quiet as bright as it did yesterday but Bruce has left us with his wisdom throughout the hundreds of post and will always be a member I have in high esteem.

So long Bruce, until we meet again, and to Beth and the entire family, please know you are in our hearts a prayers, your dad was a good man. HRP

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  27. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I can’t express how broken-hearted I am to hear Bruce left us.
    His written words over the past decades will forever be documented for us and future generations.
    A very kind soul willing to share everything. Bruce. See you on the other side. Rick.

I posted this on a thread many years ago.
    The web page is non existent but I was lucky enough to capture the article.

Shelf Life: Bruce Lancaster’s bookshelves offer a window into his—and Drew’s—history

by Margery Ashmun, Reference Librarian

Since grade school, we’ve been told that when it comes to others, we shouldn’t judge a book by its cover. That said, like any rule, there remain some fun and noteworthy exceptions, where someone’s surroundings and what they collect shines a light on their inner self. Meet Drew University Library’s Bruce Lancaster, our longtime reference associate and a delightful exception to this axiom.
    Just poke your head through Bruce’s office door— it’s typically open—and his unique background and interests quickly become apparent. Bruce’s desk, bookshelves and walls are brimming with more than four decades of intriguing collectibles, from the humorous cartoons he circulates throughout the Reference Department to his toys, gadgets, magazines and a quirky cache of odds ’n ends. To the casual observer or first-time visitor, what may look like flotsam and jetsam actually hold clues to an interesting and varied life, a timeline of items ranging from World War II paraphernalia and cartoon character figurines to relics of Bruce’s early and recent years at Drew.
    There’s no shortage of eye-catching items worth investigating. Start with the figurine of two mini-rats—one black, one white— engaged in hand-to-hand combat. While immediately familiar as pop culture kitsch, they also offer hints of Bruce’s interest in the intersection of art, politics and satire. In fact, the roiled rodents represent a slice of classic Cold War humor—MAD Magazine’s “Spy vs Spy” cartoons—the creation of Antonio Prohias, a Cuban artist and political activist. Prohias became a contributor to MAD after fleeing Cuba in 1960, when his caustic cartoons critical of the Castro regime raised hackles with the new dictator, who accused him of spying for the CIA. These figurines reflect both Bruce’s dry, dark sense of humor and his longtime interest in geopolitical affairs, something he cultivated from his earliest days as a child of the military.

A Man of the World
    Bruce was born in China in the 1940s to a family headed by a former Marine Corps colonel (Bruce Lancaster Sr.), who worked as a Foreign Service officer stationed at the American Embassy in Nanking. After many years of serving the United States at diplomatic outposts around the globe (England, Germany and Hungary among them), the elder Lancaster rose to the rank of deputy assistant secretary of state under President Lyndon Johnson. As a result of his father’s service and having lived in Asia, South America and Europe, Bruce has long had a front-row seat for world affairs.

Arriving at Drew in the early 1970s, Bruce started as a student in the Theological School prior to joining the library staff. Over the years, his talents have been utilized across various departments, but ultimately Bruce found his niche within the reference area. His institutional knowledge is second to none, and he’s a go-to source for most things library related. For a hint about Bruce’s history here, consider a small wooden device known as a Gaylord Fine Computer, which he fondly refers to as the library’s first computer. While looking eerily similar to a golf tee pegboard game that one might play at a family restaurant, the Gaylord is more likely a distant cousin of the abacus. Its sole function: calculating overdue fines for library users. Bruce discovered the device as a student employee around 1972, finding it tucked into a drawer deep in the Circulation Department. Immediately intrigued, he saved the device after it had become obsolete for his own burgeoning collection, where it remains today.
    A small, manila-colored card entitled How to Teach reveals a clue to how an unconventional reference professional like Bruce might have developed his instruction skills. Look closely and you’ll notice a step-by-step list of tips for individuals who are new to the role of teacher. Produced by the U.S. War Instruction Board during WWII, it was distributed to American manufacturers charged with training unskilled labor, those people replacing regular employees who’d become involved in fighting the war itself. Bruce found this government relic during one of his favorite idylls: trolling New Jersey’s ubiquitous flea markets. He was intrigued by its no-nonsense tips, as well as the plight of U.S. companies teaching nontraditional workers the skills needed to stoke America’s war effort at home.

Alongside all the cool tchotchkes lining Lancaster’s shelves, you’ll also find actual books—a slew of them, many offering their own insight into his life and work at Drew. Before judging them by their covers, though, take time to chat with Bruce. You’ll come away with some great stories about the library, its history and its most colorful staffer.

This story originally appeared in Visions, The Library Newsletter, Spring 2017

nailhead29A, OG lil E, Thor1 and 12 others like this.
  28. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Awful news. Bruce was one of the few people on here where when he spoke, you listened. My condolences for his friends and family, and selfishly, for this board, that has lost a wealth of knowledge in his passing. RIP Bruce.

29. carbking

carbking

Prayers to his family!

African proverb - "when an old man dies, a library is burned". In Bruce, we lost a huge library. But more than that; in the time I have been on the H.A.M.B., I can never recall a derogatory post by Bruce, or even a cross word to anyone. A true gentleman.

Rest in peace.

Jon.

30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Condolences to the Lancaster Family and friends on this unfortunate news of the passing of Bruce...his words here will always inspire and remind us of his giving soul...and positivity

@41fastback thanks for sharing this loss with us...