Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Bruce Lancaster: Words of Wisdom...and a Laugh

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anothercarguy, Jan 6, 2018.

1. So...I'm over on the Fordbarn trying to figure out the purpose of the loose cotter pin in the bottom of my flathead oilpan (in clutch area) when I came across these words of wisdom from Bruce...I laughed so hard I thought I would share (and of course give credit where credit is due...Good one Bruce!):

"Remember those old Murray Fahnestock manuals explaining Ford features in a Question and Answer format??
    Here's my take:

Q. Why does the new Ford have a cotter key hanging out the bottom of the bell??

A. Its natural shaking as the car is driven ensures that the hole will not become blocked by dirt.

Q. Why is the hole there?

A. To allow oil leaking from the engine to drain out before it can get to the clutch frictions.

Q. Why does the oil leak so??

A. The leak is provided in order to prevent the formation of rust on the cotter pin.

So there. Skilled engineers design everything as a system. "

2. bct

bct

Logical.

anothercarguy likes this.
  3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Good old Bruce. I sure hope hes doing well..

Hes gonna kill me for this :)
    Miss you buddy!!

https://www.drew.edu/library/2017/0...ves-offer-a-window-into-his-and-drews-history

Shelf Life: Bruce Lancaster’s bookshelves offer a window into his—and Drew’s—history

by Margery Ashmun, Reference Librarian

Since grade school, we’ve been told that when it comes to others, we shouldn’t judge a book by its cover. That said, like any rule, there remain some fun and noteworthy exceptions, where someone’s surroundings and what they collect shines a light on their inner self. Meet Drew University Library’s Bruce Lancaster, our longtime reference associate and a delightful exception to this axiom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]Just poke your head through Bruce’s office door— it’s typically open—and his unique background and interests quickly become apparent. Bruce’s desk, bookshelves and walls are brimming with more than four decades of intriguing collectibles, from the humorous cartoons he circulates throughout the Reference Department to his toys, gadgets, magazines and a quirky cache of odds ’n ends. To the casual observer or first-time visitor, what may look like flotsam and jetsam actually hold clues to an interesting and varied life, a timeline of items ranging from World War II paraphernalia and cartoon character figurines to relics of Bruce’s early and recent years at Drew.

[​IMG]There’s no shortage of eye-catching items worth investigating. Start with the figurine of two mini-rats—one black, one white— engaged in hand-to-hand combat. While immediately familiar as pop culture kitsch, they also offer hints of Bruce’s interest in the intersection of art, politics and satire. In fact, the roiled rodents represent a slice of classic Cold War humor—MAD Magazine’s “Spy vs Spy” cartoons—the creation of Antonio Prohias, a Cuban artist and political activist. Prohias became a contributor to MAD after fleeing Cuba in 1960, when his caustic cartoons critical of the Castro regime raised hackles with the new dictator, who accused him of spying for the CIA. These figurines reflect both Bruce’s dry, dark sense of humor and his longtime interest in geopolitical affairs, something he cultivated from his earliest days as a child of the military.

A Man of the World
    Bruce was born in China in the 1940s to a family headed by a former Marine Corps colonel (Bruce Lancaster Sr.), who worked as a Foreign Service officer stationed at the American Embassy in Nanking. After many years of serving the United States at diplomatic outposts around the globe (England, Germany and Hungary among them), the elder Lancaster rose to the rank of deputy assistant secretary of state under President Lyndon Johnson. As a result of his father’s service and having lived in Asia, South America and Europe, Bruce has long had a front-row seat for world affairs.

[​IMG]Arriving at Drew in the early 1970s, Bruce started as a student in the Theological School prior to joining the library staff. Over the years, his talents have been utilized across various departments, but ultimately Bruce found his niche within the reference area. His institutional knowledge is second to none, and he’s a go-to source for most things library related. For a hint about Bruce’s history here, consider a small wooden device known as a Gaylord Fine Computer, which he fondly refers to as the library’s first computer. While looking eerily similar to a golf tee pegboard game that one might play at a family restaurant, the Gaylord is more likely a distant cousin of the abacus. Its sole function: calculating overdue fines for library users. Bruce discovered the device as a student employee around 1972, finding it tucked into a drawer deep in the Circulation Department. Immediately intrigued, he saved the device after it had become obsolete for his own burgeoning collection, where it remains today.

[​IMG]A small, manila-colored card entitled How to Teach reveals a clue to how an unconventional reference professional like Bruce might have developed his instruction skills. Look closely and you’ll notice a step-by-step list of tips for individuals who are new to the role of teacher. Produced by the U.S. War Instruction Board during WWII, it was distributed to American manufacturers charged with training unskilled labor, those people replacing regular employees who’d become involved in fighting the war itself. Bruce found this government relic during one of his favorite idylls: trolling New Jersey’s ubiquitous flea markets. He was intrigued by its no-nonsense tips, as well as the plight of U.S. companies teaching nontraditional workers the skills needed to stoke America’s war effort at home.

Alongside all the cool tchotchkes lining Lancaster’s shelves, you’ll also find actual books—a slew of them, many offering their own insight into his life and work at Drew. Before judging them by their covers, though, take time to chat with Bruce. You’ll come away with some great stories about the library, its history and its most colorful staffer.

This story originally appeared in Visions, The Library Newsletter, Spring 2017

Posted in Uncategorized, Visions

Stogy, Runnin shine, Hnstray and 10 others like this.
  4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

"So there. Skilled engineers design everything as a system." To conclude..... [​IMG]

5. Sure miss his Ford knowledge and infinite wit.
    Hoping for a soon return.

mad mikey and anothercarguy like this.
  6. frank spittle

frank spittle

Every time I read a Bruce Lancaster post I visualize a well used craftsman nearing the century mark giving us all good advise on almost every topic he decides too. Then I see his picture and realize he is younger than me. But never mind. I still see that "old man" when I read his posts.

Runnin shine likes this.
  7. belair

belair

He's one of those guys who has forgotten more than we'll ever know. But I don't think he forgets anything. Know that you are missed, Bruce.

Thor1, mad mikey and Kan Kustom like this.
  8. Bruce is a very knowledgeable man and if he post on any give subject I read and often learn something new.

I have a lot of respect for Bruce and visualize him as a ruler of his domain. HRP

[​IMG]

mad mikey likes this.
  9. Much RESPECT.:)

Thor1 and Hnstray like this.
  10. Bruce, I always enjoy talking with you and appreciate your knowledge. When you stop at my flea market spaces, I feel honored. I hope to see you again soon.

Runnin shine and mad mikey like this.