Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Brought my '41 Chevy coupe home (again)...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barsteel, May 21, 2016.

1. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

A few weeks ago I started a thread asking if anyone sold a car, only to buy it back again. Some had, some hadn't.

Well...I did.

I sold my '41 Chevy coupe about 2 years ago after converting it to an open drive line with a T5, 12V, new rims and tires, and an entire new braking system including discs up front. I found an OT muscle car that I really wanted, and the 216 in the Chevy was about as worn as motor could possibly get and still run, so down the road it went.

Fast forward to a few months ago, and the coupe re-appeared on Craig's List. The new owner had installed a rebuilt 235 with dual Webers, split headers, dual exhaust, a complete new wiring harness, and a few other upgrades. I went to see the car, and during the test drive, the temp started to really creep up, so it was clear that a new radiator was in order, not a surprise, since the car had the original radiator. I used that to knock the price down by a few hundred dollars, and now have an aluminum radiator on order from Superior Radiator.

Anyway, I ended up buying the car back for $700 more than he paid me for it, but I got a new built motor, wiring harness, and dual exhaust for my money. Not a bad deal, at least in my book.

Here's the car, in case anyone cares. It starts with one stomp on the starter, and most everything works.

Yes, it will need some floor work, but nothing major, mostly rot along the front edges, and the mid body supports. Doors open and close just as they should, and it starts with one stomp on the floor starter, and it runs really well.

Glad to have it back in my driveway.

Chris

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2016
    KoolKat-57 and Habitual like this.
  2. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Sounds like a good deal to me!
    Should be more fun and sound great too!
    KK

3. I dig it!! Always liked those coupes. But please god change tge steering wheel! If I can find an old Chevy one in my stash I'll send it to you just to help get another one of those awful rubber GM ones gone! Sorry for the rant...I'd be driving the wheels off of it!

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats -well, that is one way to get your ride fixed up

5. way better than the muscle car! nice ride!

6. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

You can't go wrong with that. I'm know guys that have had their cars in a shop longer than that and paid a whole lot more for less than you got. I'm with Jason on the steering wheel though, that thing has got to go.

7. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

That's cool how it worked out. I have a hopped up 292 Chevy in mine with the original radiator and it doesn't over heat. Maybe yours was blocked. Anyway, got any Picts of the engine? Hmmm, maybe I should sell mine and buy it back with a cool chop for $700 more! Lol

8. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

BTW, I have some spare parts off my 41 so if ya need something let me know.

9. Sporty45

Sporty45

Cool story. :cool: Did ya get to keep the muscle car, too? Or did that have to go to get the 41 back?

10. belair

belair

Good for you. Old friends are the best friends.

11. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Thanks for the replies!

I agree about the steering wheel. The PO did that, not me. I do have the original wheel, but I'm not sure if he kept all of the other parts, ie. the cup underneath, the nut, etc, so NashRod, I may be giving you a call.

Also, yes, the radiator is definitely plugged. After a 1/2 hr drive, the bottom of the radiator was cool over 90% of the fins, so it seems to have almost no flow.

Sporty - the OT muscle car was a '69 Mach 1, and yes, I still have it.

I'll get some pics of the motor in a day or two.

Chris