Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brought home my model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mjcat, Mar 12, 2014.

1. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

I like it unchopped. That's a good looking car.

2. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I'd put a thousand miles on it before I did anything.

3. Squablow

Squablow

4. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

I also vote for no chop, leave it how it is. Looks awesome, very nice.

5. 2935ford

2935ford

6. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Air cleaner, shifter, paint, not a fan of primer and it looks super straight. No chop! Great find congrats!

7. Nice CAR man! Rumble seats make good trunks. I think there is a lot of fun to be had in that rumble seat! I'd keep that! I'd also leave it unchopped.

8. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

Nice car, good for you! I like the way it looks right now so I would not chop it. I would can the shift knob also if it were mine:)

9. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

I would leave it un-chopped, full fendered, put in saddle tanks. Unsure on the rumble seat, I have one on my coupe, I cannot carry a spare tire. Luggage space is very limited, unless I remove the seat cushions. My grand kids love ridding in the rumble seat when I take them on a slow ride around the neighborhood.

10. That is really nice. I vote no chop. If it were mine and I had to keep the small block I'd get some rams horns ,60's corvette valve covers, 3 2's and helmets, sounds crazy but way less polished stuff on the motor... But it ain't mine so I'll shut the hell up now and say, killer car man!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

No chop. Great looking car, congrats!

12. 1. Fill tank
    2. Drive
    3. Repeat

Congrats looks like a great car to get!

13. If you think you want to chop it wait a year and see if you want to still. In the mean time drive it everywhere

14. imchris

imchris
    from Florida

I say chop, but then again I always say chop. Just makes it look meaner. Go from cool to awesome!

15. Drive it for six months before you think of chopping. You need to get a feel for your overhead. Like that helmet air cleaner, and yes, go more subtle on the shifter handle. As for trunk or rumble, my '29 had the trunk and I never could carry more than two people, but given the cramped space in the rumble seat, other posters have it right - too small for anything but children.

16. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Gotta love the HAMB, 50 guys saying no chop will be the same ones saying how good it looks after its chopped... If your not sure on a style look through some old hot rod mags for reference. I think a 3 or 4" chop and some subtle detail changes and that thing would be tough as hell. Nice ride, enjoy it !

17. OFT

OFT

I like it not chopped. Drive it as is, see if you can ride in a coupe or sedan (A) that has a chop you like. Most chop's look killer until you drive them, seeing out can be a issue.

18. 392modela

392modela

Chop chop chop 3-4 inches would be perfect

19. A couple of small things, air cleaner, shift knob, and as for the valve covers, I'd leave em and run the plug wires over them, to me those valve cover conversion kits look worse than leaving them alone. Here's what I did.
    You've got an awesome little coupe there, don't get caught up in changing it just because, drive it and enjoy it.

Attached Files:

20. upspirate

upspirate

I like the look.

As others have said,loose the air cleaner,shifter,catch can,I'm not fond of headers now I have them.

I found the rumble was useless on my '29,no one wanted to ride there,and they wouldn't drive and let me ride there.....limits luggage space too (I had a rack on the back for my cooler).

Personally I like a 2" chop, but If I were you, I'd drive it for a while and see if you want the trunk and chop.

Wish it was in my garage!!!:cool:

21. metalman

metalman

I'm usally against chopping tops (funny coming from a guy that's made a living chopping tops) but Model A's are the exception in my book. Unless it's a bone stocker I've never seen a A that didn't look better chopped. Personally I think 3" is perfect,any less and it's not that noticable, any more and it's a body with a hump on it.
    Looks like a stockish type seat, might do yourself a favor and tape off the top of the windows 3" and then drive it around a bit. Regardless of head room you need to know how you see out of it if you do chop it. Gets real old real fast if you have to duck all the time to see out. I had to rework the floor and package tray in the one I drive to get the seat down and back far enough I could tolerate driving it at all, even now it's still a bit of a crouch to see out. Of course being 6'4" doesn't help my case!
    Sweet little car by the way.

22. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Air cleaner, shift knob, no chop, DRIVE! Very nice car for sure.

23. You could mess with all our heads and chop it like 1 1/2"

24. sell it to me, I'll fix it.

25. mike bowling

mike bowling

Get the shiney crap off the motor ( get some" seasoned" old valve covers, a nice discreet air cleaner,etc.) maybe a little pin striping, and drive the wheels off it. If you want a chopped car, you have to save up and get another one, then you won't regret cutting this one up.Just kidding- do your thing and enjoy the hell out of it.nice car,good luck with it. Mike from Mass.

26. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Very nice...I like it the way it is .But IMO no chop with fenders , 4 inch chop w/o fenders.

27. aaggie

aaggie

Don't do anything permanent to it until you drive it for a year or so. Leave the rumble seat for now.

28. mjcat

mjcat

Thanks for all the replys!! I'm really stoked about this car especially since its my first A! I'm not gonna chop it, at least for right now. I want to drive it and enjoy it and see if maybe I change my mind down the road. I think mike from mass has it rt, I'm actually just going to look for a second car. That one ill chop and channel and run no fenders. Then I'll have the best of both worlds! This is definitely an addiction!

29. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I'm with the other guys that say drive it awhile before you decide. And are you tall? If you're tall you might want to think about it some more. Cool car either way.

30. classic gary

classic gary

this air cleaner would look killer!!

Attached Files: