Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brought home a Flathead Powered '53 F100 Yesterday....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by phartman, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Been looking at this one for a few weeks and decided to pull the trigger. The truck spent its life nearby Richmond, VA and was owned for just a year or two by a Harley enthusiast in Maryland. He decided to sell it at a very reasonable price. He didn't think he could do justice to the truck. We talked over the phone, I told him about traditional hot rods and the HAMB. He turned down another offer in front of mine because he wanted it to go to a good home that understood Pro Street is not the way to treat such a fine survivor.

Flathead, three speed with overdrive, very little rust, it runs, it drives, it stops. Untouched, unmolested, bone stock. One cab corner needs replacing. One little spot on each inner fender, and a small spot on both lower cowl ends. Could stand new running boards. Paint? Dunno, kind of like it the way it is. Looks like it started out Ford moss green, then the cab was painted yellow, then white, then back to green. We'll spot paint the rust areas in single stage moss green and leave the rest of it alone for a while.

We brought it home yesterday, and now the fun begins.

I'm thinking dual Strombergs, headers, Porter's, Mallory ignition, big and little steelies, and nice drop. We'll see. Can't wait to get started.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. M.Edell

M.Edell

Great trucks! Hope you leave the flathead in it..

3. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Awesome purchase....twiddle with it a little bit - dual exhaust for sure...update to 12V, but definitely a driver with panache and provenance

dj

4. Propwash, yes, the wiring is pretty scary. Definitely will get a rewire job and update to 12v. Any suggestions on which kit to use? Anybody?

5. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I've used painless in my last two rides - no complaints from me, but I understand that most of the popular kits have some fans and some detractors. Mostly depends on two things....reading the instructions, and having good enough eyesight to read those itty-bitty labels on the wires....

good luck - it's a beautiful truck and will be a great project

dj

6. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

Pete love the truck! You can use the wiring from a 54 or 55 they where 12v. We are the lucky ones with th last year 6v. I have headers into cherry bombs that stop under the bed so you know my sound if you are debating exhaust.

Let me know if you need any help or ideas since I have some experience with them.

7. Mathew21

Mathew21

Congrats, Looks like Great Start.

8. Fatbob309

Fatbob309

Nice truck! Just started working on my 54.

9. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

shweet old truck , id almost leave the natural wear and tear and drive it as is lol

10. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

How SWEET She is !!! Kuddo's to both owners old and NEW :D:cool:

11. Dave, that flathead seems to want to run pretty strong, so I think it will stay for a while. Why not? So once again, the Y-block build gets pushed to the back of the shop, but how could I really be disappointed? Never owned a flattie before, and I'm kind of excited about it.

12. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Deal with a fellow HAMBer,glenn33 He runs Rebel Wire, you will get the best deal on price and all 100% USA made,if you need any help they are always as near as your phone.:cool:

13. -JoeSmith-

-JoeSmith-

It looks like you have a great truck. Congratulations.

14. very cool !! check out the f-100 socil group if you havent already :)

15. Orange Crate

Orange Crate

You could ease on down to Pigeon Forge, TN on June 24 thru 26 to the Great Smoky Mountain F-100 show and get enough ideas to last for years.....:rolleyes:

16. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Actually, they didn't go to 12v until 56. A neat little trick for the gauges, is if you can find a 56 BUS in a junkyard, pull the gauge cluster, as it looks the same as a 53-55 cluster, but the gauges are 12v!
    Love the look of the truck. I'd just buff her out, put some good tires on it, and drive it.
    BTW a 57-59 f-100 front axle will give you an 1 1/2 drop for cheap!

17. deant

deant
    from upstate ny

Nice 53. I just got a 53 a few months ago. she is a flathead with 3 speed overdrive also. Mine is a car engine and trans I have to get mounted in right. Runs and drives good just not in there right. It is an older resto. I like the flathead Hope once the bugs are all worked out it stays in her for a long time. Good luck with the truck.
    Dean

18. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

Sorry I was slipping on that one it was 56. No more allergy medicine for me it makes me slow :eek:

19. Nice truck! I'm jealous of your overdrive. I used a Dennis Carpenter kit to re-wire my '48. I'm still currently on 6v, but I'm gonna use the Patrick's kit to convert my stock generator over to 12V to retain the stock look. Might be something you want to consider. It's a bit roundabout...but it'll get you there.

If you're gonna keep the flathead and want exhaust, I was pretty happy with Red's Headers dual exhaust kit with headers and glasspacks.

20. DaveInc

DaveInc

Pete, that is too cool for words. I'm majorly jealous! I would make it reliable and just drive it. Take your time on the mods and enjoy. Best, David

21. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Super nice old truck. I've got a '48 the same color and built flathead. I haven't tried to start the motor in mine and am hoping it will run. Its a 8ba flathead w/dual 94's and Edmonds heads. My first thought was to upgrade the drivetrain to a 454/T-400 but the more I think about it the flathead is calling me to leave it alone.

Frank

22. Well, well, well...the truck is sold. We got it back to Richmond, outrunning a wind and rainstorm and put it up in the shop. The owner of the shop came by over the weekend. Early Monday he called and asked, "What do you need for the truck?" My buddy, Doug Walker (JoeSmith on the HAMB) has taught me to be modest, give the man a good price. So keeping that in mind, I threw out a number and I immediately got an, "I'll take it." Gave me good check this past Friday.

So Larry Page of Page Customs is the new owner. He's going to make all the changes I suggested and use it as his shop truck/advertisement vehicle. He'll do it right, he has the $$$ and I'm thrilled because it is his first flathead project. He has the guys in the shop to do it in a HAMB-approved way. Stay tuned.

Looks like my Mustang is sold, too. Got a buyer coming in at the end of the week. Need another project. Back to the hunt. Hot dog, that's the best part.

23. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

great find...will make an awesome truck!:D

24. Porter Man

Porter Man
    Alliance Vendor
    from Mound, MN

Nice find! Love that truck. I've done a lot of F100's lately and they do sound super sweet! Red Header's is one of my dealers. Closest one to you is D & S Rod & Custom in PA, Sam Mike is a great guy to deal with there!

25. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

Sweet truck! I recently ran across a '53 F-100 too, but it's a 215 six. I don't need anymore projects but this thread is tempting me!

26. The brake shoes weren't even cold...

27. ibflyin

ibflyin
    from Tulsa, OK

Great find! I recently picked-up a '53...not in near the shape as yours, but was originally equipped with the flathead. It's pretty much just a shell now, but hope to start on it soon. I wish it was in as good a shape as yours. Good luck - enjoy!