Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brooklands: A Casualty of War

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 15, 2022.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Brooklands: A Casualty of War

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
  2. japchris

japchris
    from England

Its only down the road from me, so spend a fair bit of time there. (If I had known you were there, I'd of dropped by and said 'Hello'.
    A few years ago my mate got this fuzzy photo of me in my old 56 up on what's left of the banking.
    P1160993.JPG

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Great post and footage. I wonder if that sound of the cars that I assume is dubbed over is from that race or from another source entirely? Random thought.

that shot of your car is awesome chris! Quite a few hambers over for the event, you guys might have to fly the flag and have a meet and great

41 GMC K-18 and chryslerfan55 like this.

4. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Need to fix the title. I visited the museum in 2018 and was able to see some sections of the track (just across from Mercedes world). Also read the book on the complete construction, which was quite a feat in the day. Not only did it have super elevations, they had a parabolic shape to them much like test tracks which makes it easier to hold a line if you get in the right position.

Snicklefritz65, Tim and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  5. The TV series Downton Abbey substituted Goodwood for Brooklands in Season 6/Episode 7.
    I thought their technical advisor team really nailed the details.:cool:
    downton 02.jpg
    downton 01.jpg
    downton 04.jpg
    downton 03.jpg

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I thought so as well! Was fun car spotting

Just Gary likes this.
  7. chiro

chiro

That is one badass picture in your original post Jay.
    Andy

8. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

I blame Ryan for not spell-checking me. =-)
    And the fact that I'm a bit jet-lagged...

Just Gary, Tman and rod1 like this.
  9. Garpo

Garpo

I was there on rainy day some years back. Love the museums there. I was not brave enough to go more than about halfway across the track--- the combination of moss and rain on the surface made it very slippery, and as you get further out it gets a lot steeper. I chickened out.

Just Gary likes this.
  10. Crafty

Crafty
    from UK

Good video showing the whole site and how much track remains

In the video in the blog post it notes a hangar was on the start/finish straight which was placed there during the war, for aircraft production, the museum dismantled that hangar in 2016 and moved it next to the start/finish straight, you can see it in the video above at about 3:42 with the rear door open. If you look at the "andys videos" account that the drone footage is on he has a number of videos on that.

As mentioned, the aircraft factory got hit by enemy bombing, but a lot of dmage to the track itself was done to build the factory during war time, with roads being cut through etc. The museum is worth a visit if you happen to be over here.

To give you an idea just how steep it is, a minute or so on the members banking

Some more racing from 1928

Just Gary likes this.
  11. Jamster93

Jamster93

They held American Day the other week and held duce day for 32 fords as a 90th birthday celebration

12. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I'm jealous - I've been watching the live feed from the Goodwood Revival (excellent coverage for those who can't attend in person.)