Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bronco rear replacement axles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3EAGLES, Jun 25, 2016.

1. 3EAGLES

3EAGLES

This has probably been answered but I haven't found it. I have a Bronco 9" rear under my 28 Chrysler and want to change the bolt pattern from 5on5.5" to 5on4.5". I know they can have the access hole plugged and be re-drilled. Are there any axles with the smaller pattern available on any other vehicles? That would save me a little cash. Thanks, Chuck

2. Get rotten leonards jig to redrill the 4.5 pattern.

3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Can you redrill them? I thought the accsess hole is in the way. Thats what the op was asking(at least thats the way I took it)

4. Measure your axle length, both sides. I think early mustang axles may fit. You should be able to use 8 inch or 9 inch axles as they both use 28 spline ends and the early ones have the same bearings on them. I've swapped axles between 8 and 9 inches before with no problems. I think the bigger problem would be drums for the rear as the truck brakes are bigger than car brakes and drums don't interchange. You may want to get custom axles with the small bolt pattern. Then you can drill the drums yourself.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. I was just going through my photos and found this one to get an idea on redrilling and the space you have. I couldn't find one with the drum on but make sure there's enough room on the drum to redrill. 102_6151.jpg

7. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Aftermarket axles are pretty affordable these days - Moser, etc. If you buy a drill jig or take to a machine shop to plug and weld you are almost 1/2 way to a set of new axles.

falcongeorge likes this.
  8. Just buy new axles, Strange sells good ones. or any number of other axle manufacturers.

or you could get someone to drill the ones you got just be careful who does it and all will be good.

9. My new replacement Moser axles with bearings and studs were right around $500 shipped to my door.

10. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I think this is the way to go. Add up all the costs of the parts and labor and that's a deal!

11. Yea I can't probably swing a set today but the price is not bad in the whole scheme of things.

I have not heard good things about Superior axles, just for information.Moser, Strange, even Dutchman I have used with good success though.