Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Broken stud removal with a new twist! Plus engine stand mods! Machining time at Mart's.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mart, Jan 21, 2022.

1. Mart

Mart

Hello! Welcome to Mart's Garage. While building my last Flatty I realised my engine adaptor was bending. In Part 1, I set about strengthening it up using some handy material I had about the place. I had previously made some studs to use when bolting the block to the adaptor. I realised I could improve those so had a bit of quality time on the mill. While I was in the mood for some machining I made up some custom nuts to replace the nuts and multiple washers I had been using. All good simple stuff that makes the shop a better place to work in. Identifying weaknesses and making improvements is what we all like to do.
    In Part 2, I show a broken stud being removed by drilling and welding. It worked well and might just represent one more weapon in the arsenal when dealing with those stubborn studs.
    So sit back and watch me getting one job out of the way and trying to make my shop equipment a little bit better one piece at a time.
    Mart.

2. 5window

5window

Thanks

Deuces likes this.
  3. SPEC

SPEC

Excellent video.

Deuces likes this.
  4. lowrd

lowrd

Put that piece on the wall of success! Nice job.

Deuces likes this.

5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Outstanding video! I like the fact that Mart showed the previous failed attempts! I for one had to laugh! Because it has happened to me many times! The euphoria of thinking the stud is moving! The the agony of defeat when the nut, washer or what ever falls onto the floor! Lol! Also liked Mart grabbing junk stuff to get the job done!
    Working with fire pumps and water for thirty three years, I did my share of broken stud removal! I guess I’m a little “Off” because I kinda enjoyed that job! It was kinda “ me against the stud” thing! I always won! Because I remembered what an older mechanic told me when I first started out, many years ago….” Something will get it, you just have to find it! ”. That simple statement has been with me for years!

Bones

Deuces likes this.
  6. Good one Mart,,,,really good job !

Tommy

Deuces likes this.
  7. Mart

Mart

Thanks for all the feedback fellas.
    here's a bumpitty bump for Saturday.

8. Moedog07

Moedog07

Thanks for the bump. I'd have zoomed by this thread.

9. Mart

Mart

Hey, you're welcome.
    Would you believe me if I said I have been to Narvik? Drove there from Kiruna.
    Sunday Bump.
    Mart.

Moedog07 likes this.
  10. Moedog07

Moedog07

As the crow flys = 30 minutes
    driving several hours . (The crow may have had a jetpack too)