Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Broken Lokar Throttle Cable End

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deyomatic, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

Well, I got everything all back together tonight after changing some intake manifold gaskets. I really wanted to try to fire it up tonight but this damn thing broke. Do I need to pony up the cash for one from Lokar, or is this something I can snag at a hardware store? Seems like the threaded piece with the ball might be one of those hardware store items.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Yep, ace hardware has them

3. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

Great, thanks. Should be cheaper than $25 that Lokar wants.

4. roundvalley

roundvalley

5. paleot

paleot
    from louisiana

ball on that one is replaceable, oreilly has an assortment usually in stock.

6. I've also learned to carry a spare in your tool box on road trips............heading for Paso in '06 and did last 65 mi using good ole bailing wire thru firewall as a hand throttle, worked great..........

7. how far are you from new milford? i might have one if you can't find it.

8. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

TB, thanks. I am in Wethersfield so it would be a hike. I appreciate it, though. I have an Ace in my travels today, and if that doesn't pan out, I will be in Manchester so I can swing by the spped shop and/or Mustangs Unltd.

9. aaggie

aaggie

Speedway and Smiley's sells an assortment of carb pivots and ball studs. I keep a box in the shop because you never know what combination of parts you need when doing repairs. Don't overtighten the nut, the studs are uaually made of the finest soft Chinese steel.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  10. any parts stores have them in a assortment pack, if you have any old carbs laying around look at those you might have one bolted on the linkage waiting to be plucked..

11. I've seen those on mobile equipment and snowblowers etc. Try equipment rental places or small engine repair shops as well.

12. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

Thanks for all the advice. I tried the so called speed shop today and, while friendly, the guy there was not very helpful as far as getting this back on the road ASAP. I went to a hardware store, which had some of these assemblies but not the same size/thread pitch, and a small engine shop who discovered that more than just the stud was broken, but was also not helpful in finding the part.

After running around all day, I hit up the O' Reilly's down the street and they had a Mr. Gasket Throttle Cable kit with something that looks like it will work for what I need right now, so I figured for $8 more than the Lokar Part, I got the complete Mr. Gasket kit and might be able to use spare parts if I need later on down the road. Even tried the HELP! section but nothing was there.

Thanks to all.

13. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

I have Broken 3, of Lokar,
    They Broke when they snap on , So now I slide the clip Down ,install on ball then slide clip back Up , They will not Admit there is a design flaw , They sent me there So called Heavy duty one , BUT the bolt / screw is a lot smaller , where the cable Attach to hiem ,
    For Heavy Duty "" stick with Enderle & Hillborn

14. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

I have failed ti mention that when it broke I was shocked at first because it was still loose- it did NOT feel snug in any way and it requies using the two shortest wrenches in any set.

15. mike bowling

mike bowling

Not the best parts- I got a Lokar "Nostalgia" shifter for a C-4 tranny some years ago, and the mounting holes didn't line up. (???) Then we had a hell-uv-a time with the neutral safety switch.
    Sometimes "you get what you pay for" doesn't mean much!

16. 440 deluxe

440 deluxe

Lokar gave me a new one free. Said it was guaranteed for life

17. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Lokar did send for FREE , But after the first One , I had to beat them Down So they would Warranty, I feel there Quality control & Materials used have gone down hill,

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  18. blackanblue

blackanblue

Finest soft Chinese steel lol sounds like my wife shopping for sheets..

19. I guess it's limited lifetime. Asked for a replacement kickdown inner cable for mine, while at Nats South, as it was fraying at the ball end(not the cut end where you'd expect) and charged me $10.