Register now to get rid of these ads!

Broken I-beam axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodkiwi, May 8, 2012.

1. 2Loose

2Loose

I put a '48 Ford F1 axle under my '55 gasser, got it from Sid's, it's a tough looking piece and I don't think I will ever have to worry about it failing. I've never considered using anything but an original Ford forged axle.
    -2Loose Willy
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  2. The new MAGNUM cast axle on HAMBer Keith (kb1939) Bush's Deuce Tudor experienced a similar failure ... but at Highway speed! :eek::

Keith Bush Deuce Tudor wreck 01.jpg Keith Bush Deuce Tudor wreck 02.jpg Keith Bush Deuce Tudor wreck 03.jpg
    Keith Bush Deuce Tudor wreck 04.jpg Keith Bush Deuce Tudor wreck 05.jpg Keith Bush Deuce Tudor wreck 06.JPG
    Keith Bush Deuce Tudor wreck 07.JPG Keith Bush Deuce Tudor wreck 08.JPG Keith Bush Deuce Tudor wreck 09.JPG
    Keith Bush Deuce Tudor wreck 10.JPG Keith Bush Deuce Tudor wreck 11.JPG Keith Bush Deuce Tudor wreck 12.JPG
    click thumbnails to enlarge

For the complete story, checkout the July 2010 Wreck on I-5 near Woodland, WA. thread ... and yes, the story does have a happy ending ...

3. Holy fuck, thats some serious shit. Id be out for blood if my pride an joy got totalled like that due to substandard aftermarket parts. Just re affirms my choice to not run with the magnum ive got, I'll definatly be going for the forged number and I guess ive now got an expensive paperweight in the shape of an axle!!!

4. this picture is all the proof i need to make me run a ford axle

[​IMG]

5. striper

striper

The other scary thing there is that the spring broke too!

6. Fenders

Fenders

All it takes is one. Hope it's not one of yours.

Sounds like the "market" is willing to take the risk.... good luck to them.

If there's an "incident," it's a little late....
    Use a Ford axle or buy a new forged axle.

7. I am amazed at all the comments about Cast beams not being appropriate for this application. You do realize that Ford built a couple zillion trucks with CAST I Beams don't you?
    The early Twin I Beam F series trucks and Rangers were forged but in 88 for Rangers and I think 86 for F Series they went to CAST beams. Also the E Series Vans had Cast Twin I Beams.
    I believe they have used cast straight axles under some of the larger trucks as well.
    The point being, done correctly, there is NOTHING WRONG with a cast beam axle from an engineering standpoint.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  8. I'm with you Don, reason does not apply here :)

Atwater Mike likes this.
  9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Nothing just "snaps". There has got to be other variables involved. Without knowing those, any and everything is a guess, at best. That's why I don't get all the comments. You just don't creep into a driveway and your axle snaps. There's got to be more to it. IE; installation.

10. OEMs have the engineering know how,
    and quality assurance, to do things right.

They are also on the hook for warranty work, and subject to federal recall.

Street rod aftermarket, not so much.
    Some people really know their stuff, others buy big ads.

11. How would you install an axle, causing it to snap ?

Atwater Mike likes this.
  12. There seems to be a comon denominator in all of these broken axle storys on this thread and that is the brand, now im not into bagging manufactures, I have a magnum axle, but that now won't be being used, but have used alot of there product before and it is of very good quality, but back in post #177 it was stated that there was a bad batch of axles made, now how many potential time bombs have we got driving around on our roads, and more to the point how do we identify the bad ones as they have no markings on them?. Certainly would make me feel a little uneasy driving on one thats for sure

13. jimbob

jimbob

Given that it's obvious the axle failure caused the accident, did Magnum foot the rebuild cost??

14. Truckedup

Truckedup

I never would have thought that. I've worked on a lot of large trucks and many older GM pu trucks and never seen a cast axle in any of them.I assume all makes of old car cars have factory forged front axles?
    Spring hangers on larger trucks of often a malleable cast steel that's stronger than cast iron . Are the Ford truck cast axles this material?

15. bobscogin

bobscogin

I agree. The problem here seems to be from a manufacturing error / quality control issue wherein the wrong alloy was used by the foundry and/or faulty heat treating.

Bob

16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

doesn't make me wonder at all.

17. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

#1 reason not to buy a cast axle......

18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

They sent the car out to a frame & wheel shop: I straightened many at Reinegger's frame & wheel in San Jose, when I was young...that was in the 'dark ages'!

Axles were usually straightened on the vehicle, with different types of bracketry, hooks, chains, and bottle jacks.
    If one was bent severely, I would sometimes get 'dared' to straighten it; once in a while, one would get removed and straightened on our 20 ton press. (we had fixtures that only a few old salts knew what they were for...)

The old man hated to buy parts, as he had used all the special equipment for years, (and built most of it!)
    I used to bend a big rig front axle to desired camber in 1 pull, no matter where it was each side. (it wasn't too bad, just a geometry trick. And a 10 ton bottle jack)
    When I'd do one, the old man would hand me a $5 tip...

Reinegger's is still in business, but I thing I was the last guy there that would straighten a steel wheel...They specialize in electronic 4-wheel alignment now...All that old stuff is locked up next door. Pity. I could do anything with that equipment.

19. hotrodkiwi

hotrodkiwi

20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

In light of all the broken axle incidents, regardless of why they broke I removed the new Magnum axle from my 26 RPU project before the car is even finished and replaced it with a So- Cal Forged axle.

I had drilled the magnum axle and I have also drilled the forged axle.

Just from drilling them I can tell you there is a world of difference in the material. There are pictures of both on my build thread.

As well the So Cal axle is a lot beefier and will definitely not be a problem in service.

As someone involved in Welding ,metallurgy and inspection, the forged axle gives me peace of mind based on knowledge of metals and that is enough for me.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  21. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

So Cal just copied Chassis Engineering's forged axle that had been around for a few years.

[​IMG] if you can't afford a real FORD axle, go with CHASSIS ENGINEERING

22. hotrodkiwi

hotrodkiwi

Here's an update for you all.

We have had a metallurgical inspection done on the broken axle shown at the start of this thread, to try to find out why it failed.

The results show that the axle does not exhibit good quality SG Iron (it does not meet the spec AS 1831 ….any grade).

The metallurgist has found that the axle very likely failed as a result of poor mechanical properties, and states that the sample is inferior to a quality grade grey iron.

I'll post this basic 2 page report here, see below (PDF).

Note that there are two pictures include (page 2) showing good micro structure examples of grey iron and SG iron ….for your info.

There will be more to follow....

Justin

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  23. Hotrodkiwi
    Were you running split wishbones or hairpins? I have heard that they will twist a cast axle real bad. Original forged axels were designed to twist where as newer cast units will not.
    I was with 26roadster the night he bent the axel in his 30. Street racing was fun back then!!!

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

:eek: Well, I guess that clears that up. YIKES!!

25. hotrodkiwi

hotrodkiwi

Stock unsplit wishbone, so little or no twist.

The thing is, propper SG or malleable cast iron is fine in this application - the problem is that the casting process at some point has failed, meaning that the axle IS NOT malleable SG iron. This means the axle will be prone to snapping, as is being seen here.

There is always the chance of problems such as this in the casting process - this would be normally identified at the end of a pour at the foundry but It seems a lack of quality control has meant that these low grade grey iron axles have been able to hit the shelves and be fitted to vehicles.

Magnum are aware of this problem - if you have a magnum axle contact magnum to arrange for a replacement axle which will have been tested as being SG grade iron and stamped with a QC stamp.

Justin

26. bobscogin

bobscogin

Why would original axles have been designed to twist? The geometry of the single articulation point at the rear of the wishbone that precludes twisting would have made that unnecessary.

Bob

27. Aftermarket parts should be engineered for the application.
    The majority of dropped axles will be run with split bones,
    hairpins, or 4-bar. The correct material will handle these stresses.

28. hotrodkiwi

hotrodkiwi

I think the design is there, and if done correctly there's absolutely nothing wrong with a cast axle; the problem seems to be that the foundrys are not controling or checking the quality of the product being cast.

When you think about the technology, SG cast iron is only a relatively recent advancement - SG iron was only invented in 1943. Nowdays, a lot of car and truck manufacturers use SG as an alternative to much more expensive forgings - Ford included. But obviously they take a little more care with their quality control!

SG iron is less complicated that you think, but it relies on a precise process in order to get it right - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ductile_iron

29. I guess all this means theres going to be a serious downturn in the sale of cast axles versus forged. I may just be ringing to see if I can get a replacement for the Magnum I bought here locally a few months back.