Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Broke my windshield yesterday

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boryca, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Driving home from work, I caught a rock from one of those new-fangled muscle cars. Didn't crack the inside, but that outer laminate is done. I'll tell you what, it'll wake you up! IMG_20190904_153737.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. 1ton

1ton

I've seen cracks like that fixed with good results. It was on an older car and the windshield was not available. The guy put a suction cup over it, put it under vacuum and squirted in a clear liquid.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Had my late model repaired that way. Years later you still can't find the repair. I'm not sure they recommend doing that repair when the spot is in your normal line of vision.
    Check with your insurance office whether repair/replacement is covered by comprehensive coverage.

Phil

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

Back in the early 90's when I was reinstalling my original w/s in the 58 Chevy wagon, I had a friend helping me. She was inside pulling on the rope, and I was outside gently pushing, when I heard a crack...right down the middle of the w/s. My fault, pushing too hard. Another friend of mine had married into a family that had owned the local Chevy dealer for years, and had a "take-out" w/s from a 58 Chevy. He didn't know why it was a take-out, though.

It didn't fit, I think it was bowed. Found a place near Chicago that sold new windshields for old cars, made in Africa. The guy asked me if I wanted tinted or clear; I took clear. It's still in the car today and looks great. That business is either out of business or moved.

Good luck with yours.

5. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Small chips can be repaired with that resin very effectively. I don't think that one qualifies, but I dunno for sure.

6. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

I'm not too worried about it, I just put this one in last year so I know I can get another, just one more thing to do.

I've had lots of cracked/chipped windshields, and that suction and resin trick is great! Don't think it's going to work here though as that damage is bigger than a quarter. I stopped by a glass shop yesterday for kicks and they were more than helpful - we'll see if they can track down a windshield on their own so I don't have to mess with it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. That why I feel every vehicle and trailer on the public roads should be required to have proper fenders and mud flaps to help prevent flying debris.

Hnstray likes this.
  8. Ouch...that sucks, I guess it's better than a nasty paint chip and dent...but only barely.

Boryca likes this.
  9. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Agreed. Can't say it was necessarily his fault though, 'round here in Detroit they don't exactly know how to take care of the roads... We have below-grade highways, and on a windy day there's more debris flying around than in a Kansas twister.

10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They say if you can put a 100 dollar bill over the area then it can be fixed with epoxy...keep the hundred out.

11. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Is that what it is? I had one repaired years ago and it's impossible to find practically, it's a neat invention. They came out and did the work in my garage.

They did give me a business card with some peel off vinyl stickers. The idea is, to apply one to any future chips as soon as it happens and keep moisture out of the defect. Something for fellas to keep in mind if it happens, put a piece of tape over it, something like that, if it can't be repaired right away.

12. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

My wife just leased a 2019 Honda Pilot. Dealership advised us to add a rider onto our insurance policy for the windshield because its $1,200 to replace. Supposedly theres alot of buried sensors up in the glass.

Hnstray likes this.
  13. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Out west, you know the large square states, they usually require mudflaps even on pickup trucks

Old wolf likes this.
  14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Careful! California might just re-instate active enforcement on fenderless roadsters/coupes!

15. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

No story here other than to say I've had Safelite do three windshield repairs and each
    one worked out well and relatively inexpensive. The techs know what they're doing
    and it is a fairly quick operation. Also, the repaired areas never spread.

16. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

I never thought about moisture making for a worse repair... good to know!

17. And not all dealers have the equipment to se-set the targets. Pretty technical when it comes to the crash proximity systems.

18. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Yeah he said after moisture gets in it won't work or gets cloudy or something. I think sometimes the insurance co. will sometimes waive the deductible on this repair too, because it's a whole lot less money than a replacement.

In some states you'll hear people bragging that windshield replacement is "free". Well, there ain't nothin' free, they're paying for it in their insurance premiums, it's kinda like Italian spices in lasagna, they're in there somewhere. But it's worth checking that out too, you already paid for it might as well take advantage of that if available.

Boryca likes this.
  19. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Been there...What I see are the trucks/rigs that are not properly covered or not covered at all that throw crap and rocks from them a lot more than cars do.

Can't blame fenderless cars for most of this.

In my case, it has always been that truck that ruined my windshield.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    Hnstray, loudbang and Truck64 like this.
  20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just had two chips fixed on the ot daily They found the second one while fixing the first one. They gave me a sheet of those stickers to put over new chips. I'm not sure I can find where either is.
    I had less then 40 miles on the rebuild of the 48 in 1982 and we were headed to Ogden for the Chevy GMC truckin Nationals and hit some fresh chip seal about 10 miles from the house. We were first rig behind the follow me truck so I could set back a bit and then some ass hole in a jacked up van with tires sticking 4 inches blew past me and the follow me truck throwing fresh gravel everywhere. I got three dings in the freshly chromed grill a couple in the paint and one in the windshield.

21. Boden

Boden

Accept hot rods

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

22. Check with your insurance agent, you probably have coverage for glass.

I had a tree limb hit my late model pickup and busted the rear glass, I took it to the local glass guy and thought I was going to have to pay for the damage, he checked with my agent and they covered it, the glass shop pointed out small crack in the windshield on the passenger side in the top corner, the company replaced both with no cost to me. HRP

23. That's a reason why everything driven on the public roads should have proper fenders and mudflaps.

24. Insurance companies now balk at changing what used to be a $300 windshield and is now $1000 or more. The chip fix is pretty good and fast. Now some insurance companies want to see a picture of the windshield before they will authorize it.

25. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

That's why they'll often waive the deductible and pay for the resin fix.