Register now to get rid of these ads!

Broke down '65 in Austin - HELP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spyder, Mar 30, 2007.

1. I'm at Wyndham Garden on I-35 and Woodward. I took a valve cover off and a roller rocker fell out on the street :eek: . The retainer nut is spit in two and the allen set screw is MIA. :eek:. The threads on the screw-in rocker stud are damaged, but may be useable.

I don't know if this THE problem, or a symptom.

Anyone out there that can help out with required parts? I'm not wanting to limp the car any further if I can avoid it. I am also thin on tools - I forgot my sockets.:mad:

I can pay for parts, and your time.

Cylinder #1,farthest forward valve - is that intake or exaust?

The motor is a 289. The rocker stud is the larger of the 2 available sizes. I don't know what brand the AL roller rockers are. I have no idea where to get such parts in Austin. I am planning to limp back to Houston on Sunday.

Thanks much-
    Brent (713) 927-1194, in sorry lookin white '65 Mustang - (I know, I know, OT car)

2. guiseart

guiseart

3. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

4. If I have to limp it home without new parts, is it ok to just remove the other rocker arm for that cylinder, and maybe the pushrods too?

The motor is also puffing smoke, I am really hoping this is due to unburned fuel from running bad.

5. lux from crushproof posted this earlier.

if you break down on the way here....or while here...

give crushproof a call. 512 386 9889.

we typically don't charge if you can get her fixed, can hook you up with some good parts prices, and if you need a place for it to "sleep" while you figure it out, we gotcha covered. all I ask is don't drink the last beer, and wipe my tools off before you put 'em back. (unless, of course, they were greasy when you picked 'em up...which is a distinct possibility.)

Here's to NOT hearing from anyone under these circumstances!

Cheers!
    Lux

6. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

7. LordMaximo

LordMaximo
    from Roy, UT

There are some guys on the "olskoolrodz" forum that live there in the austin area. I will give them a holler real quick.

Maximo

8. I am here at the woodward as well, I have sockets etc, but Mainly tools for electrical stuff this time around. I am in room 306 or call my cell 361 249-6633. If you need a lift somewhere I woul dbe more than happy to help out. Try out my cell phone as I am going down to the bar for a well needed drink.

Will

9. LordMaximo

LordMaximo
    from Roy, UT

Cool, I just put the word out on five other forums for emergancy road service help for all persons in the Austine area. Hopefully you should be getting some calls soon.

Maximo

10. Frank

Frank

Small world. I'm stranded at the same motel with trouble myself. I've got some tools if you need a hand. 214-770-7906.

11. #1 furthest foward is intake (pass side) good luck!

12. Thanks for the advice and information.

13. LordMaximo

LordMaximo
    from Roy, UT

So whats the verdict on this situation?
    Did you get some help or are you still in the hole?

Maximo

14. Safe back home. I got a bit winey for a minute there, then I got back to enjoying Round up. Thanks for the advice and the folks checking with me. Nice thing about a V8: limps good as a V7.

15. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

After I talked to you last night, then saw you again this morning on 71, and with us behind you I was sure if you broke down we'd be able to help ya on the way back.
    Then got on the Beltway hit the fast lane (EZtag) going about 70, and blew right by you on the far right shoulder. Sorry, saw you way to late to get over, couldn't stop would have caused a major accident. I figured you were close enought o home. Glad you made it.

16. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

The HAMB rules for this reason, you break down at a show hop on a cumpooper and have 8 guys with answers, tools, and a lending hand at your hotel room. Can't do any better than that.