Register now to get rid of these ads!

British Sream car gets Stanley record

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RichFox, Aug 25, 2009.

1. so does any one have a pic of the stanley was it a stock brick or modded

2. Look at post #35.....

3. thanks rich i'm a lil off tonight

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  4. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Thanks, MTRHD. I think both the Stanley & Doble could outdo this modern record, if they had a two-mile run to get up to speed before even hitting the starting line. Like GotGas, I'm not very impressed. I want to go back & check Doble stuff & see what I ocme up with.

7. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Sort of an apples-oranges comparison, isn't it?

8. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

OK, guys, not to dis the Brtish group, but I just don't think you can compare two cars, over a hunderd years apart! Stanley did what THEY did on old-tech, "live-bubber" tires. For God's sake: LOOK at the Stanley car and the British car! FAIR competition? I don't think so!!!

I haven't looked up Stanley records myself (since other HAMBers apparently alreayd did that). BUT, I have osme fact on Doble Model E.

The Model E was the best & longest-running Doble of the Doble cars, going through mots of the 1920s. By the time they were replaced by the final Doble Model F, the "E" warmed up to running temp. in 30 seconds (even Stanly couldn't match that). It could run up to 1,500 miles on its 24 gallons of water. The boiler was safe past 7,000-psi. It could run dead-stop to 75-mph in just 10 seconds. And, a Doble more than 2 decades old was tested in the early '50s. It did a flying mile at 120-mph.

So, c'mon. An antique can post those numbers, and we're supposed to hand over the crown for steam speed to an ultra-modern car, constructed with wind-tunnel streamlining? Like GotGas, I am not impressed. I DON'T BUY ANY OF THIS HOOP-LAH.

If they want to set a record, just do it. Don't make yourself look silly by bragging about beating a record set by an antique in 1904. Break me a gimme here.

9. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Fossile fuels. Until they ocme up with water that heats itself. The point is those early steamers didn't use much fuel to do that part of the process. I don't know what the British car uses, and I'm NOT knocking their efforts, hard work or achievement.

I simply maintain that it's not an apples-to-apples comparison.

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I'm told it burns Propane

11. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Thanks, Rich. Obviously you can see I'm not running down ANY modern efforts (heck, I believe this technology can REALLY benefit us in modern day). I'm GLAD the British picked up the torch, so to speak, based in part on the many steam automobiles that came back at the virtual DAWN of automobiling!

I think it's great the new guys went FAST. I think the real story isn't really ABOUT topping a 100-year-old record. I think the STORY is what this achievement protends for a world that will eventually run out of many sources of energy.

Peace, bro.

12. henryj429

henryj429

Here's some news: GO USA!

U.S. Land Steam Record Team Selects External Combustion Engine Developer Cyclone Power

Cyclone Power Technologies Inc. has been selected by the U.S. Land Steam Record Team to provide the high performance racing engine for its streamliner vehicle, which will attempt to break the world land speed record for steam vehicles in Bonneville, UT, as early as next August.
    The U.S. Land Steam Record (USLSR) vehicle will be designed, constructed and driven by steam car veteran and team leader Chuk Williams. Cyclone will provide a modified Mark V external combustion automotive engine. At 180HP with 860 ft/lbs of starting torque, the Cyclone engine will attempt to propel the 21′, 1600lbs USLSR vehicle at speeds over 200mph on the seven-mile track at the famous Bonneville salt flats.

Cyclone CEO and engine inventor, Harry Schoell said;
    “This is a great test of the power and performance of our all-fuel capable, earth friendly Mark V automotive engine. Given our current calculations, we expect to beat the standing land speed record by a comfortable margin with an engine that can ultimately be placed into everyday passenger vehicles.”
    The current land speed record for steam vehicles, which is still subject to official confirmation by the Federation Internationale d’Automobile, is held by Team Inspiration of Great Britain. The British vehicle recorded speeds over 148mph in August 2009, which broke the previous unofficial record of 145mph set in 1985 by Bob Barber, and the official FIA record of 127mph set in 1906 by Fred Marriott, an American driving a Stanley Steamer at Daytona Beach.
    ”The Cyclone engine boasts enormous power in a small, light package,” stated team leader Chuk Williams. “We are pleased to be working with Harry and his Cyclone development team on this attempt to bring the steam land speed record back to the United States.”
    <TABLE style="WIDTH: 832px; HEIGHT: 323px" border=0 sizset="4" sizcache="0"><TBODY sizset="4" sizcache="0"><TR class=alt jQuery1260393888170="2"><TD>The project is being endorsed by the Steam Automobile Club of America, the pre-eminent association of steam vehicle developers, racers and enthusiasts. Other individuals associated with the team include former engineers at NASA, Lockheed Martin and MIT.Sponsorship opportunities are available for corporations and individuals who want to participate in this attempt at automotive racing history. Potential corporate sponsors may include providers of U.S. grown biofuels to power the USLSR vehicle – the Cyclone Engine is capable of running on virtually any fuel, and the team has yet to choose a fuel for the record attempt. Visit the USLSR site for more information.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

13. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

Did any of the articles talk about how much was spent to build the car to beat the record? I bet if he was so motivated, Jay Leno and the boys at Big Dog Garage would be able to put together a steam car to get the record back, probably using some slightly updated Stanley or Doble technology, for a lot less than the multi-million dollars that was spent to get the new record.

Seems like they bought the record rather than worked for it like a rodder would.