Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Bringing the Dick Williams '27 Roadster Back to 1953

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HEMI32, Dec 20, 2020.

1. jakespeed55

jakespeed55
    from california

The outside ones used clevis and heim joint and mounted wider probably handled better? The inside ones were all tie rod ends probably didn't handle very well but in my opinion it looks a lot better As of last friday its back to the original style

2. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Have all the GNRS winners survived or are we missing a few? Did they ever have them all back on display? Bob

4. I understand why Falk rebuilt the car with the outside hairpins, the restored roadster won't be driven anywhere near as much as when Falk owned it. Plus this restoration is about returning the roadster to the Williams version & how it was originally built, which happened to be good enough to take the AMBR in 1953.

Only one that is missing is the Frank Rose roadster. There has been comments it exists but hasn't been out in decades.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks, Just misplaced, it was in the Harrah collection auction in 1986. Bob

6. missysdad1

missysdad1

I'm trying to understand why the hairpins were moved from their original location to outside the frame. I completely agree that the car should be returned to it's original configuration, I'm just trying to understand why it was changed by Falk?

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  7. Sorry I misinterpreted your last post :eek:. As jakespeed55 said above they were likely moved for better handling, there could also have been clearance issues in the original location.

8. jebbesen

jebbesen
    from Winona, MN

I think Brizio's shop is doing a great job on these last couple builds with this one and Norm's. It is so hard to restore and not correct things that might not be quite up to today's standards. This car is way more intact that the Kookie T and IMO seems built to a much higher standard chassis wise. I'm really looking forward to seeing it come together and appreciate them sharing pictures of the progress. Does anyone know if there are plans to take the distributor back to Dicks original design? It looks like with the crab cap maybe it got swapped out?

9. Subscribed!

loudbang likes this.
  10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

great post Todd... I missed it the first time. always hated the fat tires on that car! same with the Emperor. maybe this one will be next.

Capture.JPG

11. I actually like all the versions of this car. But, the first light blue version was inspiration for painting my old T in a similar hue. Infantry Blue

12. goldmountain

goldmountain

Are there any color photos of the car in its original form? I have only seen the black and white ones from Hot Rod and Hop Up.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  13. Parnell

Parnell

I knew Blackie well. I lived about ten minutes away from Blackie's house in Easton for many years. One time, after being over at his house perhaps two dozen times, I asked him, when is the last time you started either the Emperor or your black roadster? Do these even run anymore or are they mothballed? Blackie grinned, hobbled over to the Emperor, and said "Watch this, Hoss!"

He turned that key, and I don't think that flattie even turned a full revolution before rumbling to life.

Another time I was over there and Blackie and I stepped outside because a friend of his drove over an early Ford pickup with multiple carbs, and asked Blackie to help him adjust them because it the truck would barely idle. Blackie had that engine tuned by ear to a sweet purr in about 15 minutes. But what was really outstanding was the language he used while doing so:)

If you knew Blackie for any length of time, then you will probably never forget the sound of his voice when he got really wound up. I miss that man.

14. jakespeed55

jakespeed55
    from california

Yes I have the 2 coils but we are looking for a kong distributor if anyone knows or has one for sale thanks

Stogy, jebbesen, Atwater Mike and 3 others like this.
  15. Love this roadster, check out all that "Caster" on the front axle, looks like 10 Deg. Bet it tracks good with no wheel wobble or jump. Built right old timer.

Just Gary, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  16. A bit of progress at the Brizio shop ...

Jack got the outboard rear hairpins removed ... and the inboard hairpins and bracing installed:

2021 02 11 - Dick Williams '27 Roadster @ Roy Brizio Street Rods.jpg
    February 11th image by Jack @jakespeed55 Stratton

Next task is to deal with the dual fuel tanks:

HOP UP June '53 fuel tanks & battery.jpg
    image from page 36 of the June '53 HOP UP "Show Winner" article

... and note that they are still looking for the KONG Jackson Dual Ignition Distributor:

HOT ROD May '53 - Kong Jackson Distributor.jpg
    image from page 44 of the May '53 HOT ROD "Oakland Prize Winner" article

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  17. I somehow forgot to post this photo of my (late) friend DJ Pimentel posing with the '53 AMBR:

Dan Pimentel with Dick Williams '27 Roadster at the National (Oakland) Roadster Show.jpg

grumpy32, bchctybob, Stogy and 9 others like this.
  18. Roy Brizio Street Rods metalman, Andrik Albor has made lots of progress on the body:

2021 02 27 - Dick Williams '27 Roadster @ Concourse Metal Shaping (1).PNG

Dick Williams '27 Roadster - RBSR website image (17).jpg
    2021 02 27 - Dick Williams '27 Roadster @ Concourse Metal Shaping (2).PNG

2021 02 27 - Dick Williams '27 Roadster @ Concourse Metal Shaping (3).PNG
    2021 02 27 - Dick Williams '27 Roadster @ Concourse Metal Shaping (4).PNG
    2021 02 27 - Dick Williams '27 Roadster @ Concourse Metal Shaping (5).PNG
    2021 02 27 - Dick Williams '27 Roadster @ Concourse Metal Shaping (6).PNG

Dick Williams '27 Roadster - RBSR website image (16).jpg
    2021 02 27 - Dick Williams '27 Roadster @ Concourse Metal Shaping (7).PNG
    Dick Williams '27 Roadster - RBSR website image (26).jpg
    2021 02 27 - Dick Williams '27 Roadster @ Concourse Metal Shaping (9).PNG
    Dick Williams '27 Roadster - RBSR website image (27).jpg
    2021 02 27 - Dick Williams '27 Roadster @ Concourse Metal Shaping (8).PNG
    Dick Williams '27 Roadster - RBSR website image (28).jpg
    2021 02 27 - Dick Williams '27 Roadster @ Concourse Metal Shaping (10).PNG
    all images from concourse_metal_shaping's February 27th Instagram feed
    and / or the Roy Brizio Street Rods website​

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  19. It is amazing what these old hot rods reveal when the paint is stripped back. In cases where the bare metal body reveals so many sins & body damage the only option is to cut it out and replace. I don't recall, did Dick Williams start with an old track roadster body? That damage would suggest so @HEMI32

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    Tman, loudbang, HEMI32 and 2 others like this.
  20. jebbesen

jebbesen
    from Winona, MN

21. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Kong Jackson made more than one version of his Kong dual point ignitions. From the Oakland Roadster Show photo it's hard to tell what particular Kong distributor was used on this car. There are at least three different versions that I know were made by Kong. The first ones he made were the Championship model, Lincoln cap, red painted name plate with raised aluminum lettering, and a knurled base plate on the outside edge. These ones are quite rare.

Next came the same Championship model, no knurling on the base plate, the same red painted name plate with raised aluminum letters and Lincoln caps. At some point here Kong ran out of Lincoln caps and switched to Packard distributor caps, as the Lincoln ones were getting very hard to get, even back then. The distributors were changed to accept the Packard caps. Lastly the ignition remained the same except the name plate was now a brass plate.

I don't know how period correct this car is going to be, and I was just merely pointing out the differences in Kong ignitions as they progressed through time. Maybe just finding a really good Kong ignition would be good enough for this car to keep it all period correct. Finding one is going to be a task in itself. These ignitions are treasured items and anyone that has one really doesn't want to give it up. The Lincoln and Packard caps are next to impossible to find in any kind of useable condition. I wish everyone involved the best of luck with the rebuild.

AndersF, loudbang, HEMI32 and 3 others like this.
  22. Roothawg

Roothawg

I didn't realize that it had a tube chassis.

loudbang likes this.
  23. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Great story! It would be neat to get a bunch of old AMBR cars together. (or even tributes)

loudbang likes this.
  24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Wonder if they ever did collect them all at one time? This year they plan to have all 70 of the past Best in Show Pebble Beach winners on display.

Bob

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  25. G'day Bob, There was a large gathering of past AMBR winners in 1999 for the 50th GNRS. There were only a few absent. There was another gathering at the 60th. I really hope they gather all winners for 75th anniversary show.

26. jakespeed55

jakespeed55
    from california

Thank you for all the info its a big help

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  27. jakespeed55

jakespeed55
    from california

Last time I heard they are supposed to get all the winners together at the GNRS 2024

Stogy, Tman, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  28. Jack @jakespeed55 Stratton & Dan Carroll have been busy at the Brizio shop ...

2021 03 12 - Dick Williams '27 Roadster @ Roy Brizio Street Rods (1).jpg
    2021 03 12 - Dick Williams '27 Roadster @ Roy Brizio Street Rods (2).jpg
    2021 03 12 - Dick Williams '27 Roadster @ Roy Brizio Street Rods (3).jpg
    images from jakespeed60's March 12th Instagram feed

Dick Williams '27 Roadster - RBSR website image (18).jpg
    Dick Williams '27 Roadster - RBSR website image (19).jpg
    Dick Williams '27 Roadster - RBSR website image (20).jpg
    Dick Williams '27 Roadster - RBSR website image (21).jpg
    images from the Roy Brizio Street Rods website ​

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    Squablow, Stogy, Just Gary and 8 others like this.
  29. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh My! Thats Cool..

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  30. brading

brading

Nice to see such an iconic car being restored to its former glory.

Stogy and loudbang like this.