Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Bringing my 39 back to life

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nailhead Jason, May 8, 2016.

1. Picked up a few new Air Cleaners from my buddy Chris at Grace and Company. these are so bitchen.

20180611_194206.jpg

jimgoetz, Zax, Blue One and 3 others like this.
  2. But I might need to get one more and another carb setup since I finally scored a Weiand WC4D. this is my favorite intake for a small chevy. it just looks awesome. I've wanted one for a long. Thanks Justin!!

20180915_121700.jpg

3. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

So now you can sell me the tri power right?

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  4. @Black Clover Custom You'll be the first to know! I'm gonna get it up and running with the tri power. Probably 4 new 97's for the wc4d.

5. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

nice. cant wait to see how it looks on it.

6. finally got back to wrapping up the floor replacement. Pretty pleased with how it turned out. I replaces the rockers the lower B pillar supports, all the rubber mounting pads, and all of the floors. I wanted to maintain the bolt in trans cover and wood toes boards so I trimmed the floor accordingly and was able to use the original floor lip around the toe board and trans cover.

20181008_142620.jpg 20181008_153158.jpg 20181008_153205.jpg 20181008_160547.jpg 20181008_174101.jpg 20181013_154301.jpg

Black Clover Custom likes this.
  7. Then I needed to whip up some seat re-enforcement plates to mount the original bench seat back into it. The original seat re-enforcement panels were small and well looked like they needed more to it. they were also on the bottom side of the floor originally. I decided that I would put them on top, since it really just made it easier, and I could use the stamping in the rocker to tuck it into the rocker and tie it all together. plus I wanted to run it all the way to the trans tunnel and double wall the entire area, and I can tie it into several of the body mounting bolts that way. I got the panels made up, but ran out of time to roll some beads into the new seat plates. This should make it way stiffer.

20181013_200530.jpg 20181014_161412.jpg 20181014_161916.jpg

Black Clover Custom likes this.
  8. Once I get surface rust cleaned off and the beads rolled into these last panels, I clamp them in and spot it all together. then I can finally seam seal it all and paint the top and bottom side of the floor. Ill finally be able to start putting this pig all back together then!!

9. now that the seat mount plates are wrapped up and I'm going to be painting and sealing up the floor this weekend, ive been thinking about using some of the Rustoleum Bed liner stuff on the floors both top and bottom. Anything I can do to seal this metal up more seams like a good idea to me. Has anyone here used it with good results? how does it roll out. I'm already planning on doing the insides of the fenders with it as stone protectors, and thought maybe I should get more and do the floors. Any thoughts or opinions on this? worth while or messy waste of time?
    rustoleum-truck-bed-liner-kit.jpg

10. little red 50

little red 50

I used it on my 50 GMC probably 14 years ago underneath side of the front fenders and bottom of the cab. It still looks like when I put it on. I also used it to coat the inner fenders and rear wheel wells on my 54. It sticks to anything and everything. I really like it. I hope I never have to remove it.

Early Ironman and Nailhead Jason like this.
  11. Now that I have the floors all done I finally got them sealed up and a coat of paint on them. May still do the bed liner on the floor still. The seat reinforcement plates, proved to be too much for my bead roller, and just would not roll a bead in it, they are 14 guage.... so I just drilled them up and put them in. Not what I wanted but its way more than what was there stock. But the top side of the floors are all done, seam sealed and painted. plus I finally got to cut all the bracing out of it. Just have to seal up the bottom side and paint the bottom. then I can finally put this thing all back together!

20181103_150111.jpg 20181103_150242.jpg 20181103_165223.jpg 20181104_113023.jpg 20181104_145039.jpg

12. Also while I was at it, there was a hole for an antenna that had bugged me since the day I bought the car. so I made up a plug for it an welded it in. I'll fog some black paint over it before it hits to road, but I was just tired of seeing the hole...

20181104_120927.jpg 20181104_122752.jpg 20181104_124124.jpg

13. Also go the new fuel tank ready to go back in, I want to use the original fuel gauge but the stock type sender would not fit on the TANKS brand tank, so I took an old adapter I had to put a 5 bolt sender in a stock ford tanks and used it backwards, took some careful clocking and checking but it seems to work Just had to drill a couple holes through the sender and the adapter. One more part ready to go on!
    20181027_161739.jpg 20181027_161727.jpg 20181027_202131.jpg

Attached Files:

14. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Nice work man! Looks like the usual pain to weld hunched over and around the steel bracing. Fun.

15. Any more progress on this beauty?

sidevalve8ba likes this.
  16. It has been Slow going since Dec. Between work and my two boys, there have been very few free moments to get to work on the 39. However, some progress has been made. The bottom side of the floors are all wrapped up. I got my 2 original ford 16 inch rear wheels blasted and etch primed. The pedal assembly is back in with the new dual chamber master cylinder. Just need to bend up rear brake lines for the banjo and put the spring on it and its ready to go back in.

Now that the wheels have been blasted and etch primed I'm ready to epoxy prime all four wheels and the dash to get them ready for the Metallic copper paint. Once the rear is back in it, and the wheels are painted, I can really get moving forward on reassembly. I have all the wiring ready, A new set of original Deluxe gauges, all new glass, and a banjo steering wheel to install. Just got a set of old 50's seat covers to put over the original upholstery to get me through until I can save up for a complete interior. I did find a source and bout several yards of copper vinyl to use for piping that matches the paint great. planning on white tuck and roll with copper piping to match the dash, wheels and engine.

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I was tempted to get a set of those because they are so pretty. That is until I found out that there are no actual air filter elements available to fit them.
    So that being said, it's hard to call them air cleaners.

sidevalve8ba likes this.
  18. I have also been able to round up the last few big pieces I need for the next project. I have had this 32 Tudor sedan tucked away for about 15 years in the back corner of the shop. been collecting up all the need pieces as I find them and can afford them. When the time comes i'll start a new thread for the 32. tough to see but it is a 32 Tudor!
    20170402_191135.jpg

19. I scored really great collection of Early olds 324's from my friend Martin, he is moving, and after hauling all this home I can see why he doesn't want to take it with him!

20190215_174430.jpg 20190215_224351.jpg

20. The chassis will be built by my good buddy Ben Haag (Hotrodderhaag on the Hamb) and then ill plunk this ready to go 324 Olds with a 4 speed behind it. Picked up the open drive banjo rear and the front brakes From my pal Doug at Walker Smith speed shop here in Richmond, so that figures out the drive train!
    20190215_224412.jpg 20190310_115812.jpg

lothiandon1940 and Shadow Creek like this.
  21. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Now you have all that to stumble over till you find places to stash it, good score.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. I understand what your, saying, that's why I found air filters at Lowes that fit right in them, I used a round air filter element for an Ingersol Rand 2 stage air compressor.

23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Please post a part number for the filters, and a picture of the filter element and maybe a picture of how they fit the housings if you can.
    I'm wondering if they fit and look right with the existing screen or if they are a little too tall.
    That would be nice to see.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  24. Thanks for the update - sounds like good progress is being made, tho. I know how hard it is to find time for hobbies when life and kids (having 5 myself) take priority. Anxious to see what you are going to do with the 32 as well!

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  25. @simplestone My boys love this stuff so that's a bonus, but it's just the 3 of us so it gets tough juggling all this and getting hotrod time. Luckily they are old enough to really help! The 32 will be simple, Olds 324, 4 speed, black frame, and probably run it around in ruddy brown/red primer for a long time. Think Eastwood and Barakat but with black 40 wheels and firestones.

26. ^^^^I'm liking the sound of all of that^^^^^^...........WOW, Great score on all of the Olds stuff. But can we still call you Nailhead Jason?:D;)

27. Ha! I did not see all of that Olds stash when I stopped and visited with Martin a couple years ago. Sorry to see him go across the pond but glad you were able to take possession of all the great gear! Will be following along now to watch your progress.....……...

28. "Rocket 88 Jason" just doesn't have the same ring to it, does it?

29. .................LOL..So true.:D