Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects BRIAN MADE ME DO IT: 34 Roadster Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is the name of the product but I cannot find a link this morning form work. I can grab the info for you tonight off of one of the packages. They are brilliant and easy to install, plus they are practically invisible.
    upload_2018-3-14_10-31-55.png

2. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Thanks! The picture is sufficient- no need to do more digging!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They should just build them this way and save us the hassle.

Tim, loudbang and Tim_with_a_T like this.
  4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you are familiar with 34 ford inners, you know there is a square notch at the bottom and you know how far back they go. I filled all of the holed on the top, lengthened them and filled the notch on both sides. You cant tell, just stuff no one will ever really notice.
    upload_2018-3-14_21-1-27.png
    and right
    upload_2018-3-14_21-2-9.png
    I also added some straps inside the inner fenders to secure the wiring harness, here is the alt cable running through one of them
    upload_2018-3-14_21-3-47.png
    I also finished up the steering link. Pretty aint it? A lot of SS in this passage.
    upload_2018-3-14_21-5-1.png

5. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

loudbang likes this.
  6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After having completed the Gretsky maneuver up front it was necessary to lower the tail shaft accordingly. That was fairly simple, jack up the trans, remove the 1.25" aluminum spacer and cutting a 3/8" slice out of it. then some polishing. Pretty close for a garage hack
    upload_2018-3-15_20-44-58.png
    Polished and re-installed, all this to maintain my torque angles. what a pain.
    upload_2018-3-15_20-45-47.png
    I also used some clear epoxy to attach rubber bumpers to the clutch and brake pedals to prevent a firewall impact.
    I trimmed the excess, turned out well.
    upload_2018-3-15_20-47-58.png
    It doesn't look like much but that took quite a few hours this afternoon.

7. why is the rubber mounted to the pedal instead of the body?

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't want to see the bumpers on my firewall, this way they are invisible to the casual onlooker.

9. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Brian approves.

10. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Reminds me of this sign in Las Vegas.
    u-photo-u1-2.jpeg

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amen my brotha!

loudbang likes this.
  12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had made a nifty little bracket that bolted to the right head to hold my coil but with the motor in it's happy place (the Gretsky maneuver) and inner fenders bolted on the coil doesn't fit. So back to the drawing board.
    I had already bolted the ribbed recovery tank to the left side of the fan shroud that Lee at Brassworks made for my radiator.
    upload_2018-3-17_19-7-30.png
    So I figured the coil would balance things out.
    upload_2018-3-17_19-8-2.png
    Ill make up the coil wire tomorrow and finish this project.
    To remind you, the shroud does not hang from the core so the weight is a non issue, the cowl is bolted to the radiator frame as is the fan (which is almost out of sight now so the fact that it is electric won't upset anyone). :D

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hard focusing on things with so much reflection...:cool:...there thats better...hey you are very patient with these burps and farts along the way but then we get edited keyboard play by play...anyhow great job and the reflected stickers in the bottom pic are cool...and the fixes are always very orderly and well executed.

14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I missed that! My glass bead cabinet as well as my welder cart are littered with stickers. May be all holding them together!

15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

hungry, hungry frogs.
    upload_2018-3-19_21-45-12.png
    wide mouthed and looking for flies. Say ahhhh!
    upload_2018-3-19_21-46-0.png
    They fit the hole in the hood perfect, you can see the thumb screws I added. They fit both directions but I like them pointed forward better. I may change to velocity stacks later but I dig this look right now and hell, I own them already.

16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Cool man

loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Bandit Billy your running them screen only. I added those round filters and was chasing foam inserts down the road till I got crafty...:p...

I do like the look of the rounded screens I just have concerns of the effect of say a trip through a construction zone full of dust and cumulative dust/dirt inhaled through the frog mouthed choir.

18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I totally agree, I haven't got that far yet though. The only construction zone she is likely to encounter any time soon is where she is sitting! Every night I knock off a couple more items, the list is seemingly endless.

I removed the shortest leaf up front and the stiffener to lower the car so I had to fabricate a spacer last night. Used the slice I cut off my aluminum transmissions mount in a post a page back and drilled it, cut it to fit. and polished the edges in case anyone ever peaks in there. It's that little stuff that must be done but takes a lot of time and doesn't change the look of the car that kill me.

Tonight I get back to work on installing the electrical components, then more wiring.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  19. I gotta tell you Billy, I walked around for hours upon hours over the course of three days looking at cars here at the Cleveland autorama piston power show. I think I saw everything. The nicest feature cars with mirrors and gold plated jack stand paled in comparison to what I see here in these pictures. Some had some pretty trick parts but nowhere near the detail. Things look different in person than pictures I get it, but good lord dude you are a maniac...

20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A righteous complement from a craftsman like yourself.
    Tonight I was on the wiring warpath. I made a stop at my favorite supplier, West Coast Marine in Portland. I bought these sweet bus bars to use as ground sources.
    upload_2018-3-20_22-26-6.png
    I mounted one under the dash with epoxy.
    upload_2018-3-20_22-23-5.png
    I mounted the other in the trunk area. I grounded both to the frame mounts. Now all grounds will connect at these points. Even though the body is steel, there is a lot of paint to get through. This picture in the trunk is upside down but you get the point. I tested every light and component with the ohm meter, all go immediate to ground.
    upload_2018-3-20_22-27-13.png
    I installed the starter solenoid (trunk mounted battery) and wired it to the starter.
    upload_2018-3-20_22-29-2.png
    I also ran the starter button activator wire and tied everything together old school style
    upload_2018-3-20_22-30-23.png
    I ran all the power through a master disconnect switch (Pollock Marine) which is accessed under the body above the gas tank.
    upload_2018-3-20_22-33-39.png
    From there it flows through a 100 amp circuit breaker mounted inside the right quarter panel before going to the battery. I added bolts to the breaker, ground off the paint in the trunk and used JB weld to epoxy the bolt heads down to the inner fender so I could unbolt and replace the breaker should it ever fail.
    upload_2018-3-20_22-36-3.png
    All power flows through here (other than the starter solenoid path) including the disconnect switch in case of shorting error of the switch itself. The disconnect switch power is as follows;
    #6 for fuse panel, #4 alt. charging, #6 isolated heater circuit. and the #2 main feed from the 100 amp breaker.
    upload_2018-3-20_22-37-51.png
    I also wired my headlights. These are 34 passenger lights from vintique (ford logos on shell and lens) that I grounded through the mounts so I could utilize all four leads (turn signals in the shells) , I drilled the shells and routed the conduit through the inner fenders using bullet connectors to attach later to the harness.
    upload_2018-3-20_22-43-1.png
    I am only a few leads away from being able to crank the motor. Timing is still set from the burn in so I should be able to hear it run soon barring any set backs.
    More wiring to follow. gotta sleep and stop by the liquor store tomorrow on my way home.

Attached Files:

21. Things are heating up now.

loudbang likes this.
  22. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is a fun little project I pulled off tonight. As you know from reading I have been working on the electrical system and it has come time to add a battery. I have been doing a lot of research on the subject and I decided on the Odyssey AGM unit. it is small, light and has 900 CCA so what the hell. Before you ask, the Odyssey Extreme requires no venting making it perfect for this project. They require a special battery tender so I bought one of those too. Batteries Plus, 3 year warranty good in all states.

A few years back I found this cool Samsonite make up case, still had a Princess Cruise tag on the handle. I adorned it with some stickers for fun.

upload_2018-3-23_22-8-20.png
    I removed the lining, other than the mirror in the lid, and added aluminized heat shield and a battery mat. I had a chunk of aluminum angle lying around so I made a bracket and bolted it down to the floor of the box to prevent the little batteries movement.
    upload_2018-3-23_22-11-47.png
    To move the juice out of the box I used a set of bulkhead connectors that are insolated/insulated and rated at 500 amps. The battery connects there as shown as well as the battery tender connections to make it easy for maintaining the charge during the winter months.
    This is the back showing the bulkhead connectors passing through the case. I will add a couple of rubber protectors to the studs but I put them on this end to make it easier to connect jumper cables if ever necessary.
    upload_2018-3-23_22-15-5.png
    And a close up the inside connections.
    upload_2018-3-23_22-15-54.png
    There is still a lot of room in the box, I will keep my receipt, warranty and instructions in here with the battery.
    To make it easier to remove and install I added a quick disconnect. This end I bolted to the case, the other will be loose in the trunk.
    upload_2018-3-23_22-18-40.png
    All said it is a neat little self contained power source, high tech and powerful but all the world will see is a little leather case lying next to my golf clubs in the trunk
    upload_2018-3-23_22-23-27.png

Attached Files:

charleyw, kiwijeff, GordonC and 13 others like this.
  23. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

What's hidden in the golf bag, maybe roadster top?

LBCD, The 39 guy and loudbang like this.
  24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nothing other than my favorite weekend friends and an empty pewter flask.

Sancho, oldsjoe and loudbang like this.
  25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

My favourite weekend friends are my tools and my beer fridge. :D

No golf clubs for this guy.
    I’m in agreement with Robin Williams in his take on golf. :D

26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been playing for a while, Always wanted a good enough game to take money from my friends. I have a 9 handicap, that's good enough to "have few drinks and make some coin on the links".

Got no photos other than this one
    upload_2018-3-24_21-35-50.png
    Took all day but I managed to wrap up the "engine management harness" into one run it into the car down the right inner fender. It includes the coil wires, MSD connector for the distributor, vacuum line for the MSD blower box, the cooling fan motor, the thermostat sensor for the fan and both the left and right side temp gauge senders. All cloth wrapped and wire tied.

Tomorrow I will make the lighting harness on the left side of the engine bay to include the headlights, signals, horn and fog light.

I plan on running the central car harness tomorrow as well which includes the seat heaters, usb charging ports, reverse lights, power window circuit and the electronic speedo.

The rear car harness (tail lights, reverse light, fuel pump and tank sender) are already in place.

loudbang, Sancho, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  27. Don’t wanna blow your own horn ehh? Good, we weren’t gonna ask you to

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  28. Say Billy, as you’re 5 minuets from Portland, you didn’t happen to show up to the NSRA Vancouver show in 2014 did ya?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.