Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Brian Bass on Fast & Loud

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xracer40, Oct 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well done!
    Looks good and sounds good..I bet it's a real kick to drive.
    Congratulations.

loudbang likes this.
  2. jimdillon

jimdillon

Brian, you not only had the vision and talent to build the best 34 out there but you helped make this the best GMG episode IMO. All of the GMG guys have talent that goes without saying and Richard has talent for making money but I guess I was tired of the “builds” that seemed to go by the same old script of slam it, put on calliope wheels and big brakes. I hope your recent effort showed them that there is another way to build killer hot rods. You nailed it, congrats.

3. I watched the top-chop episode last night... not that easy to pull off on a 5-window body. I think the car came out great, hope Mr. Bass makes more appearances on the show or gets his own show!

4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

If they could only stop all the fake drama / deadlines. I watch to learn stuff.
    Almost forgot, I LOVED the car. Gary

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  5. cederholm

cederholm

Stunning! Absolutely stunning Mr. Bass!

~ Carl

loudbang likes this.
  6. slowmotion

slowmotion

All the well deserved kudo's of an outstanding build aside. Did anyone else notice the cadence of that wicked-ass hemi?:eek:
    Damn, sounds like Bass could tip the can a little and that monster would be right in the hunt!
    I think this thing's changed the bar as far as '34s go, helluva job!

chryslerfan55, dwollam, KKrod and 3 others like this.
  7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

OK... I keep getting people messaging me about double standards and why I let this thread ride when I delete every other reality show post.

I don't really have a good answer to be honest. I don't really watch TV other than football and the shows (Stranger Things, etc...) that my wife and I stream once we get the kids to bed. I know nothing about the Gas Monkey show other than reputation and frankly, it doesn't seem any different than any of the other reality shows that have come and gone in the last decade. I'm not bagging the show or the people involved at all... I'm just not a reality TV guy is all.

And that's really why I've deleted every reality TV show threads in the past - ignorance on my part.

And I'm still ignorant about it all. I've never seen the show and probably never will. But I like Brian... and this car they built looks pretty cool to me, so I've made an exception in this case. It won't be the norm, so if this isn't your thing - don't sweat it.

And yeah, it's a double standard. Sorry.

8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

chryslerfan55 and dwollam like this.
  9. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I thought the show last night was awesome with Brian Bass involved, that '34 coupe is killer with blown Hemi Power!!

10. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Yep last nights was even better than last weeks, I watched it twice.
    I am a not so secret Bass stalker and that could be the basis for the enthusiasm.
    There seemed to be a lot less tension with the team on this build even with Coy taking a paint and body stand. Even Richard was a smidge less douchee so far this season. All though his over the top quirks are harmless. I surmise he is not the biggest stroke getting airtime these days but it is easy to pick him apart and poke fun.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. Great car! I love the interior. Haven't seen the show as we don't get first run episodes up here. Congrats Brian! I really hope you start showing some more of your builds on here again. I really miss seeing your work.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Could be future builds, but the white Model A I saw briefly looked like a rod that was ready to cruise the streets!

chryslerfan55 and CoronetRTguy like this.
  13. 34Larry

34Larry

Well as you might guess I was mildly interested in this show seeing as how I started my '55 Chrysler 331 Hemi powered 34 (3 window) Ford quite a long time ago, finishing it (as finished as they ever get anyway ). this last July.
    First, I like their build, (who wouldn't)? From what little I could ascertain, the guys are great fabricators, and being from the northwest tip of the ?USA, don't know of Brian Bass and it looks like (Richard) wouldn't trust anyone to step into Aarons shoes from his group of shop talent so he went shopping for a shop lead/Forman. Sad that. Not to take anything away from Brain, just sayin.
    I'm not impressed with Richard, other than to say he seems to know less than my wife about fabricating and is a pretty savey wheeler dealer most the time. Seems to have boo coo $$$$$$$, how much Discovery is backing him and put him in the place he is, is suspect in my mind and always has been. I stopped watching this show long ago because it is a sham when really showing the real fab work it takes to build a car. They build some nice cars, and this one is a great one IMO, but then I'm kinda Bias.
    So last night I watched with particular interest the proceeding of the build. Short and sweet..........the producer(s) short changed you if you wanted to see a real build. Having done the same (except for the chop), only about 1/3 was really shown.
    So...........if your a first time or maybe even 2nd or 3rd time builder type, be advised that this Fast-n-Loud Show (as with most on Velocity), has nothing to do with building a car and never has on anything they have built. It is intended for entertainment only, nothing else, nothing else, nothing else.
    On a scale of 1-10 the show itself was a 4-, (or is it -4?), the 34 is a close 9.
    Don't wanna hear, "maybe your a little jealous", I'd admit to that somewhat.
    I love my 34 a lot and wish I had the resources in shop space, machine tools, and yes the $$$$$$$$ ($50K I believe it was) and talent in painting that is available to him/them to accomplish what was done to this 5 window.

This can not compare to The F.n.L. 34 but knowing I put much skin, sweat and yes love into it makes up for that.
    34 at 2017 Lyons Federal Way show.jpg

14. very nice build
    would be nice to have a custom show without all the BS
    thanks Bass for a little peek at what that might look like

chryslerfan55, Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  15. oldsman41

oldsman41

i watched the show nice outcome i think over all. i dont like to cut a top that much but really nice overall

16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Listened to Richard as the keynote speaker this morning at Chicago AWS Fabtech and I have to say that it was interesting to see a different side of him off of the TV screen.
    He was pretty well spoken and answered questions well.
    I met him for a brief conversation afterwards and told him how impressed I was by the Bass team up and he agreed that it was a great experience and produced a bad ass car.

Shook his hand and got a picture.
    I know that he takes some heat but it was good seeing him in a different venue.
    All things considered I think he has done well.
    He’s traveling all over and going to visit the troops overseas soon as well.
    I’m still a fan like it or not :D
    EA43AAE8-ACC1-42A2-A66F-4F8BAA6E84E9.jpeg 8A24F614-A8F6-4A77-AD1A-36823F83F0C4.jpeg

17. Here's the story behind the "Monkeypecker" logo ... in Brian's own words / photos:

Brian Bass: The “Monkeypecker” logo was something that I came up with and painted on the ‘34. It’s an homage to the Clay Smith Cams “Mr. Horsepower” logo that was used on the Mooneyham & Sharp 554. Not everyone gets it, and it’s sort of a love it or hate it detail. But I think it rules.

MonkeyPecker Logo - driver's side (1).jpg
    MonkeyPecker Logo - driver's side (2).jpg
    MonkeyPecker Logo - passenger side (1).jpg
    MonkeyPecker Logo - passenger side (2).jpg
    MonkeyPecker.jpg

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  18. I love this Hot Rod. Only issue I had, was that maybe the woodpecker was a sticker. Stickers to me are cheap, so it was a nice surprise to find it was paint, and Brian designed and painted it. Every Hot Rod guy should not need the concept explained, it's really quite cool, unless you don't like Richy. Personally, I don't mind him, I'd even like to meet him and see what he's like off camera.

Now my other point would be, Bass is the Hamb equivalent of Foose!
    Don't agree? Brian did all the type of work Foose dose, just not to the same polished calibre, but more Hamb style, down to earth, and 100% badass Hot Rod.

As for bagging these shows, get past the drama for the masses (owners got to appeal to as many as they can, they running a biz, and numbers equal profit) and just enjoy a condensed version of building cool cars.

19. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

These shows are entertainment for the masses, not many people would watch them if they showed the actual basic construction. Look at how many people click on cat videos vs how many on welding videos, most people do not want to learn something they want entertainment. There are occasional nuggets to me learned on these type of shows, and this build was better than most. I wonder how much Brian found the tv people in the way while building that car?

20. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

Congrats to B. Bass. Well deserved attention to his vision of what a 60's hot rod can be. Obviously an amazing talent and all around nice guy. Glad to see this coverage here...

Thanks Ryan.

21. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I really don't have any issue with Fast and Loud or Richard in particular. The downfall of a lot of great fabricating talent is they're not good at business. It's rare that a fabricator (the "artistic" side) and accountant (the "analytical" side) are the same person..... a left-brain/right-brain thing. Richard knows he's not a fabricator, but knows what his strengths are..... BS and making money. He'll find another Aaron because he HAS to (and I'm sure he knows it).
    For me.... bottom line is it's entertainment that is more closely aligned with my lifestyle. Not a weekly how-to, but not American Pickers either. I don't watch a lot of TV and won't stay up late to watch an episode, but just consider it mindless entertainment for car guys.
    Oh, and all the way through the show I kept thinking 554, but when they picked the color it sealed it. Nice build but a bit too chromey even for me.

chryslerfan55, kiwijeff and loudbang like this.
  22. 34Larry

34Larry

It occurred to me after making the post above that it was a big error on my part to include the picture of my 34. I'm feeling it was an intrusion on the great build and result of Brian's 34, another life lesson for this old man. My apologies Brian, how soon can you take mine in for your touch?? (Just kidding)

23. Beautiful car. Nailed it. What more could I say that hasn't been already said.

Just curious about the HUGE blower pulley. Just curious why it's underdriven.. streetability?

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  24. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

My opinion means nothing in the world of TV or Hot Rods. I'll just say Brian and the Gas Monkey team built a helluva COOL HOT ROD! I'm sure "most" everyone here on the HAMB would love to be able to say they built anything close to it! Some can and do, some like me haven't the talent resources or equipment to pull it off. So I'll keep on enjoying the labor of love, of building Hot Rods through others efforts! Thanks for all the insight Brian and HEMI 32 I love the car and the way it was put together, my only complaint, well I have two. 1) I wish I could hear it run live! 2) It's not sitting in my shop! Joe

loudbang, jetnow1, The37Kid and 2 others like this.
  25. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

It is a huge pulley, no doubt. It's actually a vintage flanged Weiand 3" Gilmer pulley out of my stash, and the flange makes it look even bigger than it really is. Most people that aren't familiar with vintage speed equipment have never even seen a Weiand flanged pulley so it's hard for them to figure out what's going on there.

The blower is underdriven 24%, which sounds like a lot. But the engine is only 345ci, and the static compression is 8.5:1. With the pulleys that are on it, it still puts out a max of around 7 lbs. The new Weiand 6-71 blowers are a little more efficient than the old original GMC blowers, apparently. So effective compression ratio with that amount of boost is about 13.5:1 (approx.), and that is on the ragged edge of pump gas streetability. Even though the Hemi has Venolia forged pistons and H-beam Molnar rods, it has stock main caps and main bolts and I didn't want to take a chance on hurting it.

We could have put a smaller pulley on the top and made more boost and more horsepower, but my reasoning was why bother? More power damn sure ain't gonna make it easier to drive, and it's already a handful. And I wasn't going to be the only one driving it...so let's just call that big pulley an "insurance policy."

26. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

If you don't like the Woodpecker get out the EASY OFF OVEN CLEANER. But I think it fits with the overall theme of the build
    Great job Brian Bass. Thanks for the ride Frank

31chevymike, loudbang and D-Russ like this.
  27. atch

atch

There's only one thing wrong with that car: my name isn't on the title.

28. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

This car is instantly, hands-down, my favorite '33-34 Ford. And I usually go apeshit for 3-windows. But this thing is just perfect in every detail.

Some people saying it would be better without a chop, or that it's sacrilege to cut a hole in the hood or the cowl... oh my god.

[​IMG]

29. loudbang

loudbang

One thing I think I can safely say is most people here really APPREACHETE you spending some of your time replying to this thread (and being on the HAMB) and correcting things or giving us more info on this great build. Keep up the great work.

30. billsat

billsat

That '34 is everything I could want in a hot rod, my regards to Brian and the entire team of builders. I wish I had the car or the talent to build one for myself but that ain't happening. Not yet anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.