Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Brian Bass on Fast & Loud

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xracer40, Oct 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Absolutely! I think the 554 may be the best ‘34 Five Window ever. I’ve wanted to build my own version of it for a long time. Doing this car for Fast N’ Loud let me get that out of my system.

dwollam, Dog_Patch, oldsjoe and 15 others like this.
  2. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

That is awesome! Is the original coup still around? If so have you gotten to see it in person?

Gene Chan's T from what I am told is still around. His brother I believe had the car. He passed away before I could get a chance to talk to him. I had his phone number and things got in the way if making the call.

Sent from my Z971 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

4. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Oh thought you guys used a one piece on top because of the center strip. Sorry for above post.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. dan31

dan31

Bass, I love the car and think everyone involved did a awesome job on it. I have been looking but haven't seen printed what color code the car is. Looks perfect.

6. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

No worries. I actually had them order a 3 piece Rootlieb, but I wanted the top to attach to the sides like a factory hood with the piano hinge, and wanted the sides to have stock latches. Like if you were to take a stock hood and weld the center together. I was planning on making it a drag-style lift off type hood.

But...the hood showed up with plain sides and no hinges, so we were forced to use the stock hood...which honestly was probably a better idea anyway because it works swell.

dwollam, oldsjoe, kiwijeff and 9 others like this.
  7. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

there s a big difference between cutting that car in the 60 s when that car was 30 odd years old and plentiful by comparison to today and cutting one up today 50 plus years later.

chryslerfan55 and mjgord51 like this.
  8. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Thanks! The paint was custom mixed in house, so there’s no code for it. Mike called it “Blue Velvet.”

‘56-57 Corvette Arctic Blue is pretty close though if you want something similar.

dwollam, oldsjoe, 31chevymike and 6 others like this.
  9. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Yawn.

I gotta get back to work. Thanks for the kind words guys. If you have any more questions, fire away and I’ll try to get back and answer them here shortly.

10. jimdillon

jimdillon

Bass I believe this 34 is one of the nicest 34 hotrods out there. I would not change a thing except for the monkey nonsense on the side. Color is perfect and the scoop sticking out of the hood is as good as it gets. There will always be detractors no matter what but this was an old hot rod not some pristine 34 that had been saved so we would all recognize what a factory 34 looked like. My personal opinion is you set the standard of what a 34 should look like. My cousin is on the trail of a 34 and I sent him a picture of your car and he agrees you hit it out of the park. Looking forward to the show on Monday.

11. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I'm going to play falcongeorge on this one and step away from my normal socially correct self.
    One thing the HAMB has taught me is that there seems to be way more than plenty of these cool old original cars to cut up on than there are cool old or young guys around to own them. Yes I mean worthy in my personal spit on the umpires black shoes opinion.
    I mean who in the future won't be able to tig weld a piece of metal in a hood top if they so desire to meet the homogenized rules of there time? Isn't there a app on the iPhone X for that?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. GeeRam

GeeRam

I've been searching period factory colours for past 2 years for my 32 3w project, and have narrowed it down to either 56-57 Chevy Artic Blue or 62-63 Ford Viking Blue, so nice to known Artic Blue is such a close match to this mix, as it looks stunning :cool::cool:

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Those are some pretty big shoes to fill.
    Miss ol George!

14. dan31

dan31

Your not a HOT RODDER ,you are a ANTIQUER and that's ok,but this is a hot rod forum. Your tag line says "No stopping the roddin" but how do you even start the rodding if you don't cut,chop or modify?. The paint color is perfect and made to look like a famous historical drag car,how can it be too modern?.

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

For the guys whos shorts are all wadded up here is the 554 around 1962 when it was owned by a guy on the East Coast. Happy with the hood scoop & color? o_O
    [​IMG] Bob

dwollam, oldsjoe, kiwijeff and 8 others like this.
  16. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

If we didn't cut up old cars to build hot rods we would not have a hobby to enjoy!

17. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Where at on the east coast?

That looks like a Ford color yellow. Kind of like spring time yellow. Not sure if that is correct name or not.

Sent from my Z971 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Whose wheels are on the back?, American Rebel or Real Rodders. Size?

loudbang likes this.
  19. The37Kid

The37Kid

kiwijeff, loudbang, HEMI32 and 2 others like this.
  20. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

at least you didn't hack into the cowl

21. Budget36

Budget36

@nunattax how about you tell the HAMB your version of do's and don'ts while building a hotrod.

I think we'd all like to hear that.

loudbang, Stock Racer and Never2low like this.
  22. The37Kid

The37Kid

That would have been more authentic, this was a build not a clone. Bob

[​IMG]

dwollam, oldsjoe, kiwijeff and 3 others like this.
  23. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

7E888AC0-B28A-4C5F-A325-D959582C412D.jpeg

24. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

If you don't like the car, why not spend your time else where? I think the consensus is that Brian has a lot to be proud of with this build - and rightly so. I also think the response your going to get on this side of the pond with "POG MO THOIN" is......."you're going to have to pull your head out of it first."

25. Budget36

Budget36

So....you're just a self appointed ding-a-ling? Heck, everyone here could have saved you the effort and made that call!

Continue on, I'm sure that many are following your expertise...Mr. Bass surely would be interested in your thoughts for his next build...

26. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Outstanding :cool:

27. xracer40

xracer40

I am pretty sure on the show they said they were American Rebel.

28. ls1yj

ls1yj
    from Kentucky

Guys, all of this silly banter is what gets these threads shut down... let irish have his opinion, and let’s keep enjoying this behind the scenes thread of Brian’s killer design direction, and the great team build effort

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

dwollam, oldsjoe, kiwijeff and 4 others like this.
  29. Damn right the 554 still exists! I saw it run all over So Cal in the 60's, and was very happy to see it again when it made a visit to the NHRA Museum in 2010. The photo of it above in yellow, was after Freeman & Sons sold it to K&G on the east coast in '64. Looked like shit in yellow. It's now in the Garlits Museum, which ain't right. It was always a west coast car when Gene Mooneyham built and raced it. It should be here!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    dwollam, oldsjoe, kiwijeff and 13 others like this.
  30. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Sorry, musta missed that part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.