Register now to get rid of these ads!

Breaking Steering Column Lock on Caddy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Liv42day, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Liv42day

Liv42day

So I bought two 1973 Cadillac Eldos that had been in a barn for over 10 years. Owner didn't come get them. They went up for sale. I bought both of them. One was lifted on to a trailer and pulled off. But I don't know how to get the steering column locks out so I can use them. I totally messed up one like an idiot. Back in the day my parents had a car stolen that they just took a hammer and knocked off the column lock. And away it went. Not so much with old Caddilacs. And then I wrecked the column in the process. Which is probably worth money. I was thinking about putting a screw into the lock and put a slide hammer on it and yank it out. Any better ideas? With one I am going to have to cut the lock off the column because I trashed it so bad. Stupid.

2. nobux

nobux

Actually, with a steering wheel puller and a phillips screwdriver, it's about a 15 minute job to pull the lock cylinder and replace it with a new one. Most parts stores carry replacement ignition lock cylinders with keys.

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

It's been a few years since I've been poking at late GM stuff in the junnkyard, but from memory I think the problem is actually pretty simple:

1. Pull steering wheel
    2. Push down on toothed lock wheel beneath and remove it. There's a simple and cheap tool for the pushing down that will save you lots of fumbling and swearing...
    3. A set screw right over the cylinder allows it to come out. I think you have to loosen turn signal switch and miscellaneous simple crap to see it--details are foggy in my memory here, but just simple screwdriver stuff.

Once cylinder is out, I think code is on it for getting a key, and most '69-early 80's GM cylinders interchange, so you can just go pull one with a key at the junkyard. Any time you pull a GM steering wheel in the yard, grab the two little springs in the turn signal cam--they are going to break soon!

4. Liv42day

Liv42day

I really don't need keys for them either. I would be happy with just being able to get them out of park. The new owner of the cars can get locks if they choose when I sell them with out the engines. Anyone need two Cadillacs?

5. Haunted Ken

Haunted Ken

mmmmmm.... 500 cid Caddy mills......

6. squirrel

squirrel

I think the whole point of this episode is that he got two 500s...and has two leftover caddies....

as others said, to do it "right" you have to pull the wheel and then pull of the lock plate, and get the turn signal switch out of the way, then find the slot and push in the little retaining pin. but that requires at least one special tool, and with tilt/tele columns it's kind of fun to figure out how to get the wheel off, etc. if you don't have the manual.

you can disconnect the shift linkage at the bottom of the column to get it out of park, but then it's still a bit hard to steer with the column locked.

On the plus side, those columns are kind of big and ugly, so you're not really ruining a desireable part by screwing them up.

7. nobux

nobux

You also do not HAVE to put a new lock cylinder in when you take the old one out. Just reach in the hole with a needle nose pliers and turn the tang.

8. Liv42day

Liv42day

I don't have the engines out yet. But I really need to move them from their location to do this. And them being in park makes it a bit difficult. I definately need to move one of them tonight. These cars are probably worth 150 a piece in scrap they weigh so much! Is there anything on these cars worth anything on these cars besides the engines?