Register now to get rid of these ads!

Breaking Starter Housings, Please Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Iceberg460, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Whats up guys?

Working on a friends car with a slow/no-crank problem. Vehicle is a '69 Lincoln Continental with a 460/C6 swap from a '78 Merc Marquis (sorry, I know it's kinda OT).

Vehicle has had 2 starters replaced in the last month, same problem with each one, the snout breaks right around the outer bearing. We figured the first one broke because of a starter bolt that was loose, but the second time everything was tight.

It almost looks like something is trying to pull the starter gear into the flex plate. I've spun the motor over by hand with the starter and inspection plate off and all the ring gear teeth look ok, and there are no obvious cracks or bends in the flex plate. Any ideas what could cause this?
    Thanks,<O:p</O:p
    Justin<O:p</O:p

2. sounds like it's the wrong starter.

3. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

I don't think it the wrong starter, the first one had been in there for some time before it went out. Second one was only in the car for maybe a week. Also there were no fitment issues, everything lined up perfact as far as I could see. I'll double check with the parts house though..

I should add something to my first post, both the starters were more then likely the cheapest remanufactured ones the vehicle owner could find (he supplied the parts). I just assumed that if there were quality issues with using cheap starters it would be more of a problem with the electrical components then the mechanical??