Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Breaking in an engine with a blower.............

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ekimneirbo, Sep 27, 2022.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I broke in my flathead with the blower on it, like the guys said above it isn't going to making boost at 2000-2500 rpm and that is break in speed. I did use a trusted Holley 4 barrel off my 442 so I didn't have to screw with the Stromberg's during burn in.

Anyone need a 4 barrel 471 adapter? Polished of course. :cool:

Budget36, ekimneirbo and mad mikey like this.
  2. Like I stated earlier, broke my 406 sbc in installed in the coupe. 950 Quick Fuel blower carb. large roller cam. Then some fine tuning and went off to the track.

3. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

I am sure that we all know that a standard motor build from either a short block or a long block takes time. But, to know the motor is going to have a supercharger changes things within the build. The more horsepower you plan on using the sturdier the engine build must be.

In our everyday 283 SBC motor with 6 Stromberg carbs, we ran normal high compression aluminum pistons/rods, ported and polished heads, an Isky Cam and Kit. It was a strong motor for the street and in our 40 Willys Coupe, had good power to go fast in the B/gas class. When we started it for the first time, we use a lighter weight oil, hand cranked several times and then started it up. It ran great and with some carb adjustment, it was running fine.

Several trips around the block and normal driving, shifting and handling was great. Then later, we took it for a longer cruise in the evening for some teenage fun. It ran fine, no overheating and the only thing was that we had to stop for gas more times than we liked, due to the small 2.5 gallon Moon Aluminum Tank. In the next week, we changed the oil to a heavy duty 30 wt. and it was now ready for some full power assault runs at Lion’s Dragstrip.
    upload_2022-10-3_3-42-13.png
    But, when we moved up to the 671 supercharger addition, we decided with the help of professional builders and mechanics that had knowledge of what a 671 could do. So, they (Reath Automotive and Joe Mailliard shops)had their way of building such a powerful motor for competition. With a new 671 from a diesel display that needed racing clearances, Reath added their build, as well as telling us what compression pistons, aluminum rods and they added a machined crank in the parts for us to put together.

Joe Mailliard suggested a Joe Hunt Vertex Magneto. We already had one of the first Isky-Gilmer 671 Blower Drive Kits and Pulley set ups that just started to hit the markets. So, it was a giant puzzle that we spent several months putting everything together. The first start was good and after adjusting the 6 carbs again, it was a powerful SBC motor. A simple blip of the pedal threw us back into our seats, almost at will.

Why not just put the 671 on the 283? The recommendation was the same procedure, a lighter weight oil initially on start up after several hand cranks. Plus, for the 283, the way we built it, was a good motor for the street daily driving and runs at Lion’s Dragstrip on the weekends. The new motor with all blower spec low compression motor would be for an all out assault on the record books. We drove it on the streets of Bixby Knolls, but we knew it was not going to be a daily driver to school and the drags.
    upload_2022-10-3_3-44-18.png
    The normal heavy duty 30 wt. oil was put in for the weekend runs at Lion’s Dragstrip for the whole summer competition. By the end of the summer competition, we were .40 seconds off of the national record for the C/Gas class.

Jnaki

So, if high performance is not the thing, then you can add a supercharger to the motor. But, certainly, a total rebuild of the old Cad motor is on the build list. New parts are always helpful for longevity and you never know what that old motor has gone through in its life. For power and safety, the build should be strong enough to withstand lots of power, or a simple version not needing that extra power.

If that is the case, why use the 671 in the first place?

ekimneirbo likes this.
  4. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

A complete rebuild will be done, and I already have many of the higher strength components sitting on my shelf. Adding the blower has been an on again/off again thought process. Given the problems in todays fuel marketplace, I have concerns about not only the availability of premium fuel, but its cost if available.
    Without the blower, I can build a pretty powerful motor that can run fine on regular fuel. Thats what 500 cubic inches allows someone to do. With the blower, I would need premium fuel ...........
    I have what appears to be a decent condition GMC 6-71 sitting on the shelf and need to either check it out or send it out. Sent a message to a guy that has a 6-71 Weiand complete for a BB Chevy for sale. Haven't heard back from him. He seems to be kind of an a**hole, so may or may not work out.

At any rate, just think a 500 Cad with a blower says "HotRod" pretty well..........Not many of them around. I'd like to have a car that can run in the 11s and be moderate enough for enjoyable street driving. Thats the goal for now anyway.:)

rod1, Budget36 and jnaki like this.