Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Breaking Bad

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Breaking Bad

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    patmanta likes this.
  2. newjersm3

newjersm3

3. Incredible car and great story, Ryan. Sure wish Tim could have convinced him to remove that silly Hiboy script off of the insert before he took the shots.:)

general gow and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in the '70's I remember drooling over an article on Tom Donahue,in either Street Rod or Rod Action . This roadster along with a stude powered chopped"T"coupe,a Buick powered Starbird (?) Merc, and a scalloped chopped shoebox,among others were in it. Always wondered what became of them? That '32 is the epitome of COOL!

5. Sure the car has a lot of unattainable parts,many of which any red blooded hot rodder would love to have but IMHO it's just too much.

I suppose part of my problem is I have never been a fan of E&J headlight..other than that the roadster is pretty cool. HRP

6. blue57ford

blue57ford

Badass!!

Warren G??

7. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Great car, great photos @notrod13 !

Malcolm

8. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

This is the car that stopped me in my tracks at the Hill Climb. I spent the next 20 minutes drooling over it. Nice article and photos.

9. spooler41

spooler41

Ryan ,you have hit another home run with this one. While I'm usually not moved by '32 Fords,
    this one has. It's probably the finest '32 I've ever laid eyes on,bar none.
    Thanks for sharing .
    ...........................Jack

10. The car is a work of art.
    But the beauty of art is in the eye of the beholder. I never could understand the attraction of a Duvall windshield or those weird E&J lights. In the eyes of this beholder, those detract from an otherwise near perfect quintessential hot rod.
    Its like looking at a display from an old speed shop exhibiting all their cool parts of the era.

11. Ryan,
    Well you done and did it another time. This roadster is Sooooooooo-o dam cool. and your story is great.

12. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Haha, that's one that I was going to ask you about, but I had to come back to the flatlands. Sutton did his usual bang up job of shooting, the shots are amazing. Glad I didn't muck it up :)

13. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Wonder if he has a sign on his house that says "house"?

28A, Muttley and 49ratfink like this.
  14. belair

belair

I like the tires. Really.

15. A Boner

A Boner

Ryan, beat you to it.....saved some pic's of it from the Hill Climb, yesterday! Part of it's charm, is the rough around the edges dusty paint job.....nice Hot Rod.

Built before the traditional restoration rule book.....just built the way the owner wanted!

16. thequietwon

thequietwon

I am cool with everything but the width of the rear, or the offset of the wheels. Bad ass car none the less...
    Sam

17. pumpman

pumpman

Good call Ryan, that thing is my dream wish from top to bottom. Not a big Duvall fan but man it really works on that 32. Thanks for stepping up on this one.

18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I'm still in a quandary about the 'spell' E&J headlights cast over the multitudes. Same with Duvall windshields...
    But this '32 has more of the 'right stuff' than any other. When is 'more' too much? Now. Right here.

Muttley likes this.
  19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

'47 axles and tubes... they are wider, but also stronger... That's why you see a lot of historical racing photos with this same look. My coupe has the same rear.

travisfromkansas likes this.
  20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if that car somehow ended up in my garage the first thing I'd do is remove those headlights.

dana barlow and Muttley like this.
  21. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Ryan, tell Tim that shots should be landscaped, not portrait, my mouse wheel finger got tired going up and down,,,,
    Well that was the only thing I could pick on the wonderfully shot images. Tim is a master of his trade. And the roadster is amazing.

22. nice car! the great thing about the EJ headlights on that car, with the duval windscreen and layed back top, is it matches the contour of the car perfect. the lights actually disappear. no other light would do that.

23. Muttley

Muttley

Three things need to go, immediately...........the headlights, the windshield and that stupid "Hiboy" emblem. Very nice car otherwise.

dana barlow likes this.
  24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I get the backlash on the headlights and the emblem... E&J's have never been my thing, but they make sense on this car given it's history. And I'm guessing that emblem has been on the car since it was built.

The Duval though? Dude, it's a real one... Plus, the top might have the best profile I've ever seen on a deuce roadster... and that's made possible by the Duval. I'm a big, big fan.

Eric H likes this.
  25. Muttley

Muttley

Real, reproduction.........I dont like them either way. Just not a fan of those, on that car or any other.

plumbid and dana barlow like this.
  26. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Love the car as a whole, but I'm gonna pile onto the E&J hating band-wagon.

My first reaction was, "ew, E&J's" followed immediately by, "my god, that top is perfect"

27. catdad49

catdad49

If the owner ever decides to sell this, he can definitely say " too much to list!" Thanks for the pics, Carp

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

There's a fine line between "rare parts" and "details". It's so very easy to look at the photos and say, "Another Gold Chainer with a lot of money to throw around." I think what's VERY important to remember is the time period that all those parts were collected and used. It not only explains the "rare parts", but validates them. I think this car has a lot of "fine details". Whether or not the details appeal to you, is a YOU problem.

In a time when Hotrodder's were switching to Centerline wheels, pastel paint and taking the trim off of cars, this guy held on to his roots. Shit! He bought or saved the stuff a lot of guys were chopping off their cars in an effort to be "cool" or "in vogue". This man scored his "rare" parts, when they were just parts or even worse, junk and out dated. He won and a lot of guys not only missed the boat, they didn't even have a boarding pass.

You can fault his parts list, but you can't fault is mission or his wisdom. This HOTROD is a text book example of the statement, "A sum of it's parts".

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
    slack and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. lostintime

lostintime
    from minnesota

Neat car...........the only thing I would change is the tires. The fronts are too big and the rears are too small!
    Just the right stance.........

30. Yo! Bitch!

28A likes this.