Register now to get rid of these ads!

break in 265 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hostaking, Apr 6, 2007.

1. hostaking

hostaking

I have a newly rebuilt 1955 chevy 265 , bored to 283 many years ago. It has 283 pistons, 1956 heads(306) hardened seats, 097 corvette camshaft with the slot in the rear journal, Isky edm .024 solid lifters, 600 afb carb, and no intake. Also, ramshorn manifolds. This engine will be in my 1955 chevy 2dr with 3sp od and 370 rear end. Any suggestions about an intake manifold? What weight oil should I use to break it in. I'll use Isky cam paste and gm eos . What might this unit run in the quarter? Any other ideas from hamsters?

2. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I use a straight weight 30 ... non detergent oil ...
    Pre oil the engine good ... change the oil after 200 to 300 miles

As a side note ... I ran a 600 Edelbrock ... on my sixty over 283 and and I found that a 500 Edelbrock ran better ... and got better mileage. I had two different new 600's on it ... one was a electric choke and the other a hand choke. The 500 was a good bit better ... :rolleyes: stock out of the box ...

3. john56h

john56h

I also would use straight 30 for break-in, but I'd change the oil and filter after initial starting and break-in, then change it again within a few hundred miles. The idea is to flush out contaminants that may have accumulated inside the engine during assembly.

A pre-lube device can be made ouit of an old distributor. Remove the cam gear and cut down the shaft so you can spin in with an electric drill while it is in place. Just before firing the engine up, put the pre-lube device in the distributor hole, run the drill to build pressure, crank the engine a little bit, run the drill again....then quickly remove the pre-lube device and install the actual distributor and fire the engine up.

Good luck.

4. 265glide

265glide

GREAT!!! Another alive 265,and I thought I was the only one "lost in the past".Will be interesting to see manifold selection.The only thing I am aware of that would come close to the port size is early "vette"2x4 manifold.:D
    glider.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

I watched a 265 4 barrel 55 Chevy set the SS/N national record at Acton Mt @ 11.26 & 118 MPH with a stock WCFB 4 barrel on it. This was by no means your run of the mill 265 but the carb still has to be stock. Its stick shift car that leaves at 8500 RPM with the wheels in the air about 3 feet. My point is dont sell the stock carb short. To hear it run if someone told you it had a Nascar 355 in it you would have no trouble believing it