Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Brass shift shaft

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40Ford!!, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Guys (or gals), I want to use a piece of solid brass rod, 12" long X 3/4" dia. for my shift shaft. I was wondering if I am ok tapping it to 14mm (approx 1/2" dia) on one end about 2" deep and threading it to my T5. I will have 1/8" of material left on the wall. Is this enough? I have a brass gauge pod so I want to bring it out by using the brass rod. Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  2. Beau

Beau

I took a stock S10 shifter and had a blacksmith heat and taper the tiny stub WAY out, then I bent it to where I wanted it. I'm gonna use an antique brass door knob. Only photo I could dig up quick.

[​IMG]

3. Beau

Beau

4. Cool video. Hum.....that may work. I have a few blacksmiths in the area. Did you take yours apart like he did?

5. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

In theory , I believe that's plenty of wall. If you aren't banging the gears you should be fine.

6. gatz

gatz

How about finding a shaft that has the taper & bends already in it, then brass plate it.
    Polish and clear-coat

7. Well I found a piece of brass 3/4 X 12" on ebay for $16.00 free shipping. Not sure brass plating would be any less and I have access to a lathe so with a little effort I think I can knock it out. My concern was how solid it would be after tapping out to fit the existing shaft. One HAMBer said 1/8" wall should be enough. Guess I will try and find out.

8. gatz

gatz

should be sufficient