Register now to get rid of these ads!

braking system on 54 chevy HELP

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by bigmaczuniga, Dec 28, 2018.

1. bigmaczuniga

bigmaczuniga

Hello gentlemen, i'm new to the site and really could use some help, before i go out in my garage, start my car and asphyxiate myself. first let me tell you, i've been a motorcycle and car guy for years. and have done all my own work, ever since i took apart my first mini bike (mini taco) and put it back together, because i wanted to paint it red. done plenty of motor swaps, tranny swaps, and brakes on all types of cars/trucks. this one has got me baffled................

I purchased a 54 belair from a neighbor, the car had been in his garage for for 22 years. my first question was, does it run? "it did when i parked it" no problem i said. gave him the cash, he and some of the kids on the street helped push it two house's away into my garage. got to work on it right away. after three days and a few hundred bucks, it fired and ran like a champ. took it about nine miles to a friends house and the back left brake locked up. realizing i completely ignored that part of the car, i went through the brakes and replaced the drums, shoes, springs and wheel cylinders. also bearings and seals. after nine more miles, the same thing happened. back to garage, took all apart and put back together, drove about thirty miles, went to pull into my driveway , again, this time both left front and left rear. took apart ,put back together again, after about thirty miles they froze up again. here are two symptoms #1- after cooling down for about a hour, it will roll again #2- the pedal goes almost to floor after sitting all night, then gets more and more pedal the more you drive and right before it locks up, there is too much pedal, no play at all. has anyone ever ran into this ??? PLEASE HELP ME !!!

2. Good start on your Intro., but you should put your tech. questions on the main forum for better
    response.