Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brake/Suspension help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Atomic Punk, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Ok, so i've got a 31 Roadster to be built on the stock A frame. I want to ditch the mechanical brakes and upgrade to juice brakes.
    I've got F1 or F100,not sure with Buick finned drums so I think the fronts are ok but what do I need for the rear?
    I have a rearend from a 39 but I hear I need a 40+ or can I use the 39 and just get brakes that'll work? Is the 39 any better then the original banjo that came with the 31?
    To get the rear low i've been told to get a buggy spring(never saw one advertised so not sure where to get one) a T spring or maybe an aftermarket.Which do you think is the best route?

For the front i'm looking to get an aftermarket reversed eye spring and 4" dropped axel with the aboved mentioned F1/100 brakes.

For the motor I am undecided between an Olds Rocket 88(1st choice but can't seem to locate one for sale) a SBC(i've been told this is the easiest and most cost effective route) or build up the Banger(told it's only a good choice if I only want to buzz around local and not do hwy driving plus pretty costly to hotrod).
    I'd like to go with an automatic trans but not sure wich one to choose with the Olds. SBC would be a turbo 350 and if I kept the banger i'd probably just keep the stock stick.

I've got 16" 5/5.5 steelies so i'm not sure if they will match up with the later rears.

Sorry if these questions sound stupid to the more seasoned hotrod vets but i'm not a mechanical guy so please bear with me.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Andy

Andy

The search function is your friend. Use it. Buy Vern Tardel's book "How to build a taditional hot rod" It has some info. Do not read the magazines.
    The F-1/F-100 brakes are 11" and the Buicks are 12" so that won't work. Just buy some drums and use the truck brakes stock. There is a tech on how to put the hubs on later spindles. You need later spindles. Get a Maverick rear if you go late model engine. The A rear is OK with a flathead.
    A buggy spring is slang for a stock type ford cross spring like on both ends of the A

3. Just ordered the book from amazon,thanks.

4. rodknocker

rodknocker

Aaron's car has come alive!!!! and its posted 8x already ahhhhhh....