Register now to get rid of these ads!

brake problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mack57, Apr 17, 2013.

1. dadseh

dadseh

Quick way to check if the booster output pushrod is holding MC on is to get a paperclip and probe into the compensating holes. Feels solid metal...ok. feels spongy then the piston cup is covering the hole. Need shim between booster and MC.

2. mack57

mack57

Thanks Dadesh!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. mack57

mack57

Sorry Dadseh... Thank you!

4. hotrodhomework

hotrodhomework

Had this happen once it was m/c by-passing inside.I took back to the parts counter got new one off the shelf.Put it on samething.Parts guy order one.I put it on ,samething.Got the tech guys on the case.They found that all of the m/c with mfg dates of three week apart in that year had the wrong parts in them.I am not thinking this is your problem ,but the smallest things can cause the biggest headaches.

5. mack57

mack57

Ok,
    Cracked the dr side rear bleeder & had fluid, went back & tried pass side rear. Got fluid.
    What happened I don't know.... But, should be straight bleeding from here. Used the paperclip 1st & booster rod was ok.

6. mack57

mack57

BRAKES!!! We have brakes!!! Thank you to all!!!

Mack

7. nexxussian

nexxussian

What finally got it?

8. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

It sounds to me like you just had a butt-ton of air in the system. We get this problem a lot at work. We have the luxury of having what I call "R2D2"...a big pressurized pot full of brake fluid and adapters to fit just about any MC out there. Hook this thing up, turn it on and open all 4 bleeders at the same time. I recently did a power brake conversion on a 63 impala, all new hoses, lines, and wheel cyls...it literally took about 30 minutes with the pressure bleeder on full blast to get all of the air out. Also, had an OT Nova come in with two of the same front calipers, so one was upside down...customer couldnt figure out why the pedal was so shitty. Spotted it right away, and in an effort to save him some money we just pulled the caliper off of the bracket, held it so the bleeder was facing up and used a handheld vacuum bleeder. Got the air out and the pedal was rock solid after that.

In the future, when replacing WCs or calipers, get yourself a set of small line locks at harbor freight and use them to clamp off the rubber brake hoses...makes bleeding soooo much easier when you are done.

9. Good tip hendo0601. I'll remwmber that.

Mack
    Glad you have brakes. Still a lot of good driving weather left.

10. mack57

mack57

Hendo, awesome tip!! I sure will remember that!!! It seems it was just getting the air out....

Thank you All!!!

11. hotrodhomework

hotrodhomework

Glad you got air out and the brakes are working.

12. mack57

mack57

Thank you HotRodHomework for your help!!

13. stimpy

stimpy

had that happen to me when I worked at a shop when I was in college , mechanic not paying attention just looked at part numbers on box and placed them on the sides as they said ( supply companys whole stock for the d-52 style calipers were packaged backwards ) and didn't visually varify . being a apprentice I had to do the change out and noticed it . mechanic raised some hell thinking I was a idiot but realized I caught the mistake , spent a day in our stock room changing parts and boxes and double checking others for the same mistake . one of our "MKIA" wrenches spent a whole day trying to bleed a system out before it was pointed out to him what the problems was .

Glad its done Mack , now go cruising

14. mack57

mack57

On my way Stimpy!!! Loving it!! Thank You!

Mack