Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Brake problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ratrod0, Aug 6, 2018.

1. ratrod0

ratrod0

I just got a truck in a trade, it has power brakes, dic on front, drums on back. Before I start taking everything apart I have some questions. Does the big line go to the fornt or back, and where on the master cylinder. Do I need both of the vacuum things on the canister. 20180729_194538.jpg 20180806_190450.jpg 20180806_190433.jpg 20180805_192710.jpg

Truck64 likes this.
  2. ratrod0

ratrod0

No brake experts, tell me what I have, and any pointers would help

3. The extra thing on the vacuum line looks like a backfire check valve. Most people don't use them.

4. The round black valve into the booster is a vacuum check valve, you need it
    The round thing inline is a charcoal canister to keep fuel vapour out of the booster,
    The big reservoir on the master is for disc
    Small reservoir for your drums
    Size of the lines doesn’t really matter as long as it’s plumbed right

Johnny Gee and Unkl Ian like this.

5. ratrod0

ratrod0

Thanks I will check the lines tomorrow after work. And take the online filter out.

6. Before you start tossing parts, what "problems" are you having ?

7. raven

raven

The reservoir closest to the firewall is for your front brakes, the other for the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

The larger reservoir no matter if it's in the front or the rear on a disc drum master is always for the front disc.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  9. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Usually the larger reservoir and the larger brake line goes to the disk brakes. As the pads wear, the pistons move further out so there is more fluid behind them so the fluid level goes down with wear. Drum brakes have springs that return the pistons so the fluid level doesn't go down unless there is a leak. The master cylinder pictured looks like the one on my 90 Chevy pickup. When it started leaking, I had to put 3 new ones on before I got one that worked.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  10. What issues are you having

11. ratrod0

ratrod0

There is no leaks showing on the wheels, but when I mash the paddle it acts good then slowly goes down

12. You need to start be pulling the wheels and drums look for leaks
    Look at your lines etc.
    Sounds like a bad master, a leak ,or air in the system.

What condition is the fluid in? Clear/ black dirty.
    If you find no leaks, flush the system and put in new dot 3 or dot 4 fluid and bleed it and check it before replacing anything.

Do one thing at a time so if you fix it, you know what fixed it, and on the flip side if what you did makes it worse you know what to correct.

13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

A pedal that slowly fades under your foot is usually a bad master cylinder. if you find no leaks the master is bad

Unkl Ian likes this.
  14. Yep... bypassing internally. Quite insidious if you've never ran across one before.