Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Brake Problems, need some opinions.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59Bisquik, Feb 27, 2016.

1. I replaced the brakes and lines on my 55 C1B and installed a rebuilt master cylinder. Once I got her all filled up and started to bleed the brakes, I would get some air out, but the bottle that I was purging into never seemed to fill up. I grabbed my stock master cylinder and put it on, only to find out it leaked out of the cylinder bore. SO, I took the rebuilt one and put it on the vice to try and bench bleed it. Only to find it didnt pump out any fluid. I then took it apart to find that the valve assembly was in backwards. I put it together correctly and it is now pumping, but leaking from the bore also. I must of damaged the rear seal installing it.

Opinions needed...

1) Should I purchase another one from one of the sponsors and give it a shot?

2) I have a dual master cylinder setup from a Jeep that I was going to install when I went to discs up front, some time down the road. Should I grab an adjustable proportioning valve and toss that on?

3) I would prefer not to get M/C rebuild kit, because I already screwed one up.

I need to have her on the road by April for Viva... It seems that everything is one step forward and two steps back. Sorry guys, but getting frustrated and running short on time. What would you guys do

2. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Tough call here. I went through 4 master cylinders on a newer pickup before I got one that worked. Apparently they don't test them before they ship them.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, tough one. but, I would just get another stock M/C. if there is a problem with it stop and call supplier and go from there. the disc brake M/C set up may require special bore, etc that would not provide proper stopping with stock system. "nothing is cheap, or easy - except me, and I am not worth a plugged nickel"