Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brake pedal -- where should it stop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MyOldBuick, Aug 30, 2006.

1. MyOldBuick

MyOldBuick

I've got things adjusted so it's firm right about at the carpet on the brakes. Does that sound right? I don't have the residual pressure valve (needed on drums) in yet on the front . . . might this make a difference? I've pulled my back again jumping up/down bleeding the front brakes . . . oh what pain. :(

I've changed the pedal ratio also, I moved the pivot point from 2 inches down to 2.5 inches down. The overall length (top pivot to pedal pad) is 12 inches. Figuring it, that took it from 1:6 to 1:4.8 . . . I think I did that right? I wasn't moving enough fluid with the stock pivot location.
    Thoughts? Suggestions??? Pain pills?

2. MyOldBuick

MyOldBuick

3. MyOldBuick

MyOldBuick

UPDATE: Boy, this answering your own post stuff sucks . . . but I guess maybe I'm out here in uncharted waters. Who knows?!

Anyway, I couldn't wait any longer . . . back is going to have me out of commission for a while (at least till it heals good enough for me to do something stupid again while waiting for it to fully heal). I decided to take it out of the garage and see how the front brakes (disc master on drum brakes) would respond. Pedal goes 3/4 of the travel before brakes come on. I can modulate them and I can lock front brakes . . . at least at a speed that I attain while staring at the garage and house if the thing doesn't stop (I have a large driveway.) I'm thinking I would like a bit more pedal and modulation capability, but at least the car stops . . . which it didn't do before I started this fiasco. I'm thinking with 10 lb residual valve it will give me better pressure (holding it) on front brakes (again -- drum). The part should be in today. I've still got a stuck bleeder on the left rear . . . so I'll probably have to wait to do it. Ugh. This getting old is crap . . . but I guess it beats the alternative. :(

Attached Files:

4. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

5. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

somethings not matching up. what is the bore of the m/c you're using? 1" seems to work for maual disc, 1 1/8 for power assist. at 1:6 you ahould be fine, you're not moving enough fluid or there is air in there.
    edit:and i have a spare 2 lb res valve you can use if you want it.

6. MyOldBuick

MyOldBuick

I don't know exactly how far up the pedal should be . . . I've asked for height above floorboard from but still haven't figured that out. It could be that my adapter bracket isn't long enough.

I appreciate the offer on the residual valve -- that's too low for what I need though. I've read to use 10 lbs on drum brakes because of the springs. 2 lb units are for if the master cylinder is lower than the front disc brakes.

7. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

i'll have a 10 lb one avaialble soon. if you bought wilwood ones, try mine first. you may be able to get your money back. I personally dont need them.