Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brake pedal ratio

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Oldbill51, Jul 6, 2012.

1. And heres the logic. It all has to do with ratio's. Next time you jack up your car, grab the handle of the jack on the end and lift the car. This is what his pedal originally had. Now shorten the distance on the handle by half. This makes the ratio alot harder to push but would take less distance to do the same amount of work. Yet the pressure on the actual hydraulics is the same. So how would you blw the diaphram out when hydraulics is hydraulics. I call BS. Like I said, put it into simple terms and practice on a jack. I't's the same concept. Where ever you put your hand will change the pedal feel but the pressure at the the brakes will be the same to stop. Unless you are skidding to the point of no control anyway. Every car you get into seems to feel a bit different for braking and you get use to that vehicle real quick to how much pressure you need to stop. I have been into cars that you just tap and stop fast and others you need two feet to stop hard. Yet you get the feel in all cases real fast.
    You guys are again over thinking the whole braking concept. We better get rid of all power brake boosters as they actually stop easier and you will skid every time you stop!!!!!!! Look out!!!!! LOL!!

2. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Not sure why your'e so riled up or what the whole blowing diaphragms out thing is about but here's my take on the leverage deal. The pedal currently, if it was connected directly to the master is probably at or about 6:1. The rocker it's connected to is what's referred to as a "second class" or "class 3 lever". It's hard to calculate exactly by the pic, but is probably almost doubling the force required to apply the brakes. I drove a T bucket once with about a 4:1 ratio and it took some muscle to stop, even though it only weighed about 1800#s.

3. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

Great job chief. I will have to remember that "fix"!!!!! NOW, go make a straight, more direct pushrod to the M/C

[​IMG]

4. I'm not riled up about blowing any diaphram. My point being is that the only thing that changes when you change the length of the fulcrum is pedal effort. Nothing more and nothing less.

5. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

What would happen if he mounted the link from the pedal to one side of that pivot at that lower location and the link to the master on the other side at the lower location (where it is now actually)?
    Using some REAL bolts of course...and assuming the pivot is up to the task. (can't see the welding and plate thickness from here!)