Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brake parts interchange for 9 inch Ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crusty Nut, May 4, 2009.

1. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

I've got a '59 Ranchero housing/axles in my Tudor. I don't have drums and I need to get some. The shoes measure 11" X 2". My parts guy shows no listing for these and neither of us is too sure on what will interchange.
    There must be something that is available and will work, do you know what it is?
    Thanks, Crusty

2. squirrel

squirrel

Nothing modern fits that I know of. The drum is pretty flat, later ones have more offset at the axle.

3. 57-59 drums are available, but expensive.

Common Ford 11" shoe sizes are 1 3/4" and 2 1/4".

If you have 1 3/4" shoes you can get 62 Ford F-100 drums and drill them to 4 1/2" so as to fit the Ranchero 4 1/2" Ford pattern.

Lots cheaper to drill them and it can be easily done at home.

4. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

Thanks for the info. I will double check the shoe size I have.
    So, if a guy wanted to buy some 57-59 drums where are they available? I've been looking and not finding.

5. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Can always go disc.

6. I got mine at a 'real' parts store, think it used to be a Carquest, but NAPA stores may be able to get them although I didn't see any on a NAPA search.

Fwiw, if you got the rear axle from a V8 Ranchero - with 352 FE engine - you probably have 31 spline axles.

7. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

Thanks for the help C9, but I only shop at "real" parts houses when I need real parts. We have a real good one in town, it even has built in stools at the counter. I'll keep digging, but it's a full fendered car and I like disk brakes too, so we'll see.
    I don't know what engine the Rancho had, but it has 28 spline axles in it.

8. 4woody

4woody

I looked at reuilding the brakes on my Ford 8" and it was gonna be as much $ as to swap to discs. The swap is the same as on the small bearing 9". Just posted a tech on it, search by my name.

Cheap & easy swap.

9. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

i just picked up a set of new 11inch by 2 and a quarter drums drums this weekend hoping they would work on a rearend i just picked up , my backing plates are 10 inch though ! ford used to have what was known as police special brakes in 1959 which are the 11 inch by 2 and a quarter ! so cal speed shop caries the whole kit maybee you could contact them and purchase just drums ! i dont think i'll have luck finding backing plates for mine since its a small bearing housing so if you want p.m me and i'll pass em on to you !

10. Before they started making the 57-9 Wagon and Ranchero drums, You could get backing plates and drums from a mid-60's wagon and swap it all in. But you have to use everything from the donor, not just the drums.

I think Mac's sells them new.

11. old lady's mad

old lady's mad

not sure what size shoe they were , but about an 80 ford f100 came either way . small or big bolt patterns . look those up and see . but you could go to your local bone yard and buy an explorer rear and get disk brakes on it . i got a few from the pull your own place and paid 185 with springs . 120 without .

12. papastoyss

papastoyss

I just put together an 80 truck 9" for my 40 coupe project. I had Moser make axles w/a 4.5 bc & the 80-90 cop package drums worked. The truck brakes were 11x2 1/4.

13. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

NO 31 spline axles in 57 to 59 :) The 31 spline axles did not come out until the 60's ... 62/63 or so. :D

On my 57 Ford housing ... I used the backing plates, drums and all from a 65 Ford wagon. They also have the self adjusters on them ... which is nice. :eek: