Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brake Line dos and don'ts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodTruck, Jan 28, 2012.

1. I'm pretty sure it's copper, cuz it have the special copper color that's so easy to recognize! Look in my photos of the panel truck! Isn't the ones you're talking about much lighter in the tone?

2. Whats everyones take on Dot 5 Dot 3?

3. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

All good stuff right there. Dang, why didn't I think about the coat hanger deal.

4. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I use Dot 4 in everything i build, never had a problem. I'm not sure about the synthetic fluid, had problems with it in the past.

5. Yep. Dot 4 in everything I build also. I prefer Castrol's GT LMA (low moisture absorption) the Dot 4 has a slightly higher boiling point than Dot 3, but they are compatible, so no worries if you have to use some Dot 3 in a pinch.

Dot 4 also won't eat natural rubber; not much of a problem with American stuff, but common in British and German brake systems, many of which find their way into my garage.

I've heard too many bad things about Dot 5 in automotive applications to try it, whereas the only real problem with Dot 3 or Dot 4 is it'll strip paint. Well, that just makes it easy to find the leak!!

6. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

TIP....I have a set of Imperial benders that work great, But a tip for bending real tight bends not far from open ends.. I have found that a spiral housing from a choke cable or likewise cable used as a inside mendel will stop kinking....

7. ok boys...
    Your brake line dragged on the floor and got a little dirt ...how do you properly clean it through?

8. Brake spray.

You can also flush the lines with rubbing alcohol before you run the brake fluid in for the first time. If you're concerned about getting chunks of stuff in a wheel cylinder or something, undo the line and run the alcohol through, then bolt it back up.

9. tractormanbill

tractormanbill

My first car was a 36 Ford coupe that I converted to hydraulic brakes. Got my license in Texas at 12. At the age of 12 or 13 and didn't know the problem of using copper lines. I used only one from the back to master cylinder and it blew out when I clomped down while hotrodding around. Didn't wreck but scared the Hell out of me.
    Tractorman Bill

10. oakmckinley

oakmckinley

This may be a noob question, but will this steel line thats green on the outside work?
    Also as far as using plastic tubing, even I know better...I may be a noob, but I am not a boob.
    Thinning the herd I guess. :D

[​IMG]

11. killerbunny

killerbunny
    from serbia

I haven't heard about that problems in the past but I know I use Dot 4 also and have no problems at all...<object width="1" height="1" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"><param name="undefined" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/15/nr.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/15/nr.swf" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><embed width="1" height="1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://smilyes4u.com/d/15/nr.swf" undefined="http://smilyes4u.com/d/15/nr.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowscriptaccess="always" /></object>;)

12. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the "Kunifer" is an alloy of Copper (Cu changed to Ku), Nickel (Ni), and Iron (Fe) or perhaps "ferous". I think this was developed in Europe and that is why the use "copper" lines when in fact it is probably Kunifer lines.

Comments?

13. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

This is a helluva good idea, I bend all my tubing by hand, always used the box end of a wrench on the inverted nut, never once thought of this, helluva good idea.

14. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Words of wisdom here.

15. Buzznut

Buzznut

You can bend 3/16" by hand while you are routing it, so it's much easier to work with than 1/4".

Also, it's better to make a line too long and add a few loops or bends to it to shorten it than it is to make it just long enough or slightly too short and find out it doesn't fit AFTER you've begun routing it.

16. Buzznut

Buzznut

That's the same stuff I used....it's perfectly adequate.