Register now to get rid of these ads!

brake lights and blinkers on 55 pontiac

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bellyjello, Jul 4, 2005.

1. bellyjello

bellyjello

Well I got the 55 pontiac inspected Friday. It passed. Now I lost the brake lights and blinkers. The tail lights and head lights work. Are the brake lights and blinkers tied into the flasher under the the dasher. The flasher reads that a fuse must be in line with it. Is there a fuse other than the one in the fuse box. I'm trying to get the car ready for the Columbus good guys next weekend. I can't take without brake lights... I checked all of the fuses in the fuse box. The rear taillights fuse was blown. If I could figure this electrical out I would be Dangerous.... Any Ideas Thank...

2. squirrel

squirrel

The brake lights probably get power from somewhere other than the tail light fuse.

But the brake lights and rear turn signals use the same wiring from the turn signal switch to the lights, and the same light bulbs. So the turn signal switch itself or the wiring to it is a good place to look for trouble.

Check the fuse to the flasher unit, that could make the blinkers not work.

Use a test light, look for power getting to the brake light switch, if it doesn't then poke around on the fuse block looking for power at each fuse. Often there will be corrosion on the fuse block terminals, so the power won't get from the wiring to the fuse. Put the test light on the ends of the fuses as well as the terminals they're plugged into. Sometimes just wiggling the fuses will make things work again for a while, if so you need to pull out the fuses and do some sanding and cleaning.

3. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

Always,always,ALWAYS,:) use a test light or a voltmeter to check fuses,especially the glass ones.Many a good man has gone nuts:eek: chasing a problem with a visual inspection of glass fuses.A lot of the time a glass fuse will disconnect in the metal end where it cannot be seen,but is easily detected with a light or meter.

Brake and turns share a common fuse for power supply with 2 leads out.1 to the brake light switch and the other to the turn signal switch.

Brake and turn should have at minimum a 25 amp fuse.

Good luck and happy hunting,T.OUT

4. If I remember correctly,if the instrument light fuse blows you won't have any brake lights.Happens in my Safari from time to time.I don't remember for sure but I think it's the second or third fuse from the top on the left side of the panel.If you need a schematic of it,I'll see if I can scan one and e-mail it to you.

5. squirrel

squirrel

most cars that I've worked on use different power sources for the turn signals and brake lights...turn signals get switched (ignition) power, brake lights get full time (battery) power.