Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Brake light pressure switch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 6, 2020.

1. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Its too easy to hook up a mechanical switch I really don't get why people run the pressure switch style especially after reading the problems and life span of most of them.

Go to a junk yard and pull a switch off of a 1962 Savoy and chances are it stills works just as it did day one.

Driver50x, Tman and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  2. RmK57

RmK57

I convert all my older vehicles to this style. Never had one fail.

lrs-13480b_569933dc.jpg

cfmvw and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. I like to use the pressure switch mainly because it's simple and most importantly traditional, like copper/brass radiators & mechanical fans. :D HRP

4. cfmvw

cfmvw

Ironically enough, I adapted a mechanical brake light switch to my 1960 VW. The old German pressure switches lasted for years, but the new ones (probably made in China) never went more than a couple of months.

5. fortynut

fortynut

I hate to burst anyone's bubble but any decent Hot-Rodder who's been around the block and kicked a few tires knows mechanical switches are 'traditional'. Why? Because some of the older ones you could pry apart and repair yourself in a pinch; and, I can't count the number of time I've replaced points on the side of the road and gapped them with a match book cover, or any number of things it takes to get back to where you 'do the job right'. The 'mechanical' part of a mechanical switch somehow seems to speak the same language we do, and 'pressure' sounds like something Madison Avenue created to sell aspirins --- same as brake pressure switches were.

6. 37gas

37gas

I buy new old stock off ebay still in old box. There are always some there, they last for ever. pre china

7. Marcosmadness

Marcosmadness
    from California

I was burning out these switches on an off topic, but vintage, race car on a regular basis. I finally "solved" the problem by switching to LED bulbs in the tail lights. The LED bulbs pull very little amperage compared to the incandescent bulbs that originally came on these cars. The LED bulbs are "plug and play" with no alternations needed to the tail light socket or to the electrical system. Most, if not all, auto related bulbs are now available in LEDs. I switched to the LEDs a couple of years ago an haven't had a problem with the tail light bulbs or the hydraulic switch since I switched to LEDs.

flatford39 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. '34 Terraplane

'34 Terraplane
    from Western PA

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    RICH B likes this.
  9. For most American-made vehicles built between the early 1930s and the late 1960s, the brake lights were activated by a hydraulic stoplight switch mounted either directly to the brake master cylinder or to one of the steel brake lines near the master cylinder.

deathrowdave, 3W JOHN and ramblin dan like this.
  10. This is what I do as well !

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. Yeah, but for the last 20 to 30 years we have known the new hydro switches are prone to fail so we use a 60s mechanical switch.

HOTRODPRIMER and 2OLD2FAST like this.
  12. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Many 50's up gm & Mopar used mechanical switches as well ... Some lever arm , some plunger style ...

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. clem

clem

I thought that the first photo was an attempt at humour !
    I couldn’t believe anyone would do that.
    I also cannot believe that your final solution is held on by cable ties. (Mechanical switch- not pressure switch). In time it will probably/possibly move and cause failure of the brake lights.
    I now also have a clearer understanding of why our insurance premiums are so high.........

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. clem

clem

Blue One and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  15. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Been driving since 1961. So far, I've had one hydraulic switch fail ('57 Dodge - stuck in the on position & gave me a dead battery) and quite a few mechanical switches seize. I have coffee cans full of used ones just in case.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. primed34

primed34

I've had good luck with '68 VW switches. Haven't bought one in a while. They may be junk now.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

At least you've got Brenda to help you do a pre-cruise inspection of the brake lights and turn signals. Or you can always back up close to a white building at night and look for the reflection in the mirror.
    Just switching to a mechanical switch is no guarantee either. I've had a few of them apart in the last couple of years and they are different than the original design too. Good luck.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Yes and the cars of those years also had single piston master cylinders which I also changed after that failed one day and my car became a runaway locomotive for a few heart stopping seconds. Luckily on a deserted country road.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

I love botching stuff together.. 2E0C47C3-913C-4E9F-8C7D-F48807C8C44F.jpeg

20. The do suck, I've read about many problems with them over the last 10 or so years. Converting the '41 p/u since I have it apart. I use the same light switch that my '56 Chevy Panel has stock, but I use either NOS delco or OLD NORS (like 90s or older Standard Ignition)........read made in the USA.

My old '54 F100 was converted also. If you look up Cole Hersee they make 2 types of switches with arms, one left and one right.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

They’re not similar they’re identical.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Nice. The only problem I see with that set up is you better hope both thermostats in those housings open at the same time.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Careful , somebody will believe you :rolleyes:

24. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I have had problems with both switches, they quit working and I replace them.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

One quit on me after about 6 years,replaced it with a Painless #80171 switch.
    I also carry a spare but problem free so far.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. I'm probably going to stick with what I got and replace the pressure switch with a Harley- Davidson piece, I already have a HD horn on the car. HRP

deathrowdave and 3W JOHN like this.
  27. clem

clem

yes, I know that.
    Hence the ‘..........’
    ........ I guess some things get lost in translation.......

28. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are break light switches....check your spelling

Hnstray and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  29. They are going to break the brake light bulbs?

Ben

30. Roothawg

Roothawg

I am done with the hydraulic switches. I have changed 3 in the last 2 years. I am switching the Produce Truck over to a mechanical arm. It came in yesterday.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.