Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical BRAKE HOSES

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frames, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Frames

Frames

Someone on the HAMB bought out a supply of brake hoses and had an ad on the HAMB. He fixed me up with long hoses that I needed on an old time race car. Now I am looking for more hoses and I did not save his contact information. HELP please if you know that HAMB member. THANKS.

2. I did a quick search and didn't see anything pertaining to brake hoses.

Just a thought but have you looked through your conversations where you might have contacted the member. HRP

3. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

A guy a built a car for had some made at his local Napa , first I ever heard of something like that, I haven’t needed that service but maybe there are other stores that do that also, he was in Milwaukee

4. jazz1

jazz1

If you have the fittings hydraulic supply shop can crimp the hose on, they may even have the fittings

5. Frames

Frames

THANKS guys. Some good suggestions.

6. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Many, if not most hydraulic supply shops will not build automotive brake hoses because of the very high pressure test requirements of the DOT.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Right you are, @V8 Bob! BUT:
    The braided stainless hoses found their way onto the 'street rod menus', regardless of DOT 'approval'. Sellers claimed A/N fittings and related high pressure hose made to "Airplane Specs" exceeded all PSI specs laid down by DOT.
    I recall an idiot at my friend's shop one night, '41 Ford pickup, SBC, just bought from someone, 'unfinished project'. Guy complained of a 'spongy brake'...
    Johnny was bleeding the rears, the guy was pumping..."Still soft!" he kept saying. I was near the front, saw something moving. Thought it was a big rat or a snake behind the front brake...took a closer look...It was the left front brake hose, looked like a snake that had swallowed something...Guy would pump, and the hose would swell like a balloon!
    "Stop!, said I...and then brake fluid happened. BIG puddle, just missed me.
    Jerk had gotten the truck home, and made up a 5/16" fuel hose and clamps for a brake hose...
    Johnny laughed, I didn't.

8. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

Earls and Aeroquip are viable options.
    I've had more mass produced swedged DOT approved hoses fail on me than anything homemade.
    Yeah, the DOT test is a whip test, basically it is what it sounds like, just under pressure. And the braided hoses should be coated to prevent dirt/dust intrusion that would abrade the Teflon hose and cause a leak. It's why lots of SS lines in the 90's were not DOT approved, most didn't have a simple coating on the SS braids.
    As long as you don't tell them it is for brakes they will probably make them. Local ORLY and NAPA stores make hoses, mostly steering/forklift stuff.