Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brake help PLEASE.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowburban, Mar 26, 2008.

1. lowburban

lowburban

Just got my 12 bolt truck rear end narrowed and back together under my 63 chevy truck. Decided to go with rear discs. Gonna use the "pressurize the calipers with air to hold em to the rotors and build my brackets from there " method. I'm confident in my ability to do so but I'm wondering what rotors to use. The bolt pattern is 5x5. Thinking ones from a caprice or impala (96 body style). Any body done this swap? Does anybody that sell just the brackets? Still need to know what rotors thought.

2. phat rat

phat rat

If you have a yard near you with some early 80's Rivs, Eldos etc. look at the rear caliper brkts on them. That's what I used on my 10 bolt

3. Cop cars are another place to look for rear disc brakes.

ECI (engineered components inc) is a good place to check for disc brake conversion kits.

4. lowburban

lowburban

I looked at the conversion kits and they mostly all use stock gm calipers and stuff and I have a buddy that has a wholesale parts house so I can get the components alot cheaper than they sell em. Since I'm on a budget like most I'd like to utilize that if possible. I'd sure be willing to buy a nice set of brackets to do the conversion but just trying to get a line on what parts I'm lookin at. A caprice cop car might be a good idea since its the same bolt pattern. Anybody else. Thanks

5. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Why don't you just use ECIs brackets and suppply the components since you get a good deal? I don't see the problem. Maybe you'll come up with a better system than they did, but they've sold a lot of kits and had time to hear results, I wouldn't try to re-invent the wheel, JMHO.

I'm biased, I just bought their disc brake kit for my shoebox ford, it's nice stuff and complete but a little pricey. Then again I'm cheap :D

6. destructo

destructo

Give Mark @ Scarebird.com a hollar, He's an Alliance Vendor here. goes by scarebird. He may have what you need.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Several outfits sell the brackets. I had some bookmarked untill my laptop crashed.

Here is one of them http://tsmmfg.com/

It seems like the 4X4 boys are more into rear disk conversions than the 2wd brigade at the moment.
    Most use the Cad eldo style caliper mentioned above. I'd look at the big GM car rear rotors like these= http://www.autozone.com/N,14400855//shopping/partTypeResultSet.htm
    The lazy way to see if parts exist.