Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brake Fluid on Shoes, Problem???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kensey, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

OK, basic question.

While replacing my wheel cylinders I dripped brake fluid on my brake shoes. Is this a problem? Do I need to replace the shoes?

46 Ford brakes if that's necessary.

thanks,
    Kensey

2. hickatron

hickatron

If you did not totally soak them you should be fine. Use some brake cleaner and spray them off good.

3. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

The problem is, the linings are porous. They can be cleaned with Brake Kleen or similar product. Unfortunately it's not possible to get every bit of contamination out of the lining. Sometimes you can get by with cleaning, other times not. Even if they are ok at first they could start acting up down the road. This a safety related item. All things considered, replacement is the best option.

4. Ole don

Ole don

If its a light car, carb cleaner, dry in the sun, then hit them with sandpaper. If they want to grab, it didn't work.

5. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Just wondering..... how is a compromised brake less of a problem on a light car than it is on a heavier one? I guess it depends on which of those cars you are driving.:D

6. dripped a little? or are they soaked in fluid. if you just dripped a little, the brake clean will work fine. if they are soaked just replace them.

7. dtracy

dtracy

In the past I have taked the shoes and boiled them in soap and water for a while to float any contaminates out. Be carefull how much and what kind of soap you use, and boil them slowly. I used steam cleaner soap. It worked ok for me.

Dave.

8. dtracy

dtracy

Correction: That should read "I have taken", sorry.

P.S. You might want to do this outside as the soap may give off some aroma that is unpleasent to the female in the house as well as a boil over will require a complete cleaning of the kitchen stove no matter how minor the spill. Just saying...

9. Just clean them real good with a quality brand of brake cleaner, like CRC Brakleen, and a good clean rag and be done with them. They'll be just fine!

Much ado 'bout nothin'!

10. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I'd give cleaning a try,..The sooner, the better. Be prepared to replace, should the residual stuff come to the surface.........

4TTRUK

11. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

They weren't soaking in fluid. One of my new wheel cylinders was bad and barfed on the pads. I wiped them off right away though. I'll clean and hope for the best.

thanks!

12. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Last week did the whole suspension,axle bearings,brakes on my Nomad.
    Thought I would replace wheel cylinders,too.Bleeding brakes,one kept popping a rubber off,pissing fluid out of drum.Pushed it on 3 times,it pushed off 3 times.Took it off,put old one on,no problem.
    Sprayed the shoes with brake cleaner,hit them with the air hose.
    Next day drove to Burlington,VT for the NSRA show.Little over 100 miles each way.Brakes were a little iffy on way up,pulled it into the repair shop there and adjusted all 4.Great pedal on way home and stops good with no pull.