Register now to get rid of these ads!

brake dust/grease cover question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill Van Dyke, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

anybody running their early ford brakes without those pesky grease covers inside the backing plates?

2. gas pumper

gas pumper

Yup, my brakes don't have them and when I had everything apart. I don't see any problem running them this way. But If I had old leaky seals they would be nice.

I thought it would have been nice to have them on there, but they weren't there and it's OK.

You can send me yours :D

Frank

3. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

They can be a real pain in the arse, that's for sure! Especially if you're running a hoop arm for your steering that needs nuts on the inside. I've had to split them on the top edge and re-tack them together after installation several times. My cars have all had them and I've never seen any appreciable ammount of grease there. I might just leave them off the current project!

4. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

If I had 'em you could have 'em Frank..Guess nobody repops these. At my age, I doubt I'll wear the seals out!

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

They were installed at the factory because back them the axles seals were made of leather. With modern seals they're not necessary.

6. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Thar's what I love about old cars..There's probably 100 guys sitting in the garage right now all pissed off staring at the same damn part! Thanks guys

7. if i had them i would use them , if i didn't have any i wouldn't worry about it too much. on my current project i do have a pair so i will be using them. FWIW i see them on ebay sometimes and they usually go cheap