Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Brake drum sizes for Ford juice brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by qzjrd5, Jan 1, 2019.

1. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Have a set of rear drums I’d like to use on a 40 banjo rear but they are 1.75” wide which seems narrower than the 2.125” I’m used to seeing on original drums.

I’ve included some pics below. They seem to have the proper taper for the banjo and were on a 32 banjo with juice brakes but they don’t look like they were ever run.

What do you guys think?

Thanks. Mike

Attached Files:

2. alchemy

alchemy

They aren't the normal 1940 Ford shape. Maybe aftermarket. Do they fit your brakes? If they fit, why not use them?

Does the wheel mounting surface have a flat all around the studs? The pic is hard for me to see if there is a raised area inboard of the studs. If so, it might mean they were intended for a 1935 or before, with wire wheels.

3. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

those look like '35 mechanical brake drums, not sure they will work with hydraulics .

4. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Thanks for the responses.

They are flat mounting for the wheels.

Why wouldn’t they work?

Attached Files:

5. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

6. alchemy

alchemy

Doesn't really look flat. Hold a straight edge across so you can see if the inside mounting surface will support a wheel.

7. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Yep. Shoulda looked closer. Someone half-ass ground down the raised sections inboard of the studs. Was planning to run wires anyway. Hmmm. Maybe if I ground them flat and used a wire wheel adapter (second pic) it would still work.

Attached Files: