Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brake drag

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barn-core, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Barn-core

Barn-core

I finally got to take the T bucket around the block again, no more shimmy. But of course now there is a new problem. I noticed when I pulled back into my driveway, the front brakes were smoking. I am running disc brakes up front, is there any way to adjust the drag on these, or would you have any other suggestions. This is a completely new system, and this is only the second time I've had this thing around the block. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Barn-core.

2. check for free play on the rod going into the master cylinder and that the piston inside is returning all the way

3. Is your M/C made for drums all the way around?

If so, it may have a residual pressure valve in both outlets, which is supposed to keep the brake shoe springs from pushing the pistons down in the wheel cyl's (if you didn't have residual pressure, you'd have to pump the brakes once every time you wanted to stop - just like if you had adjusted all the brakes wayyyy too loose).

The residual pressure valve in a drum-brake type master will keep the pads dragging against the rotors all the time.

Just .02; worth less adjusted for inflation. May or may not be solution to your problem. Best of luck.

4. guiseart

guiseart

yeah - make sure the footfeet is coming back... sometimes there is "play" until you drive around and heat them up awhile, then the play is gone.

5. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

when you go around the block and come back with brakes smoking you should be able to open the bleeder on a caliper and it will shoot fluid out if so you have a residual valve for drums which holds back ten lbs of pressure to componjsate for the drum springs on the shoes. or the rod is not traveling to a neutral position ... good luck

6. sawzall

sawzall

you may also have a bad caliper.. or a bad brake hose..

It looks like I will be fighting the same problem this week.. as on the last ride in my 47 chevy I noticed a pull to the left at breaking.. I am thinking the rubber line is damaged or the caliper is dragging..

7. Barn-core

Barn-core

I've got a disc/drum master, and I have a 2 psi. residual valve up front for the discs.

8. Definatly check the free play in the m/C any slight pressure will build up residual pressure