Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Brake bleeding question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959 F100, May 10, 2016.

1. 1959 F100

1959 F100

I replaced the front brake hoses on My '54 Buick and bled those 2 wheels. Took it for a road test and they still seem "spongy", had to push pedal down halfway and took extra distance to get to whoa up. Do I need to go ahead and bleed the rear wheels now as well?

2. If they are still spongy you still have air in the lines,is the master cylinder single or dual? HRP

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yes.............. well, maybe. :confused:

How was the pedal before you changed the hoses? If full pedal, then there is still air in there somewhere. When you bleed them, you need to open the line several times to be sure you get all the air displaced. Be SURE to keep an eye on the level of fluid in the master cylinder so you don't inadvertently start pumping more air into the lines.

Ray

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

you do know you have two threads on this question, don't you? I'm not answering the other.:D

Ray

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. 1959 F100

1959 F100

It is a single master cyl

6. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

cant hurt to bleed all the old fluid out anyway....do the rears first, furthest from MC first

Hnstray likes this.
  7. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

I sucked mine through, when I was having the same problem. Used a big syringe, put a 1/4" rubber hose on it and onto the brake nipple, and drew fluid through all the way from the MC. Nobody was more surprised than me that it worked.

This is the sort of crap you have top do when you are a billy-no-mates. :(

Hnstray likes this.
  8. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

you can get those oil suction guns at harbor freight for a few bucks and they work as well

9. cfmvw

cfmvw

I usually put a vacuum line on the bleeder screw and place the other end in a partial container of brake fluid. Open the bleeder and pump the brakes a few times; purges the air out and prevents it from being sucked back in.

10. Single master, bleed everything and make sure the brake shoes are adjusted properly. This makes a big difference in a good high pedal... or not.