Register now to get rid of these ads!

brake bleeder using on old oil pump???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Dan

Dan

I seem to remember someone building a brake bleeder using an oil pump but cant find it using the search...
    Anyone help me out here?? thanks-

2. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

3. Dan

Dan

thanks, thats the one!

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I made a brake bleeder using an old refrigerator pump for a vacuum pump. Worked great.

Took the pump out of the refrig (or air conditioner) and mounted it on a piece of plywood. Use the smallest one you can find. Then, screwed a tin can to the plywood and dropped a pickle bottle in the tin can. Took the lid off the can and soldered 2 pieces of tubing into it. Connected the pump to the lid with a piece of clear plastic tubing and used the rest of the tubing (10 ft) to connect the brake bleeder.

On the electric wire to the pump, put an in line switch like a swag lamp.

Works like this. Connect the hose to the bleeder, open bleeder 1/2 turn. Start pump, when you see brake fluid in the clear hose the bleeding is done, shut off the bleeder and on to the next.

I did a complete brake job on a 66 Dodge, replaced all the lines, wheel cylinders, master cylinder, the whole system was dry. With this device I bled the whole system in half an hour, solo, and did not get a drop of brake fluid on the floor.