Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Brainfart on early Ford brake adjustment

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by khead47, Jan 28, 2016.

1. khead47

khead47

Anyone that has had experience with adjusting early ford brakes knows what a PITA they are.
    I will soon be doing a complete brake job on my 1940 Ford. I have previously done brakes on my '41 Merc, and 48 Merc. No fun at all.
    Looking through my old Motors Manual I seen that they used an indicator on a swinging arm that was used to adjust the shoes for the newly turned drums, and also adjust for max. contact. The arm attached to the spindle.
    I am thinking that one could take a worn out drum, turn it for concentricity, and cut a window in it to check clearances between drum and shoes. With simple math, one could determine positioning using feeler gages.
    So fellow hoodlums, waddaya think?

2. gas pumper

gas pumper

I'm thinking you are talking about centering the bottom of the shoes by way of the eccentric anchor pins. I do it by backing off the uppers, than bringing in the bottom until it just touches and slightly drags. Than adjust the top. Sometimes you got to go back and forth to get a slight drag on both shoes even. I like old Ford Brakes.

3. khead47

khead47

Gas pumper. Thanks, been there. Now that the EPA has just about prohibited brake shoe arcing machines, have you ever arched the shoes with sticky back sandpaper on the drum and manually sanded the shoes?

4. gas pumper

gas pumper

No, but that sounds like it would work... but very slow.

5. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I'd do the drum but in addition to the window I would drill a hole on the od and mount a dial indicator to stick through the hole and contact the shoes..I think it would beat a feeler Gauge..

6. khead47

khead47

^^^^ Thanks seb! that is a great idea.

7. DeucemanLt1

DeucemanLt1

I don't think the turned, worn out drum would help you as it would not be the right ID. It would be too big. Gas Pumper has the right idea. I never had any trouble adjusting my 40 fronts and 46 rears. Good luck.

8. khead47

khead47

^ DeucemanLt1---ID of turned worn out drum minus ID of new drum to be used divided by two plus maybe .010 for clearance would be thickness of feeler gage.

9. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

They talk about arcing the shoes to the drum a lot over at the Fordbarn in the Model A section. Some say they use the sandpaper and drum method you mentioned. The luckier ones have a machine that fastens to the spindle to do this.
    I had always thought that the reason the later brakes had the eccentric adjustments was to get away from having to do this.I have a Model A with the later juice brakes on it, but I havent worked on the brakes yet. Since I know that day will come, I'm curious to see what you come up with.
    Good Luck!

10. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Here's how you adjust 1940 Ford brakes. Emergency brake adjusment is also shown below.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016