Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bracket Racing Rules? Tech?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drag_punk, Mar 20, 2006.

1. drag_punk

drag_punk

Well, next month I'm going down to Denver to run my car at the strip and I just wanted some input on what tech will be checking for. I'll be running 15's or 16's somewhere in there. I shouldn't have to fix much but I thought I'd run it by you guys to be sure that I am prepared when I get down there. Thanks!

2. squirrel

squirrel

things they usually catch....mag wheels with the wrong studs/nuts, the stud has to extend into the hex area of the nut, generally they want 3" studs and open ended nuts if you have wheels with an aluminum center.

battery relocation...if it's in the trunk you need a cutoff switch that will also kill the engine, switch outside on the back of the car. also battery mounted with 3/8" bolts, and metal bulkhead between trunk and passenger compartment.

throttle return springs....they like to see two springs.

fuel line....no more than 6" total flexible rubber fuel line in the whole fuel system!

driveshaft loop for cars in the 13s or quicker.

roll bar for cars in the 11s, with other associated goodies you need like up to date harness and the right jacket.

Bring a modern helmet with it's rating sticker intact.

Do yourself a favor and buy the NHRA rulebook for $10 (at their web site) before you go, look it over carefully.

3. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

And a coolant catch can, necessary at 99% of tracks. take white shoe polish with you. Friday night fun drags usually don't check things too hard, but overprepared is better than watching from th stands.

4. Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

What kind of car? For instance, topless cars have different rules than ones with tops on them. I second the notion of buying a rulebook. If you don't get one before you go, they will no doubt be available at the track. I looked on Bandimere's web site for their safety rules, but couldn't find any. Here is a link to Wichita International Raceway's safety rules. They are general enough to apply to most tracks I've been to.

http://www.teamwir.com/safety_req.htm

5. #1 Overflow can for your coolant system.

#2 Proper or adequate battery hold down.

#3 Neutral safety switch.

If the car has been modified extensively... there are quite a few more rules.

Sam.

6. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Sam covered the basics that should get a 15-second car throught tech. Seat belts are another. Also, I've seen slow cars not let in because they look unsafe. I know nothing of your car, but if it looks unsafe they might not let you run.

Just throwing things out there... I've seen cars without side glass get turned away... shaved door handles also (noway for someone outside the car to get you out quick if you are on fire and knocked out)

7. Dugg

Dugg

Get a NHRA (No Harley Rules Applied) rule book. Bandimere Speedway supplimnets this book with a couple of little things. Call "Sporty" or "Larry" at Bandimere and tell what you want to do. Ask'em what you need to do. It usually rains or snows on opening day so dress warm.... lyeah,like you need to be told that living in Laramie...... Douglas Wyoming has a great track, a great rown and really great people. Get their schedule as I think they run only a couple of weekends a month.

8. drag_punk

drag_punk

Thanks everybody,
    The car is a late sixties chevy (Innapropriate HAMB car), mostly stock, here's the rundown.
    Small block
    automatic
    stock rear(3.36)
    It's a clean original, not a thrasher
    I have two sets of wheels, stock with original hubcaps or vintage slots with wide rears(radials), they have the appropriate length McGuard lugs with stock studs.
    Prior to then I will be running steel fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb,
    Relocating the Battery to the trunk inside a battery box, mounted to the floor,
    thanks to my new home made ram air unit that goes to the inner headlights.
    Installing a radiator catch can
    and anything else that must be done.

Actually after checking the schedule again I will just be going to Tech and Test on April 22, not a bracket race due to school, work etc.
    If anyone is going on that day, let me know.

9. As several have said, for a basic street car you need:
    1. all the lug nuts and proper depth
    2. radiator overflow catch can
    3. seat belts (lap only is OK for slower cars)
    4. battery hold-down
    5. neutral safety switch, or start only in park

They will most likely have you remove hubcaps. I would not bother trying to open the exhaust unless it is really easy, it will not have much effect on your mild car. Removing the air filter will make more power, but be aware that it could suck more dirt and junk into the engine. Slicks require a driveshaft loop. Faster car requires a rollbar and faster yet requires a roll cage and approved 5-point harness. I agree, get a rule book and then show up as being prepared and knowledgeable about the rules, you can then run down the track and have fun.

10. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

bout covered , however yoou are moving batt to rear at which time it must be held with two 3/8 inch studs to the floor and a rear cut off is required however rarely enforced on that mild a car........ :cool: be safe and have fun

11. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

Hey guys, this is a street car not a super pro car!!! Battery secured, belts, coolant catch can, aftermarket shifter must have neutral safety switch. Thats about it..
    My model a runs 7.70's in the eighth mile (12.00's for you 1/4 mile guys) and thats all they look for...

Spoons
    NHRA # 3075 S/G

12. Special Ed GT

Special Ed GT
    from Denver-ish

I might be up there teching that day. Give me a pm the day before; we can meet up. I have a rulebook if you need to borrow it but like the others have said, you should be ok with the times you'll be running.

Hank

13. DrDano

DrDano
    Alliance Vendor

Hey Special Ed! Incase you haven't figured it out, Drag_Punk here is the kid I suckered into helping me deliver MY shoebox to your place last month. I'll be down there too. Wanna loan me the keys to the Silver Bullet for a spin down the track? :)

14. tjm73

tjm73

This will irritate some people but oh well......... bracket racing is a misnomer. Bracket racing is not racing. In bracket racing you are not racing the guy inthe other lane you are running against your own expected time down the track and the guy next to you is doing the same. It then gets presented as a "race" to the fans because the cars are finishing there runs at close to the same time atthe top end of the track.

If you aren't both getting the green light at the same time, it's not a race. If you get beat, you were out gunned. If you don't like that, get more power and/or become a better driver.

Bracket racing sucks.

15. Bracket racing was inveneted because heads up racing is expensive.

In heads up racing... after a couple of seasons... it ends up being "the man with the most money and resources wins"

If it were not for bracket racing... most of the drag strips that are out there would be out of business.

I have to ask you tjm73... have you ever competed in a bracket race? Heads up race? Both? And how often? What type of car?

Or are you shooting from the hip from a fan's perspective?

Because yea... from a guy standing in the stands... "Bracket racing sucks"...

Sam.

16. tomslik

tomslik

i dunno, i understand brackets and handicap racing so i don't mind watching altho the "super" classes with the delay boxed,throttlestop shit makes m,e get up and pee....

17. Special Ed GT

Special Ed GT
    from Denver-ish

Hey Dano! No, I hadn't figured that one out - I misplaced my geritol again. I'll tell you what - I'll drive the Silver Bullet if you drive the Altered!

Hank

18. tjm73

tjm73

I know why bracket racing was created. And it has less to do with it being expensive than it does to do with people whining and complaining (outloud or not) that they can't compete and that's not "fair" to them. Waaahhhh!!! 'His car's faster. That's not a fair race. I can't compete. Let's put the car's on a dial so I can feel good about being slower but still "win" a race.'

I've participated in bracket racing and heads up racing on a weekly bases in a streetcar. Both as a racer and as an observer. Not for money though. I've watched a lot of for money bracket races and heads up stuff too.

I just don't think racing on a "I believe I'll run this fast but not faster" number is racing. Winning at the top end because the other guy "broke out" or because you let off to run closer to your dial is complete bullsh!t. I've seen it happen many times. And IMO makes it about who has the better ability to run their "number" not about who has the fastest car and can actually drive it and outdrive the other guy like it should be about.

I've beat faster cars in heads up racing because I left them at the tree and because I've out driven them. That's racing. And I've lost races because I ran "too fast" while the other guy was half a second under his "dial". Or becasue the other guy spiked his brakes and ran almost exactly his dial. That is not racing.

IMO a race is two cars getting the green at the same time and the first one across the finish line is the winner. Anything else I don't want to be bothered with. I won't race brackets, I won't watch brackets unless the cars have something interesting going on. Bracket racing is about as exciting as watching paint dry.

19. tomslik

tomslik

you must like watching the pro's oil down the track....

20. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

Your HO is technically correct but full of crap just the same.
    It's not really a race when you know what the outcome is gonna be time after time after time,sans breakage.
    You obviously have not spent much money or time playing the heads up game or you wouldn't be spewing this crap out of your keyboard like,"it has less to do with it being expensive than it does with people whining and complaining".
    It strikes me as fairly obvious you don't believe what you say in your heart of hearts or you would've been putting your money where your keyboard is and felt the truth of the matter.
    You sound a little like a playground bully who only puts his money where his mouth is when he is certain the other kid doesn't stand a chance.
    In a perfect world money wouldn't matter to "heads up racing",but the fact is it ain't a perfect world and much more often than not in the heads up game money does matter.
    Goodguys J/F and 10.5 tire street car racing being modern cases in point.
    Maybe you oughta bring your "street car" and your money to the HAMB Drags and put your money where your keyboard is and show the HAMB world or hell just me,just how much you really believe what you say.It could turn out to be an interesting and educational excercise.
    In any event sorry to be on a rant in a thread that has nothing to do with this subject,but I find this opinion a tad offensive.

21. tjm73

tjm73

Not particularly.

What I do like as a competetor and a spectator is this race group in my home town at the track I grew up about 5 miles from. www.momsracing.com

Basically you make 3 all out runs then the best of the three is used to create a ladder with the other racers. You are simply matched by the closest e.t. and then you run one race win or lose, heads up, pro-tree .400 light. Some times the faster cars wins, sometimes it loses. But it's real racing and both guys have a chance to win without "dial ins". Fans love it. Racers love it. There are few rules. The night's this series run is one of the busiest highest attendance night that track has. It's basically safe street racing.

22. tjm73

tjm73

Oklahoma is a little too far away but I'll race you anytime at any track in a heads up race no matter what you run if our paths ever cross. Racing for me isn't about money though. It's about the race. The fastest car doesn't always win.

And I absolutly believe what I have said or wouldn't have said it.

Also you have every right to be offended. As I said in the first post in this thread.... "This will irritate some people but oh well......... "

23. drag_punk

drag_punk

Well I don't care what any of you think Bracket Racing is, I'm just going down to have a good time and bullshit with my buddies. I'm a college student I can't afford anything but what I'm doing so fuck it.
    By the way I got my steel fuel line all done, next will be re-routing my battery cables, also got a shut off switch thanks to 51leadsled.

24. tjm73

tjm73

I never said it couldn't be fun in the right context.

Any pics of your car?

25. drag_punk

drag_punk

Here's one pic

Attached Files:

• 68.JPG
      68.JPG
      File size:
      44.8 KB
      Views:
  26. tjm73

tjm73

Nice. I like that body style of those cars. Love the front end design. Esp on an El Camino.

27. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

There are rules in heads up racing too. Your idea of turning the light green, anything goes and first one to the end wins would mean there could only be 1 class. Top Fuel cheaters. Even heads up classes like Pro Stock have rules that favor 1 combination over another. How many Fords have you seen win besides Bob Glidden over the years? Surely good ol boy Bob wouldn't cheat, would he? Or maybe NHRA gave him an edge in the rules to put Ford Fans in the stands? And how bout those Mopars that were stolen just before they were to be inspected. It's not their fault they couldn't put together another winning combination for a couple years after that after owning the class, right? You want a fair heads up race? Run naked and leave the cars out of it. Even then, you'd have guys on steroids or speed. Frankly I don't see the difference between a staggered start on the tree and a restrictor plate, weight, engine or body mod allowances or other some other restriction on some cars to even it out with a heads up tree in a class like pro stock. There are reasons those cars run so close that have nothing to do with heads up racing. You just don't see it as a fan like you do the brake light comming on at the top end in bracket classes.

28. tjm73

tjm73

This is why I'm not into seriuosly competitive racing. All that stuff you mentioned is crap. I am aware of the rules and I don't care for rules. Too structured. Too much "leveling of the playing field". I think it stifles some development ideas. There's no cheating if there's no rules. What works, works.

29. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

No rules, no problem. I'd just shoot your ass then drive your car down the strip to see for myself how fast it is...:cool:

30. Dugg

Dugg

Were they to do away with bracket racing - run only heads up classes, there would be a dramatic reduction in the utilization of track real estate as many racers (implied term) would be sitting at home saving up for the unatainable goal of spending enough to be competitive or they'd street their race cars or sell'em and buy boats and airplanes. Yes, a long, but complete sentence there.

So, bracket racing exists for the many who like a quick and safe ride. The alternative of street racing is unacceptable - ethically, morally, legally and self-respecting..ly. So, there shall be no street racing for the powers of civil prejudice shall prevail and the ugly, reprehensible, disgusting and criminal street racer shall forever be condemned to hell's lowest circles to protest in vain whilst serving eternity mixed with companions of the-practice-of-law and other social undesirables.