Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brace yourself...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grf-x, Mar 20, 2012.

1. grf-x

grf-x

Just curious if anyone here has added reinforcements or bracing to their shoebox hood? I have noticed that mine is heavy from the undercoating that was sprayed on it. When I open it and prop it open with the one steel prop it has, it flexes and is lopsided after propping open. Is this normal? I have read that people are quick to insist that you not weld anything to the hood cuz they are prone to warping from the heat. I would like to remove the undercoating, brace then paint it.

My shoebox is a 1951 ford custom fordor. Any thoughts are appreciate on the matter.

2. i have not braced a shoe box hood but have braced henry J hoods using 1" tubing.

3. gregk

gregk
    from BC Canada

I noticed a shoebox at a local car show that had gas struts installed on the hood. It would stnd to reason that the struts would support the hood evenly from both sides.

4. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

reweld the factory braces over time the spot welds break.

5. wow that would be alot of undercoating maybe just by removing the undercoat it would help

you might have what i found in my shoeboxs hood a couple days ago the whole front nose was covered in over a 1/4inch of bondo ...not pretty heres a link to thread i started on it.....just bought the metal today to start fixing it

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=680594

6. BJR

BJR

Red Neck fore play..... brace yourself Betty Lu

7. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

My 51 Ford had springs on the hood hinges and held itself up quite nicely and evenly.
    Does you hood still have the big brace across the back between the hood hinges?

8. I'd be more concerned with keeping it shut than having it flex when it's open. They do flex a bit, but they also tend to fly open.

9. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

ahhaha thank god for the souf.......er south;)

10. grf-x

grf-x

Working on that as well. The latch (not the safety one) that closes on the dowel/pin does not close. Seems to be stuck in the open position. I know it's not traditional, but I am considering adding gas struts (hiding them best I can of course). My son loves to be outside with me when I am working on the car. So I am going to try to do everything to make it safe and fun for him as well.