Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects bp1971 '29 roadster build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bp1971, Sep 19, 2010.

1. bonesy

bonesy

Looking great. You gotta love '28/'29 roadster on '32 rails.

2. Thanks Bonsey. I am kind of partial to the 28/29 on 32 rails...lol. I like that '32 5 window coupe in your avatar though.

3. Old Rod

Old Rod
    from Brazil, IN

Very nice build. Add me to list of admirers of 28-9's on deuce rails.
    Also like the Model A headlights. Bob

4. Progress update...Since I last posted I have done a few things. I have installed the lime works steering column and mocked up the steering (need to do some minor adjustments, but everything clears and works well).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I noched the rear of the body for axle clearance. I will do the frame when the body is taken off in the nexty couple of weks for body work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. billthx138

billthx138

Nice looking roadster, will follow the build.

6. Over the past few weeks, I stripped the body down to bare metal and finished filling in the holes on the fire wall. Today the body, grille shell, hood sides and other misc. parts went to the body guy. He was happy to see that I stripped the car for him... Very excited to see the finised product.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The body guy has already done the doors and the deck lid.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  7. I stopped by the body guys house today to check on the the progress... the body work is off to a great start!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also got my axle and spindles back from the Chrome shop. They came out great...Thanks to New Age Chrome.

[​IMG]

8. k32t

k32t
    from Hog town

Nice work I thought the body would sit on a sub frame then the 32 rails. I will re design. Thanks.

9. 510madmav

510madmav

Cherry body ya got there.

10. After a long break, I 've decided to change directions a bit with the rear suspension... I removed the parallel 4-bar set up with exception of the brackets on the axle and went with a ladder bar/coil over set up using the coil over brackets on the axle. I figured now was the time to do this while my body is still in body work. I think they came out great!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  11. Update..the body work on the roadster body is about finished. I think it will be done by the end of the month. Mean while I have finished up the body work on th frame, doors, grille shell, hood, hood sides. All of which have been put in to primer, all ppg products. I started with epoxy primer and then used fill primer. I am now in the process of blocking all the parts of the car I primered...blocking is boring, but a necessary evil. I will post pictures later.

12. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

be waiting,coming along very nice

13. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Really a well put together little hot rod. I wouldn't change a thing on it. Bet it feels good to be nearing the finish line. :)

Don

14. Thanks for the nice comments. The end is so close and yet so far.

15. I really like the way you did your trailing arms. I'm soaking up ideas off the HAMB for when I start the re-do on the chassis for the greaseslapper.

16. Thanks Mike. It took a bit of planning, but I think the ladder bars came out great too. If you need better pictures I would be glad to send them to you.

17. Update: My dad and I are building a rotisserie out of a couple of engine stands to mount the frame on so applying the final coat of primer will be much easier, also the painter requested the we do this for him. I went Friday to buy paint, I have decided to go with a single stage since I am painting it all black...HOLY SMOKES, paint is really expensive., I knew this but, wow I exprienced a little bit of sticker shock. My dad and I had to travel to the a neighboring town to buy the paint since our area's voc rules don't allow the jobbers to sell the good stuff. At any rate, 1 1/2 gallons plus the hardners and reducer was $600.00. I bought ppg DAR Delstar 9000 (Factory pack black) acrylic enamel. The ppg DCC Concept 9700 was way out of my price range, so the jobber said that the delstar was an excellent paint and a very black black. I also called my painter and he said the delstar was good paint as well. So, the adventure continues...

18. chevydave1965

chevydave1965
    from Iowa

19. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Yep, the trick is to just keep moving forward with the good quality workmanship that you're doing. Dont get in a hurry and start going cheezy on stuff. Looks really good!

20. Update... Well, since I last posted I had built a rotisserie for the frame to be primed, blocked and then painted. Well, the frame was primed, blocked twice, primed again, wet sanded, and painted. This has been the theme of my summer... prime, block, prime, block, prime again and then wet sand. But, the paint has cam out awesome so far. The painter currently has the doors, head light buckets, hood and sides, and the grille shell. I am currently in the stages of blocking the body and deck lid as well as assembling the chasis. Below are some pictures of the progress:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Nasty...Oh yeah!!!

22. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Sweeet! Keep it up!

23. Thanks. Will do!

24. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

lookin good

25. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's our Father/Son project years ago 1982.

Attached Files:

26. Duece Daddy, thanks for sharing your photos, those roadsters look great!

27. Update: I finally got around to painting the motor and transmission and getting them mounted back into the frame. This past week I installed my drive-line, the exhaust up to the mufflers, transmission cooloing lines and solid fuel line. I will be getting the body back from the painter next weekend, so I hope to have the brakes bled, vac. lines hooked up, and the trans mission lines completed. We'll see...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]