Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects bp1971 '29 roadster build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bp1971, Sep 19, 2010.

1. The story: This is my first build, but have grew up building cars with my dad...My first car was a 70 SS chevelle buolt by my dad and myself. (still wish I had that car). At any rate I decided it was time that I build my self a hot rod and I have always liked model a roadsters Highboys. The opportunity came for my to purchase a '29 roadster body and '32 frame rails so I pulled the trigger...the Mrs. was not to thrilled.

What I have done so far:
    1. I had the frame pinched by the guys at Kiwi konnection
    2. After pinching the frame rails I boxed them.
    3. Installed front and rear cross members, After fitting the body to the rails several times and bobbed the frame.
    4. built the center cross member
    5. Mocked up motor and trans., tacking in the motor mounts.
    6. Set up front suspension,
    7. Narrowed the rear end to 59 1/2"
    8. Set rear 4 bar suspension. Made this fully adjustible by using tubing that is threaded on both ends. One end is a left hand thread, the other end is a right had thread. This allows me to move the rear axle with out having to take the linkage apart.
    9. Started mounting the body. Removed some of the rear sub frame on the body so the body would go over the '32 rails kick up in the rear.
    10. Pie cut the front cowl to eliminate the gap between the body and the frame.

Pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  2. loco_gringo

loco_gringo

Looking good bro. Keep it up.

3. brady1929

brady1929

4. bct

bct

i like the cowl treatment...keep on keepin' on

5. A lot more fitting and welding has taken place since I last posted... The body has been bolted to the frame, rear sub rails cut out and re-shaped to match the up -kick of the '32 rails, rear corners patched, and the front cowls have been "pie cut" so the body would sit flat on the '32 rails. Radiator, grille shell and hood and latches installed...hood sides to follow later this week. Here are some current pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Looks great, good luck with the build ! The Mrs. will come around........

Still think that is the best looking combination going, a '28 - '29 Roadster body on Deuce rails.

Keep us posted on the progress.

Johnnie.

7. studebakerdave

studebakerdave

8. hasty

hasty

Looking good - but will you use those tyres?

9. Thanks guys. Those tires are just rollers so I can move it in and out of the garage. Not sure on what tire/wheel combo I am going with just yet.

10. joee

joee

Nice......good planning and skills. Sharp thinking on the cowl cutting. Just hope the motor mounts aren't sbc.....

11. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Timeless, Still the best combination of early parts going IMO.

Frank

12. I Spent the afternoon fitting the hood sides and the hood. Here are some pictures today's work/progress...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm still have a ways to go before the hood and sides is done,but I think that they are shaping up very nicely.

13. It's been awhile since I've posted...so here is an update. I was able to take advantage of spring break last week and get some stuff done.

Installed the trunk latch in the inner curved panel ( I plan on shaving the trunk handle)
    [​IMG]

Installed the rear roll pan

[​IMG]

Took apart the front sheet metal on the car and fit the motor and transmission.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I will have to trim the bottom of the firewall due the transmission just barely hitting it.

Since I had the motor in the car, I installed the front shock mounts
    [​IMG]

Set my seat in the car to see how it fit (the seat came from Bengels, and I could not be happier with the quality, fit, and his customer service.)

[​IMG]

Started filling in the holes around the car ( I still have to do the fender wells and trunk lid.
    [​IMG]

I also chopped split the adjustable bronze stanchions that I have to fit the 4" chopped windshield. They are being welded up this week. I will post pictures of the finished product later this week.

Next up is to do the floor and fit the steering column...we'll see

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  14. Just finished up chopping my bronze windshield stanchions...

After the stanchions were chopped, they were split to match the tapper and then TIG welded back together. I took out about 4 1/2" form the stanchions.
    [​IMG]

Finished pieces
    [​IMG]

Mocked up on the car
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Windshield looks great.. Nice job.....

16. Malcolm

Malcolm
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Looking good, man... keep it going!
    Where did you get your hood top and sides from?

Malcolm

17. Thanks guys. Hood and sides came from Rootlieb in Turlock, CA. They do a great job and great customer service as well. Malcolm, your car car looks great, I enjoy reading your updates, it inspires me to keep going on mine.

18. Put on the headlight stands tonight and then started looking at different kinds of headlights. I am partial to the model A head lights.

[​IMG]

But, I do like the Dietz 9-82 that I have as well

[​IMG]

Decisions, decisions...

19. Malcolm

Malcolm
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

I know you didn't ask, but I like the bigger Model A headlights.. :)

20. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Good looking roadster! Glad to see another one come together so close to home.

I too dig the A headlights!

21. hammeredrods

hammeredrods

That's bitchen .good job dude

22. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

coming together,looking damn good

23. Okay, it's been awhile since I posted last...trying to close out the school year, spend time with the family, coach rugby, etc. has not left a lot of time for me to work on the car. however, since the last post I was able to spend some time making up the floor sections out of some 16 gauge sheet metal at by buddies sheet metal shop (American Sheet Metal). This week, I have been installing the floor sections...note the pictures below

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rear section gave me the most issues, since the it is no longer flat. I had to get creative to make it work, I think overall the floor came out good.

24. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

cool,it'll be a solid ride

25. Thanks, solid is what I am hoping for...:)

26. I spent some time this evening making the cross brace behind the seat. The plan is to attach the bulk head that will separate the driver form the gas tank. The brace really stiffened the car up.

[​IMG]

27. I finished up the transmission tunnel tonight...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Over the past few weeks I mocked up my tail lights and license plate holder..

[​IMG]

And installed the bulkhead behind the seat as well as filling the upper apron:

[​IMG]

And today I put in my floor mount for my steering column, I hope to have this installed this weekend.

[​IMG]